Gorgeous Pup

Perfume

I found another pup which I really really like and spoke to the breeder at length. Very nice person, breath of fresh air. I really want this pup, the breeder was going to keep him for showing but he has 4 instead of 6 incisor teeth on his top jaw. Anyone had experience with this sort of thing? Should I or shouldn't I go ahead?

SLOW DOWN ............. the right puppy may be 6 months away . Why the rush? You have in NO way given yourself time to do your research ..... but I am SO glad you are asking D O L :)

BREATHE

ALL baby puppies are beautiful at first glance (and third) ..and we can be sucked in so easily ;)

RESEARCH each breeder/litter .

A pup with obvious missing teeth MAY ( and I am no expert) be the result of breeding to try & get a certain shaped muzzle?

The 'missing' teeth are possibly still in the jaw - with no room to descend . if this is the case - it will be expensive and tricky to fix ....

Xrays will be needed to verify this - and I would NEVER think about purchasing a puppy who needed vet examination /xrays to see something like this.

My suggestion.

Run away now.

I repeat. I saw three breeders and fell in love with two other pups before Ernie. I was heartbroken each time but I had been lurking here for years and knew to wait until the right boy; the right breeder and the right time.

I know you want a pup right now. Been there, done that. And while the dog I bought on impulse I don't regret -- she turned out to be everything I didn't want temperament wise.

This time, I waited. And had my heart broken. But Ernie is hands down on track to be one of the best dogs I've ever owned.

go and see the breeder and the pup: you appear to be in a hell of a hurry to buy a puppy.

Take your time: do your homework.

I'm keen to get a puppy but not in that much of a hurry, if I were I would have purchased a pup by now without asking questions. I am taking my time and doing my research hence why I also ask questions when speaking to breeders. :)

I had a bitch missing one of her top canines as a pup, there was a gap but no tooth had ever come down. We ran her on in case it came down and low and behold it did. Turns out she just didn't have the fourth canine as a baby for some reason but everything grew in normally when she got her adult teeth and has a perfect bite now.

Now I'm not saying this is the case with this pup, mouth problems could be a thing in the breed you're looking at for all I know. If you are really interested in this pup I'd be asking the breeder to send through a photo of the problem.

What breed are you looking at? In cresties poor dentition is common, but shouldn't be in most other breeds.

I'm open to either a Japanese Spitz, Shetland Sheepdog or Chihuahua. In this case, the pup with a couple of missing incisors is a Chihuahua. They're supposed to have 6 incisors and this pup has 4. Beautiful in every other way and exactly what I'm looking for.

What breed are you looking at? In cresties poor dentition is common, but shouldn't be in most other breeds.

I'm open to either a Japanese Spitz, Shetland Sheepdog or Chihuahua. In this case, the pup with a couple of missing incisors is a Chihuahua. They're supposed to have 6 incisors and this pup has 4. Beautiful in every other way and exactly what I'm looking for.

If you're open to any of those breeds, I don't think you know exactly what you're looking for. Not breeds I'd consider similar in temperament or trainability.

Is the pup missing incisors or pre-molars? It's only got baby teeth anyway so I don't consider it important but you need to listen the advice you have been repeatedly given about visiting the breeder and seeing the pup in the flesh.

You know nothing about its appearance or temperament other than what you have been told on the phone.

PLEASE don't be one of those DOLers who fails to heed sound advice, buys the first pup he/she can get their hands on and spends the next six months posting problem after problem that could have been TOTALLY prevented by more thoughtful, careful buying.

All very different breeds, maybe pick the breed you really want, and then contact breeders and go from there? It's nothing to wait 6 months to a year for your chosen breed, just ask people on here. :laugh:

Sorry, I don't have any experience with missing incisors, but I'd personally not take a pup who might incur a hefty vet bill down the track from the problem.

How can it be exactly what you are looking for when you have two longhaired, medium size dogs with very different types of temperament as well as a small toy dog. They are all chalk and cheese.

If it's from a breeder who selectively breeds with type, temperament, structure and soundness in mind and you don't intend on showing the pup then a couple of missing incisors is nothing in the scheme of things. You need to take into consideration the rest of the mouth and if it's a correct bite and not dreadfully over or under shot.

I agree with others you are in a rush & yet to now what breed you exactly want & why .

All 3 breeds very different ,

Step back ,picked the breed you want to actually live with for the next 12 plus years & then search for breeders & visit/talk & see who you click with .

You saw some pups a few days back that you obviously couldn't decide upon hence wanting 24 hrs now its another pup where they even the same breed .

Yes, you have a point in thinking I don't quite know what I want right now. I find all three breeds appealing and have researched their needs and temperament extensively and although they're very different, I know I could cope with each and everyone of them. No different to people who own more than one breed. I've had a chihuahua before so I know what is expected. My friend had a sheltie and I used to baby sit him when my friend travelled interstate on business. I've never had much to do with the JS but through my research and the advice I received from DOLers I have a pretty clear idea on what to expect. :)

Are you purchasing a main registered pup for showing or are you purchasing one as a pet/companion ?.

I'm not intending to show, I want one as a pet/companion. As far as Chihuahuas are concerned, I do prefer the apple head and the shorter snout, it doesn't have to be ultra short but definitely not long and pointy.