Amazing Heelwork Videos

FalconRange

I love heel work too! Even my club trainers say it's the boring part but I really love training it.

I stewarded at a trial this year and found some of the heel work, even in the advanced levels quite sad to watch, dogs had zero enthusiasm. It's so great to see both dogs and handlers happy to be working!

Its nice when the Eastern States judges come to WA and comment at presentations on the quality of heelwork in all classes. The standard here has gone up a notch thumbsup1.gifand its now not just one dog in a class that everybody stops to watch, but most dogs in a class can put in some very impressive enthusiastic work.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love heel work too! Even my club trainers say it's the boring part but I really love training it.

I stewarded at a trial this year and found some of the heel work, even in the advanced levels quite sad to watch, dogs had zero enthusiasm. It's so great to see both dogs and handlers happy to be working!

In most states it is sadly still the minority to see 'up' dogs in the ring, but this is changing as more people want to learn how to make their dogs work with focus and drive.

Part of what I love about training heel work is taking something many people see as boring (and many dogs too) and making it look like a bit of magic is happening!

Edited by huski

I'm looking to find some awesome heelwork examples on youtube etc. I know I've seen heaps of cool ones in the past, but of course, the minute I start looking for something is the minute I can't actually find what I'm looking for!

Has anyone got any particular favourites they'd like to share? Or even just cool personal brags? All videos welcome! :D

Denise Fenzi has some great ones, and she's just done a series of specific elements of heelwork (Turns, halts, etc) on her blog;

http://denisefenzi.com/

Kamal Fernandez also has some great videos on youtube (he's brilliant to train with too)

Zig and I are doing her Precision Heeling course right now - so much fun!

Thanks for that Tassie - I didn't know Mary Ray did regular obedience as well as the music stuff. That's impressive too. And looks more interesting than the advanced obedience done here.

She's always done 'normal' obedience with her dogs - Levi was Top Obedience Dog in UK in 2013, and in March he was part of the British team in the International Obedience comp - placed 1st in that. And this year I think it's 13 'tickets' he's won - winning 1st place in a designated comp gives the team a place in the following year's Crufts Obedience comp. I think it's 3 of hers that Mary has qualified for next year - at least 2.

I'm looking to find some awesome heelwork examples on youtube etc. I know I've seen heaps of cool ones in the past, but of course, the minute I start looking for something is the minute I can't actually find what I'm looking for!

Has anyone got any particular favourites they'd like to share? Or even just cool personal brags? All videos welcome! :D

Denise Fenzi has some great ones, and she's just done a series of specific elements of heelwork (Turns, halts, etc) on her blog;

http://denisefenzi.com/

Kamal Fernandez also has some great videos on youtube (he's brilliant to train with too)

Zig and I are doing her Precision Heeling course right now - so much fun!

:thumbsup: Love the Fenzi Academy courses. Have done Denise's and currently doing Kamal Fernandez's FCI Heeling. Went to a seminar with Kamal a couple of years ago - still working through what I've learnt in all these.

So nice to have learnt to love heeling (thanks to some great instructors and great examples - especially Ptolomy and Bedazzledx2 :D .)

Mary Ray is exceptionally good, however over here she would be pinged for a crowding dog - yes I know this is what is acceptable over there and any gap is penalised - In the slow pace the dogs legs were actually at an angle to the floor as he was pressing against her legs so hard.

I do love the precision and animation all her dogs have, she is one talented lady and someone I aspire to

I totally agree, great to see happy working dogs but the crowding is an issue.

and I'll get shot for this but I think the swinging arms are wrong that some people are doing. Its another signal to your dog when heeling, swinging arms move, still arms stop!

Mary Ray is exceptionally good, however over here she would be pinged for a crowding dog - yes I know this is what is acceptable over there and any gap is penalised - In the slow pace the dogs legs were actually at an angle to the floor as he was pressing against her legs so hard.

I do love the precision and animation all her dogs have, she is one talented lady and someone I aspire to

and I'll get shot for this but I think the swinging arms are wrong that some people are doing. Its another signal to your dog when heeling, swinging arms move, still arms stop!

IMO it looks more natural than a hand on your hip (for me personally - it is more natural for me as that is how I would walk down the street. I wouldn't walk down the street with my hand on my hip).

If you have a dog that has strong handler focus, they won't see what your arms are doing as they are looking at your face, so it wouldn't work as a double signal.

The crowding there isn't an issue as that is what is expected and required. It is rare to see a dog trialling with no coat for that reason. Here yes it would be an issue. She has trained them to do that as its expected, I can't do the swinging arm thing either. Since I can remember I have been taught arms still, so to do arms now and try and to signals would end up very messy.

I have never seen anyone in ANKC Heeling swinging there arms so I am not sure how it would be recieved.

Edited by OSoSwift

Many of our clients swing their arms to some extent and I have never come across or heard of a judge penalizing it.

I have my arms at my side but they don't really swing.

I also don't use hand signals so I try to keep my arms in the most natural position (for me).

The rules I believe say your hands/arms should be in a natural position? Obviously what is natural is different to different people.

I don't think swinging arms would be any more an extra signal than footwork.

This is the only reference I could find. I do use hand signals so in that case I guess I only want my hands to move when giving a signal as I like them as small as possible.

A voice command and a signal may be given, but must be used simultaneously. A signal should be a

single gesture of the arms and/or hands only, which must be promptly returned to their pre command

position. Signals must be inaudible and must not touch the dog.

Any unusual noise, prolonged or extended signal or movement of the Handler may be considered by the

Judge as a 'signal', or extra command.

Edited by OSoSwift

In the CD part of the 2011 ANKC obedience rules it says

The dog must work off lead. Any unusual or additional act, signal or command, which in the opinion of the Judge gives the dog assistance, must be penalised.

There is some stuff at the front that says a command is a verbal and or signal but where both are used they must be given at the same time.

It's a bit vague about "additional command" - I guess it's left to the judge's opinion on what your signal is and whether you've given a second signal to get the dog to perform.

There's some more stuff in the CD (novice) rules about dog heeling as close as practical, but some stuff at the front - describing the "finish" that the dog must not "crowd the handler" but assumes you know what that means.

There's another bit that bothers me as a marshalling steward, about calling the team... They've got three chances to respond - but in one place it says you call their number, and somewhere else it says you call the handler - and yet most catalogues (call lists) do not have the handler name on - which causes much confusion. It would be so much easier if it was written on the catalogue to call number + handler preferred name and dog preferred name. Ie nick names. This is especially true for handlers and dogs that are in more than one ring at the same time. Hmm, maybe we need another thread.

Thanks guys! Some of these are awesome, and definitely not what I was finding when I went looking!

I love how sharp some of these dogs are. So much focus. We're not there, but we're working on it!

That is what I love about heel work, it's so many intricate steps broken down but when it's put together it looks seamless!