Professional Dog Trainer

BarbedWire

On these forums posters often recommend that people seek the advice of a professional trainer. I am just wondering if professional dog trainers have to have some sort of registration or can anyone set themselves up as a trainer?

Or to put it differently if you were looking for a dog trainer what would you be looking for?

What I would look for? Here are some things- :)

Experience

EXPERIENCE

Open mind

someone who has done lots of extra Study

personal recommendation

some one who will NOT 'guarantee' a fix

Someone NOT part of a franchise

Someone who does not have a very flashy website .....

EXPERIENCE.

Aaaah the "professional" comes in so many shapes. There's some qualifications in specific methods that are quite limited in their approach.

From my experience a professional is someone who has knowledge of the many different approaches, has lots of experience with many different problems. This experience obviously takes time to acquire so I'd like a person who is honest enough to say when they can't deal with your dog rather than portray themselves as someone who has all the answers ans therefor recommends any animals with big issues should be PTS. Someone who is prepared to refer you on to a more experienced mentor if they can't deal with your dog.

If they're giving out a solution without extensively interviewing the owner and o serving the dog then steer clear.

I have no idea but I think the best thing to do is to ask them what qualifications they have. Its ok & makes sense to ask that question.

Whether having done courses & having certificates makes them any good is another matter altogether.

I would think that you could get 3 people who have all done the same course & apply it & teach/train in different ways.

Word of mouth & personal recommendations are a good start but the bottom line is it is your dog & if you are uncomfortable with any suggestions or not happy with the way the dog is handled, treated or reacting it is up to you to stop the lesson.

What I would look for? Here are some things- :)

Experience

EXPERIENCE

Open mind

someone who has done lots of extra Study

personal recommendation

some one who will NOT 'guarantee' a fix

Someone NOT part of a franchise

Someone who does not have a very flashy website .....

EXPERIENCE.

I agree with this especially the open minded & that all methods can be a valuable tool & talks the truth ,non of the sugar coated polite nice stuff ,i like someone who talks the facts & reality .

As for qualifications anyone can go do the course in Melbourne & get a piece of paper that says "qualified" have meet such people & i would run a mile from some of these people ,seeing there own dogs is enough to question this ,some people can have the brains to get a piece of paper but be truly clueless in hands on stuff ,some with the piece of paper have never trained there own dogs to anything significant .

For me it was experience with my dogs issues and qualifications from reputable organisations.

BUT the most important to me is their ability to be a flexible trainer because I know my girls learn differently. I have spoken to ALOT of trainers in the last couple of days and I strongly suggest avoiding those with the 'my way or the highway' attitude.