Nexguard

aliwake

A friend of mine was at the vet last night, and they mentioned a brand new tick preventative that will be available in the next couple of weeks. They couldn't remember the name, but with a bit of googling I've come up with 'Nexguard', which is already available in the US.

http://www.nexgardfordogs.com/Pages/index.aspx

Apparently it is a chewable monthly treatment. My friend said the vet was very impressed by the rep's presentation. Will be interesting to see what people think once it rolls out!

Edited by aliwake

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will be interesting to see if it is effective against paralysis ticks.

They're marketing is as being effective against paralysis ticks. Hopefully we'll be able to see some tests results or a paper or something to compare with other methods.

Home » Dogs » Fleas & Ticks » NexGard

NexGard

NexGard

Description:

NEXGARDâ„¢ (afoxolaner) is available in four sizes of beef-flavoured, soft chewables for oral administration to dogs and puppies according to their weight. Each chewable is formulated to provide a minimum afoxolaner dosage of 2.5 mg/kg.

Indications:

NEXGARD kills adult fleas and is indicated for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations (Ctenocephalides felis), and the treatment and control of paralysis tick infestations in dogs and puppies 8 weeks of age and older, weighing 2kg of body weight or greater, for one month.

Dosage and Administration:

NEXGARD is given orally once a month, at the minimum dosage of 2.5 mg/kg.

Dosing Schedule:

NEXGARD can be administered with or without food. Care should be taken that the dog consumes the complete dose, and treated animals should be observed for a few minutes to ensure that part of the dose is not lost or refused. If it is suspected that any of the dose has been lost or if vomiting occurs within two hours of administration, re-dose with another full dose. If a dose is missed, administer NEXGARD and resume a monthly dosing schedule.

Efficacy:

Paralysis tick, a unique Australian parasite.

Ixodes holocyclus is present along the east coast of Australia and poses a serious health risk to dogs. Each year thousands of dogs present to veterinary hospitals with signs of tick paralysis caused by this parasite.

Two Australian studies were performed to assess the efficacy of NEXGARD® against this potentially deadly parasite. In each study, 50 ticks were infested onto each dog on day – 1, 7, 14, 21, 28 and 35. NEXGARD® was administered on day 0.

Tick counts were conducted on Days 1,2,3 (24, 48 and 72 hours after administration of NEXGARD®) and thereafter at 24, 48 and 72 hours post each subsequent tick infestation. In both studies, there was significant mortality of ticks within 24 hours at all time-points and >98.5% of ticks were killed within 48 hours after NEXGARD® administration and weekly infestations.

Being an oral treatment it goes into and circulates through the bloodstream. Ticks need to bite and attach to get a dose and are then paralysed and stay attached.

It was trialled in Australia on just 47 dogs before registration.

It has no repellency.

Being systemic, it is unknown how certain dogs will metabolise and shed wastage through the organs and eliminate hence what will the efficacy be at the tail end of a monthly dose.

Why would you treat internally for external parasites?

An analogy would be like humans using an oral for mozzies? As opposed to aeroguard?..

Will watch with interest.

Edited by nowstarin

Fantastic!! :thumbsup:

I used to use Proban before it stopped being available, living in a non-tick area, it was perfect for our visits to tick areas. The added benefit being it was ingested so I didn't have to worry about my dog swimming (I never feel entirely convinced topicals don't wash off).

I use Advocate for fleas & Advantix for our holidays. I hate Advantix, it's greasy in the fur and I have to apply every two weeks if I'm near ticks.

If this product is as good for fleas, and easy to come by, I'll be using it instead of the Advocate!

And if I could buy an ingestible tablet for warding off mozzies, I would!!

Edited by dee lee

Can't wait for it here! I may not use it myself, sticking to Advantix but I have many customers who want this (and have been asking for it since Proban left the shelves).

Nowstarin, reasons people want an oral treatment over spot on - (this is feedback from customers which is important to take note of, rather than ignore)

-they don't like how the spot on can leave the dog greasy for a few days after

-some dogs have reactions to certain brands, and want to try something new (or they just insist that a product doesn't work for them)

-in my area where dogs can be swimming every day, multiple times a day, an oral treatment is superior in that it can NEVER be washed off. Doesn't matter how waterproof a spot on is, it can be accidentally washed off if bathed too soon after application or by using detergent.

-Comfortis, out of the main range that we sell has the highest success rate killing fleas. Now I don't use it, but is it any surprise that people want a similar product that will kill ticks as well?

Why would you treat internally for external parasites?

Don't know, but Comfortis works the best for fleas on my dogs (lasts a month). I have to use Advantix fortnightly for fleas otherwise.

& Proban was the best for preventing ticks & that was internal.

Seems a bit conspiracy theory focused... Big Pharma etc & it is American, so the suggestion from one poster that ticks can't poison your dog so don't risk poisoning them with the product is not relevant to the paralysis ticks here.

I recall similar hysteria when Comfortis came out. There are always claims of toxic reactions to these new products. Of course there will be some dogs who are sensitive to the ingredients. That doesn't mean all dogs will be.

I once had a vet rant at me when I tried to buy Proban- claiming it had been stopped from production due to poisoning dogs. Which was not true- the ingredients are no longer available. But then that was likely just a Big Pharma lie I'd been told...

I'm thinking this product is a great alternative for the reasons that have been listed before. I'll be looking for it.

Edited by dee lee

Seems a bit conspiracy theory focused... Big Pharma etc & it is American, so the suggestion from one poster that ticks can't poison your dog so don't risk poisoning them with the product is not relevant to the paralysis ticks here.

I recall similar hysteria when Comfortis came out. There are always claims of toxic reactions to these new products. Of course there will be some dogs who are sensitive to the ingredients. That doesn't mean all dogs will be.

I once had a vet rant at me when I tried to buy Proban- claiming it had been stopped from production due to poisoning dogs. Which was not true- the ingredients are no longer available. But then that was likely just a Big Pharma lie I'd been told...

I'm thinking this product is a great alternative for the reasons that have been listed before. I'll be looking for it.

I'll be watching the product with interest anyway :)

And yes, there are always some dogs which will react to certain chemicals. Advantix caused a bad reaction in one of my dogs, so I won't use it.

New veterinary products can only go on the market after a regulatory body's looked into them & approved. That's the Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority. They have a website & produce gazettes with up-to-date info.

The APVMA's gazette for 7 October, 2014, has a section on the Nexgard products, saying that they 'have before it applications from Merial Ptd Ltd for the approval of the new active constituent 'afoxolaner & the registration of 4 new products'... they're the Nexgard Chewables in 4 dose sizes.

At the end of that section, the APVMA says they are 'satisfied data from trials supporting the efficacy of the products adequately demonstrates that if used according to the product label directions, the products are effective for their proposed uses.'

But the law requires that they add a time frame where submissions objecting to their being approved, can be sent. They give a cut-off date of 28 October.

You can read the full section yourself, if you want. On pp 59-61 of the gazette.

http://apvma.gov.au/node/12246

Edited by mita

I'd use it. I'm always worried that a topical will wash off or not distribute evenly enough to be effective.

I currently use Advantix AND a Scalibor collar. The beagle next door in leafy suburbia who never seems to go anywhere just had TWO ticks pulled off him.

While I hate fleas, I really worry more about ticks.