Golden Retriever Hates Being Brushed

Guest hanko

Hankodie

Does he like being groomed with wet fingers? I find a rubber curry comb either the short zig zag tooth version or the long rubber finger version work well. For me they're better when they're dry or the coat is only slightly moist (shammy and towelled dry).

A damp Chamois (shammy) leather (even the fake variety from the $2 shops)... works well too.

I find this sort works really well

http://newmarketsaddlery.com.au/product/curry-comb-groomer/

The zoom groom works too but costs a lot more.

My dog isn't all that fussy but my ancient horse was extremely fussy - you couldn't use the plastic or hard brushes on him at all. But he liked the soft bristle brushes and the rubber curry combs.

start off with short strokes and gentle and work up gradually. And use food. Ie if you stand here while I brush you just a tiny bit - you can have some food...

And have something else handy that he can chew that isn't you or the brush. My dog likes chewing the rubber brushes but I like her to do that when the teeth on the brush are all worn down.

I have met a Labrador that doesn't like being brushed but she will accept wet finger brushing... At least when you're using your fingers you can feel out any knots or tender spots. So that might be a good way to start. And you can sneak a brush on to one hand when the dog isn't paying attention.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Ahhh ok that may be it. I use just one of those regular slicker brushes from a pet store because it gets all of the dead hair out.

Most dogs hate slicker brushes because they pull the hair. I always use a Mason Pearson Bristle/Nylon brush and all of my dogs have loved being brushed with it. Cheap brushes can bevery uncomfortable for the dog. A good brush is well worth the money and should outlast several dogs, cut grooming time down and keep the dog happy.

My guys love being brushed. I have groomed them both on a daily basis since puppy hood. Stella hated it as a youngster but now enjoys it & waits by Sonny's side as I grooming him for her turn each day. I just persisted in short intervals with them. Treats during the groom always help as puppies. As they are both desexed they have huge, thick coats. Neither of mine are keen on the slicker brush as it does pull their coat. So I use it sparingly on them. The same when I use the Mars Coat King. I use this to thin out their pants probably twice a year but only do one leg in the middle of brushing them all over, then I will do the other leg the next day. Don't want them to suffer any discomfort. They both love the Mason Pearson brush the best as well. I think it promotes healthy regrowth too.

Guest hankodie

Wow you guys are awesome owners, I haven't even bought a Mason Pearson brush for myself :rofl:

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll have to chuck out that slicker brush, I brushed it on my arm like aliwake said and it was pretty uncomfortable so I can totally see how he wouldn't like it. I have an old soft bristled hairbrush that I can use in the meantime while I look up everyone's recs.

You may need to invest in a bristle & nylon brush. You could still use the slicker on his fringes on his legs. All my shelties have been trained to lay down whilst getting groomed which makes it much easier whilst I am line brushing through their coats.

Wow you guys are awesome owners, I haven't even bought a Mason Pearson brush for myself :rofl:

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll have to chuck out that slicker brush, I brushed it on my arm like aliwake said and it was pretty uncomfortable so I can totally see how he wouldn't like it. I have an old soft bristled hairbrush that I can use in the meantime while I look up everyone's recs.

I haven't got a Mason Pearson brush for myself either Hankodie... I have a $20 boar bristle/nylon one from Priceline :laugh: :laugh:

I haven't got a Mason Pearson brush for myself either Hankodie... I have a $20 boar bristle/nylon one from Priceline :laugh: :laugh:

+1 :rofl: Although I did try the Mason Pearson brush I bought after being 'enabled' by dancinbcs :p , and was very tempted to keep it for myself. Both the BCs like it - including my girl who is not a huge fan of grooming. I still always spray the coat before grooming even with the MP.

I just discovered stuff for horses is usually cheaper and higher quality than stuff aimed at dog owners.

I bought a small Leistner horse brush for my lab, made with horse hair and its super soft, and feels higher quality than anything I've bought at a regular pet shop.

