My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Lucy has started to attack Bon more and more. At night I need to lock Lucy out of my room as she will just attack. When they've calmed down she will lick her and they are okay.

Bon has slept with me for 2 years this isn't a new thing. I have captured a video, it's all bitch they don't draw blood I'm covered in bruises pulling them apart. I realise a behaviourist is in order but what could have changed in a week?

The only sleeping arrangement that has changed is I slog my bedroom suite waiting for a new one and am on a mattress on the floor until it arrives. We moved into a new apartment yesterday. https://vimeo.com/112749527

I needed to get this video to show, I'm pretty sure I'm the stimulus

Edited by donatella

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitches are bitches :(

You have two now mature bitches confined for long periods ..

One unwell dog

Stress due to your anticipating a move to new unit , etc

Not surprising to hear of this development.

please contact a professional and get them to assess the situation.

Edited by persephone

Guest donatella

Yes I don't doubt that because I one turn completely feral. And right now they're playing! Will email the vid to a few professionals and see who can get here Lucy won't act up in front of a stranger

Our two bitches started fighting once our youngest hit about 18 months, and now they have to be permanently separated. When they are alone (our male dog can open the back door so we have had a few escapes), they are perfectly fine together. However, if people are around they will immediately start to fight. So far it's mostly noise, although we've had a few stitches needed on ears and some small puncture wounds. However, each fight does seem to escalate the aggression and tension between them, and so we really try to keep them away from each other and don't let either of them intimidate the other.

Being much bigger dogs than yours, it is incredibly nerve-wracking to have to wade in there and pull them off each other. Hence why it is easier just to keep them away from each other.

If they were mine, I'd probably keep them separate if possible until you can get a professional opinion on the matter. Play (especially really excited play) can very easily turn into a fight, and it really looks like poor Bon is trying her best to avoid a confrontation in the video you have posted until she has no choice but to react.

Hopefully this is a situation you can resolve, or at least work out how to manage. Our current experience has certainly made me aware of the issues that can exist with two bitches.

Guest donatella

Bon has nothing to do with it she currently lives in fear. This only happens when she's on the couch or on my bed etc which she has done her entire life so I'm not sure why Lucy is suddenly all high and mighty

Bon has nothing to do with it she currently lives in fear. This only happens when she's on the couch or on my bed etc which she has done her entire life so I'm not sure why Lucy is suddenly all high and mighty

perhaps because Bon is now adult , and has lost any 'puppy license' ?

Just watched that video - that ain't fighting - that is one dog attacking a submissive dog - = NASTY . :(

Nasty, they don't call them bitches for nothing. Could be anything, challenge for top dog, the move, sickness, a combination of all.

Behaviorist to assess, separate them (crates are good) until you have some professional help.

Poor Bon. She looks like she knew she was going to cop it

Moving can unsettle dogs and it wouldn't be unusual to see tension rise in this situation. That behavior though is going to get worse without the right training put in place. If you haven't already I would separate them during the day when you aren't there to supervise in case this is occurring when you're not there as well.

There is no way I would tolerate that behaviour in my house - definitely get professional help ASAP. In the meantime I wouldn't be letting either dogs have privileges like time on the lounge, bed etc.

Guest donatella

Lucy had been starting to attack in the mornings at about 5am randomly but this is when she would want to snuggle in for a pat. Lucy has never slept on he bed of her own accord she comes and goes as she pleases

Lucy had been starting to attack in the mornings at about 5am randomly but this is when she would want to snuggle in for a pat. Lucy has never slept on he bed of her own accord she comes and goes as she pleases

I would be putting some more rules and boundaries in place for Lucy ASAP. Things like being on the bed with you are privileges that my dogs earn through good behaviour, not something they can choose to do when they please. She needs to learn that access to resources she values comes through you, rather than thinking she controls them.

Guest donatella

At the moment Lucy has no privileges she is locked out of my room at night because I don't trust her. Need to get a crate to keep her confined and get back some power