Golden Retriever Hates Being Brushed

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Does anyone else's dog really dislike being brushed? For as long as I can remember Hank hates getting his coat brushed, I have no idea why he's developed such a disdain for it. He has no problems with me handling him and he's not scared of the brush but he squirms a lot. I usually have to grab a hold of his collar to get him to stop trying to run away while I brush him. He has no issues taking treats but he'll take the treat and then try to run away :laugh: and if I do manage to get him to stop squirming he stands there and looks at me sadly like his life is over.

any tips?

side note: I've looked through is fur for any sore spots or hot spots and couldn't find anything so I suspect he's just being a brat.

Guest hankodie

Thanks aliwake, I was just worried that I'm scarring him for life or something with the way he carries on :laugh:

It's so weird because Odie loves being brushed! She will beg to be brushed and roll over so I can brush her tummy. It's just Hank the hairy beast who can't stand it

Guest hankodie

Is he like that with all brushes?

My dog, Del, generally enjoys being brushed but once I tried a new brush on her and she freaked out and headed for the hills.

Yes with all brushes! It's really weird. I'm gentle when I brush, I think he just doesn't like the sensation. Do dogs get ticklish? I don't know, he sort of squirms and his leg goes up like I'm giving him a really good scratch but at the same time he's trying to get away and looks really uncomfortable!

Guest hankodie

Ahhh ok that may be it. I use just one of those regular slicker brushes from a pet store because it gets all of the dead hair out.

I've been using the kong zoom groom - it's super gentle, and Nixon doesn't really mind it - the problem is that he wants to chew on it, so he won;t stay still :) It does a really good job of loosening top coat hairs, then I just have to run my hands over him after to gather all the loose hairs up.

I also use an undercoat rake, which is going well.

We were given a good rule at puppy preschool - try brushing your arm with it, and if it hurts or doesn't feel very nice on you, then your dog won't like it either.

Agree about using a softer brush initially. The slicker is good, but I use it for finishing, not for the initial brush.

Also - it's usually much more efficient and pleasant all round to dampen the coat with some sort of conditioner - or even plain water, from a spray bottle, before you start grroming. the first brush then is to spread the conditioner through the coat (Section by section).. Brushes and combs glide through much more easily. Rotating teeth combs are good to get hair out without pulling too much.

You can use baby conditioner well diluted, but my favourite grooming spray is Plush Puppy Revivacoat .. smells nice too :D

Revivacoat

There's an article on their site about grooming Golden Retrievers - haven't read it, but might be interesting Golden Retriever grooming

It's also easier to brush if the dog is able to stand or lie on a bench or table about waist height for you. Towel on an outdoor table will work well.

Do you try and brush him on the ground? I would get a grooming table with a grooming arm and noose and teach him to stand on that. Any table that is big enough and stable would do but IMO it is worth spending $120 or so to get a proper grooming table.

Makes life so much easier and you can do him at your level not bent over him.

Guest hankodie

Wow so much new info, thanks tassie for the link!

Yes I'm thinking the slicker brush might be too harsh for him I'll look into the Kong ones thanks for the recs!

Airedaler I brush him on the ground, I usually get him to sit. A grooming table is a good idea I just don't know how well he'd take it. He has fearful tendencies, nothing too bad but is a bit of a wuss and doesn't get over things as fast as Odie (my Frenchie) does.

The zoom groom brush is designed to be used while the dog is wet i.e when washing? :confused:

None of my dogs like the slicker brush but don't mind the pin type brushes. My favourite is a metal comb which th dogs don't mind either :)

Guest hankodie

Oh whoops is it? I don't brush him at all when I bathe him, should I be?

Another thing he hates is me trimming the fur on the bottom of his pads. I have not once nicked him with the scissors while doing this (despite him jerking his paws away occasionally) and as far as I can recall has never had any bad experiences with grooming. Yet he hates it! He will put up with it eventually but it's a pain trying to get him to not pull away.

Zero issues with clipping his nails or handling his paws, he's quite happy to have me do both. It's just the trimming, again it's almost as if he hates the sensation! Such a weirdo

Spencer is another one who dislikes 'harsh' brushes. When I got my furminator he stared to hate being brushed and looked all mopey and sad when I got it out. I got a zoom groom and he doesn't mind that (I use it wet and dry). What he loves though is just a regular human bristle brush... pity it doesn't get rid of much hair! I would give the zoom groom a go if I was you :)

Nova hates slicker brushes the most. He used to hate pet shop pin brushes, then I got a Chris Christensen polished wood pin brush, and it just glides through his hair. He will even roll over for me to brush his tummy now. He still hates his butt hair being brushed but he will tolerate it now.

I found having him up on a grooming table, or even just on top of his kennel helped heaps. Treat and leash (incase he decides to make a run for it) in one hand and brush in the other. Nova LOVES tomatoes, and grooming is the only time I give them to him. They are his extra special grooming treats laugh.gif

He doesn't particularly like his shedding rake either but being up on something and all our treat training he tolerates it.

I use a kong zoom groom just to finish after de-shedding, it gets any floaty hairs off before it rubs into me or the carpet. I actually prefer the cheaper Purina version, looks more like a horse brush.