I just discovered stuff for horses is usually cheaper and higher quality than stuff aimed at dog owners.

I bought a small Leistner horse brush for my lab, made with horse hair and its super soft, and feels higher quality than anything I've bought at a regular pet shop.

Great to know. Because I can't afford a Mason Pearson brush for me, either -- so I'm pretty sure the dog isn't getting the first one.

I use a rake and a slicker brush (mid price range) and Ernie is meh about the whole process unless copious bits of food are involved. I might check out horse stuff for Xmas. Any good online sites/brands? I'm over spending a fortune on dog shampoo as well - considering I wash my hair with the cheap litre bottles from Chemist Warehouse. :D

Nope brushing is not a negotiable deal here , i have coated show dogs all started early at 8 weeks & done weekly & love being groomed,love the human touch time.

Most of a our grooming clients are nightmares due to not being trained or brushed the wrong way or in the wrong place .

Mason pearson are an expensive over kill & won't do the job pet owners need,i don't even use them on the setters as there are better more affordable brushes around .

Slickers SHOULDN"T hurt if you buy the right brand ,plenty of good priced slickers out there ,you should always test it on your arm first or at the very least feel it .

The problem is people make brushing such a chore ,all about bribing them with treats you don't need to .

All dogs in my opinion should be brushed on a table ,nuetral ground that is for grooming & checking for lumps/bumps & any grass seeds,dog goes on table & the simple rules apply ,no if you do this for mummy i will give you a treat or smoother the wall with peanut butter to stand still .

For a goldie a good slicker like doggyman ,an under coat rake for pants & a comb is all you need,use more than once a week & easy peasy

I think he's just being a typical Goldie sook. :laugh:

Honey squirms when she gets brushed standing, but is very happy to lie down for a brush- she'll even flip over for me to do the other side!

I find it easier to check her over for matts this way too (she gets itchies in spring & chews knots into her fur).

If I need to give her a quick once over though, she gets put in a stay stand & just has to suck it up even if it means I have to straddle her! I find her pants & tail are her most sensitive areas- I do suspect it is ticklish uncomfortable.

When she's shedding I use a zoom groom - I had it here from our last short haired dog & was surprised to find it is great for getting excess coat out! Mostly though I use a cheap slicker, which works much better than our old pin brush- gets out matts without pulling. I'm pretty happy with it.

Do you need to trim the pads?

I usually START with clipping excess hair from between the pads and lots of praise for them keeping still. I will encourage them to lie on the grooming table and relax while I comb them out. I have one client that had to be muzzled when I combed out his trousers LOL - it took I think about a dozen sessions (6 weeks apart) before he learned to curb himself from "defending" his rear end and now he is quite relaxed about it!

A good slicker brush will get that loose undercoat out better than most things BUT do try it yourself first - if it scrapes on your arm because it is a cheap one, then keep it well away from the skin. Better to have a good quality slicker brush which will catch the dead hair without pulling or scraping. A bristle brush takes a LOT more effort to remove the dead coat, but is handy if you're trying to bulk up your biceps! laugh.gif

The rubber horse curry combs are excellent for double coated smooths like Pugs and Labs. I find that horse shampoo is also excellent on the dogs ( and is cheaper than the equivalent show finishes marketed for dogs!)

I have several MP brushes in the kit - most are over 30 years old and still going strong LOL - but I mostly use them on full coated breeds or as finishing brushes. I don't have one for myself - I am another with cheapie supermarket brushes on my dressing table LOL!

I usually START with clipping excess hair from between the pads and lots of praise for them keeping still. I will encourage them to lie on the grooming table and relax while I comb them out. I have one client that had to be muzzled when I combed out his trousers LOL - it took I think about a dozen sessions (6 weeks apart) before he learned to curb himself from "defending" his rear end and now he is quite relaxed about it!

My GSD gets so offended when I brush her trousers, haha. I should have started when she was tiny, I underestimated how fluffy a butt she would get and she's only 10 months!