Brisbane Behaviourist - Female Rivalry

02Dogs

Hi,

I would really appreciate recommendations for a dog behavourist around Brisbane to help stop recent fighting between my two girls.

I understand there can be shifts as the younger dog reaches maturity and change may be inevitable, however, she still lacks confidents and can be a bit of a bully so I definitely don't want her being the dominant one yet, plus my older girl is not ready to back down anytime soon.

So if you have had a brilliant behaviourist help you with female rivalry in Brisbane PLEASE let me know!

Thank you!

Edited by 02Dogs

Guest donatella

See my thread below 'dogs are fighting' I'm in a similar situation and Jane harper from Dogs On Track has been recommended (I'm Brisbane too). I have booked her next weekend she charges $250 for a 3 hour consult + petrol

Thank you Caz but I wasn't proactive enough.

I came home to both dogs covers in blood, I am so lucky they stopped the fight themselves before I got home. They had another rumble (took about a minute to stop) with the older girl receiving more damaging, however, she did give chase to the younger when she ran away.

The signs were there - they stopped snuggling, the younger girl started sense marking on walks and excessively body blocking the older girl recently - I just completely failed to add them all up :-(

I'll give Jane a call.

Are there any other trainers anyone can recommend?

Edited by 02Dogs

Well don't beat yourself up over it, I've been in a similar situation myself and well and truly kicked myself for not recognizing the signs, but it's done now, so onwards and upwards.

Can you keep them separated for now? Bitches can be so ...well, bitchy! :laugh:

I don't know of any other trainers up that way, maybe someone from Qld will drop in for a recommendation.

:( Not good. hope you get assistance soon.

I definitely don't want her being the dominant one yet, plus my older girl is not ready to back down anytime soon

Unfortunately , it is not you who decides positions below your own dominant one - it is the dogs.

I agree and for the sake of the underdog you have to run with it.

My friend had exactly the same issue with her two female kelpies, it was chaos and her husband was bitten trying to separate the warring dogs. Cam Day resolved the problem for them and the dogs are doing great, it's a much more harmonious household. He's doing a Brisbane North visit on Dec 10 and has reduced travelling fees on that day. Worth considering.

I saw Jane.

My girls had another fight in front of her, however, I'm glad she saw it because both were acting a like butter wouldn't melt so at least she has witness their intensity and been able to identified the trigger. It took seconds to escalate, too quick to intervene.

The main trigger is resource guarding - people - plus my youngest is a beta dog and has hit maturity. However, my oldest made the first move yesterday, I'm going to get her checked for any under lying issues.

They're being crated (which they took to within minutes) near each other and rotated between inside and outside until we get the runs built. It's going to take some time to improve the situation. I'm also getting basket muzzles so they can start getting use to them before we try them loose together (that'll be a couple of months away) and flower remedies. Oh and they're not getting christmas presents this year!

I like how Jane took time to learn about the dogs and seems flexible with her approach. I've spoken to a lot of trainers lately and many seem to have a very rigid approach, which is useless to us because we know our girls learn differently.

I did contact Dr Cam Day and he also sounds good, but is on the other side of town and significantly more expensive.

Edited by 02Dogs

I'm so glad Jane's already called.... & seen a battle in action. So she can tailor strategies to what's actually happening.

I totally agree with you that training programs which are one size fits all are not useful.

I like how Jane took time to learn about the dogs and seems flexible with her approach. I've spoken to a lot of trainers lately and many seem to have a very rigid approach, which is useless to us because we know our girls learn differently.

The trainers who don't adhere to the concept of different strokes for different folks are doing a lot of harm. Glad you have seen Jane and getting it sorted.

I did contact Dr Cam Day and he also sounds good, but is on the other side of town and significantly more expensive.

I've heard nothing good about this man - one of the rigid ones it would seem to me and a self made celebrity LOL - and have had almost first hand experience :D via a niece of mine who went to him. She is one of those people who believes if you pay a lot the consultant must be good. All very sad for the dog involved. :mad

These are the two I've seen recommended for Brisbane area

Jane Harper

http://www.dogsontrack.com.au/

Craig Murray

http://www.dogschool.com.au/

I've had internet conversations with Nev and like the way they train but I don't know if they deal with problem dogs. They might be able to recommend someone tho.

Nev Allen

Border River Pet Resort

http://www.borderriverpetresort.com.au/

I work from home so my schedule is very flexible. I won't get my training program until next week, but I have started focus training and 'Nothing in life is free' approach.

Fingers crossed we can get them sorted because they did have a such beautiful relationship and I hate the idea of having to keep them permanently separated, but it thats what we end up having to do we will.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The girls have been doing well with NILIF and focus training (though the eldest can be impatient!)

However, I had a brain fail last week, they were able to get near each other and had another fight :-(

After the latest fight I moved their crates into different rooms, keeping them completely separate and blocking their ability to see each other as much as possible.

Muzzle introduction (just a couple of minutes at a time) is going well thanks to some tasty sausages! I've got one run up, the other run finally arrived today but they sent the wrong size :-/

Anyway, there is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go.

I would love people's opinion on the following......

Today I took my youngest outside for training and the eldest decided to sneak into the youngest's crate for a nap. Is this a territorial tactic?

I know the youngest would do the same if she could.

Today I took my youngest outside for training and the eldest decided to sneak into the youngest's crate for a nap. Is this a territorial tactic?

I think I'd be happy with this. I wouldn't be so happy if the dog had snuck in and done a pee/poop in the other dog's crate which I'd see as more of a territorial marking.

I'd also be a bit concerned that the not-working dog could get to the working dog's crate at all. How can you safely put the working dog away if the other dog is in the wrong crate.

Hopefully you've solved this one?

I confess that my dog and one of her friends spent a lot of time in my dog's crates. My dog loves all crates pretty much and so does her friend. She will go into any open crate given the opportunity. Doesn't really matter which dog calls it home (friend or foe).

She also likes to steal other dog's balls at the beach - but only if they give them to her ie abandon the ball because she's looking at them. She won't fight them or growl at them for it.