Old Dog Aide

Kirislin

I'm not sure if anyone else uses these but thought it worth mentioning. Sometimes it's hard for old arthriticky dogs to get onto your bed. If you still dont mind them there and want to help them get up has anyone considered a mounting block, used for people who need help getting on their horse. It's a set of steps that fit perfectly against the bed. My friend bought some on the weekend from a country feed merchant for $110 but when I priced them at Horseland they were $160!!! I then looked them up on ebay and you can get them out from the US for just under $100 and at that price they might be worth it. mounting block on ebay

I use these, they cope with up to 30kg so even my Vizslas and GSP can (just) use them and are a fraction of the price :)

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/plush-pet-steps-30-5cm-35-5cm-46cm/

Even better!! :thumbsup: My friend was looking for something suitable for ages and was wrapt when he found the horse steps. I should've asked here for him in the first place. :laugh:

My late husband made a set of wide wooden steps covered with carpet for our elderly whippet, many years ago, they are very sturdy and the dogs felt very secure. Those DD ones are only a plastic frame underneath the covering, they'd be ok for little dogs, but I wouldn't trust them for a bigger elderly dog.

1417127150[/url]' post='6601637']

I use these, they cope with up to 30kg so even my Vizslas and GSP can (just) use them and are a fraction of the price :)

http://www.dealsdire...cm-35-5cm-46cm/

I got these ones and found them to be quite flimsy. My dog refused to use them and they ended up in the bin. laugh.gif

These are the ones my little dog also refused to use.

There is an old thread here started by me about doggy steps. My problem was that none of the ones I'd seen would reach the top of the bed. I eventually found the perfect fit at Innovations and up until now they have been great.

Their drawback, though, is that the step itself is very narrow and as the dogs are getting older and shakier, they don't feel as secure as they used to.

I am investigating having a set made to suit them, but it also has to collapse so I can push it under the bed during the day. I can visualise it, but don't have the tools or know how to make it. I actually think a ramp would be better as they are getting too old to jump off the bed and would never go down the steps.

On the other hand, I could buy a new, very low bed :) :)

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

If you want custom made talk to Funky Cat Furniture:

http://www.funkycat.com.au/products/cat-and-dog-steps/

I have wanted to get my kitties a Funky Hollow for aaaaages and am just about ready to indulge them for Christmas...

http://www.funkycat.com.au/product/medium-hollow-135cm-tall/

Not cheap but quality that will last 10 years and beyond.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I bought a kids plastic slide from a garage sale, OH took off the framework so there was just the slide itself, covered the top with carpet and screwed on little 1/2" (high) x12"(long) pieces of wood so they can use them for hand paw-holds.

It work really well and can be slipped under the bed during the day.

Here is a photo with it leaning up the wall with the mat jammed against it to stop it crashing down

post-26505-0-26909800-1417137237_thumb.jpg

eta--> the top has a flat platform that will locate on the bed, it doesn't slip off

Edited by Boronia