Exploratory Surgery Price Opinions Please!

miss2

Hey all, my pup has to go in for exploratory surgery tomorrow on an abscess. She had a huge abscess come up 2 weeks ago and we had to go to the emergency yet. They popped it and put her on antibiotics.

The last 2 days I have noticed it's come back, no where near as big as it was but def there. She's still happy and it's not bothering her.

I took her to the vet this afternoon to get it checked, I couldn't get in with my normal vet so went to another.

They have said she needs exploratory surgery on it tomorrow as they suspect a grass seed ( no entry point or wound anywhere)

Anyway they have quoted me $450 and I just wanted to ask others opinions on if this is a fair price?

Never having to have surgery like this before I'm un sure.

Your opinions greatly appreciated thank you

Edited by miss2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's under her ear, almost jaw line?

They said they want to slice it open and check inside for a seed. I'm wondering if they should have offered another course of antibiotics instead?

She's a jrt pup, 18 weeks, weighs 2.8 kilos

Super stressed :(

The problem with grass seeds is that they can travel a considerable distance from the point of entry which can make locating them very tricky..

If it a grass seed causing the abscess better to get it found and removed (if possible) otherwise you are going to have ongoing trouble until it is found.

No idea on prices in the city - I live in a rural area and prices for vet work tend to be a bit cheaper.

Poor wee puppy AND Momma. :cry:

Grass seeds are dangerous.

They migrate within the body.

Her body is reacting to what is a foreign body.

The Vet needs to determine the specifics sooner rather than later and deal with its dispersing/removal.

That quote is not over the top, imo.

Paws crossed for a good outcome and speedy recovery.

HUGS

:)

Thanks for your replies, . I'm just stressing about lots of things at the moment and having her sick isn't helping coz now I'm worried about her as well coz she's so little :(

Wouldn't a grass seed have a an entry point and any idea why it would look ok for a week and now swell up again?

Good to know about the price, thank you.

I will do what ever has to be done for her - just a bit confused :/

Thanks vizslamomma, in Need of them at the moment :(

Yep, don't mess around if they think it is a grass seed.

On the price issue - I look at it this way: I like my vet, he is great with my dog, usually solves any issues quickly.

He isn't the cheapest vet in town but he is worth every cent I pay him and I trust him implicitly with my dog and any fosters that come in. So I pay what he charges and I don't question him.

Emergency vets often charge higher rates due to needing more staffing levels among other things. Prices for the same thing can vary enormously so I would be phoning your own vet, or another one, & explaining the situation & ask what they will charge for this, without mentioning the other price. it needs seeing to but I doubt another day will make much differenc3e if she is not in pain.

Wouldn't a grass seed have a an entry point and any idea why it would look ok for a week and now swell up again?

There should be an entry point of the seed. But if not observed, it moves thro' the body and becomes evident as an abscess

It's complex on what bodies do when foreign bodies enter them. Happens with humans and happens with our furkids.

Here's a couple of (recent) threads with a whole heap of info.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/260607-grass-seed-removal/page__p__6604256__hl__%2Bgrass+%2Bseeds__fromsearch__1#entry6604256

AND

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/260110-seed-in-paw/page__p__6587805__hl__%2Bgrass+%2Bseeds__fromsearch__1#entry6587805

A few years ago, my GSD had an abscess on the neck. Exploratory surgery found a splinter of wood from a chewed stick, which was lodged dangerously close to a major artery.

My mother's BC had an abscess halfway up her leg, from a grass-seed that entered between her toes and travelled up the leg.

I can't remember the exact costs of these surgeries, but they were in the order of several hundred dollars each. When you consider the labour costs for a vet and an assistant, the cost of anaesthetics and other materials, plus ancillary costs, this does not seem unreasonable. They should give you an itemised account, if requested.

My Border Collie girl had a similar thing last winter, on the front of her neck. First trip they drained it and gave us antibiotics ($80), but it came back up again (bigger!), and she had to have an op to look for what was causing it($400). The vet rang me straight afterwards very happy because a big grass seed popped right out when they opened it up. She said sometimes by the time you do the surgery it has disappeared somewhere else :eek:

Thanks everyone. I'm dropping her off this morning.

The vets actually offered to de sex her for the same price while she's under. God I hope they find something, poor little girl is so tiny and just before Christmas :(

They fact that they travel sounds so weird .

She's in such a happy mood today, running around doing zoomies and spins.... At least it's not making her sick

A lot of grass seed abscess around the face and neck are caused by the grass seed entering through the mouth. Often the dogs chew seeds out of their feet and end up with them lodged in their mouths, or chew on toys or food that have seeds on them, where they enter through from the inside of the mouth. If that is the case it may make finding an entry point a bit harder.

Good luck.

Edited by GrufLife

Omg what a day!!! So Stella is home with a drain in her face and desexing stitches

The vets couldn't find anything so are hopefull that what ever it was has come out.

She's still a bit groggy and must still be in pain because she's whimpering and shivering which is just heart breaking to watch.

Worst of all, she won't come near me :(

Every time I take a step near her she puts her tail between her legs and runs away!! It's just like when we first got her all over again :(

Is she doing this because I'm the one that took her to the vet??

Omg what a day!!! So Stella is home with a drain in her face and desexing stitches

The vets couldn't find anything so are hopefull that what ever it was has come out.

She's still a bit groggy and must still be in pain because she's whimpering and shivering which is just heart breaking to watch.

Worst of all, she won't come near me :(

Every time I take a step near her she puts her tail between her legs and runs away!! It's just like when we first got her all over again :(

Is she doing this because I'm the one that took her to the vet??

Been thinking of you and Stella, miss2.

Just checking have the Vets sent Stella home with pain relief? Did you get a fact sheet with info about what to do?

Is Stella used to a crate? I would have her in the crate for two reasons.

She will be able to be kept quiet in it AND will not have the chance to run away from you.

I've had this happen with my dogs after Vet visits. I was regarded as evil Momma.

We got thro' that .

HUGS xxx

Poor little girl. But don't overthink it. She's tired, disoriented a bit and in pain - did they give her any pain relief - if not, you should probably get some for her. (Often they'll give a 24 hour injection after surgery.)

Somewhere quiet and warm and comfy for her to sleep it off - access to water, and keep an eye on her to see if/when she needs to go out to toilet. Otherwise, I'd leave her alone. Different dogs respond differently to surgery, so just be calm and do the same sort of routine you would normally do - don't try to fuss her if she doesn't want it.