Exploratory Surgery Price Opinions Please!

miss2

Thanks guys. The vet have her the injection and send me home with pain relief and antibiotics to start tomorrow.

She's not crate trained but the laundry is her ' safe place' she often takes her self In there to lie down when she's stressed so I might set up her bed and stuff in there

I had her in the lounge room with us but every time I move she freaks out.

So different to my boy, after his desexing he just kept climbing on me and wanting to get close

Thanks lovelys, it's been a longggg day xx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks staffyluv - I'll put her in our bedroom then, I'm happy for her to stay in the lounge with us it's just that she doesn't want to be near me.

Hubby's just taken her out for toilet so will set up out room or the spare for her

Whimpering and shivering can be anxiety/coming down off the anaesthetic .... their temperature regulator can be upset somewhat....

if she sees the laundry as safe - and being the worrywort she is - I would DEFINITELY use the laundry . She doesn't need the stress of being somewhere different - not after all the trouble you had with her from the beginning ,,,,

make sure she can be either snuggledin lots of bedding , or lie on the floor to get cool - give her water ..and leave her quiet and undisturbed . As she hasn't eaten or drunk much, toileting may not even happen ....

*BREATHE* :)

Thanks staffyluv - I'll put her in our bedroom then, I'm happy for her to stay in the lounge with us it's just that she doesn't want to be near me.

Hubby's just taken her out for toilet so will set up out room or the spare for her

She will be fine - it is a lot for a little one to go through but remember that hundreds of dogs do it every day and they are all OK.

Maybe try to offer her some of her fave foods or treats (if she is hungry). She will come around.

Isn't it just such a worry. We love them so and want only for them to be happy and healthy.

Stella has been through a lot: facial surgery and desexing. She is just a baby. I tend to agree with Persephone regarding not changing her sleeping arrangements, but if you would be more relaxed hacing her in the bedroom, set both places up for her and let her chose.

Look forward to tomorrow's report.

:sleep::sleep: well.

remember that hundreds of dogs do it every day and they are all OK.

They do :) I guess I am being cautious , after the very rocky start they had with this little girl ..and how anxious she was ...

It was meant as more of a reassuring comment than me disregarding the owners anxiousness :)

remember that hundreds of dogs do it every day and they are all OK.

They do :) I guess I am being cautious , after the very rocky start they had with this little girl ..and how anxious she was ...

It was meant as more of a reassuring comment than me disregarding the owners anxiousness :)

Ok ...

Hi everyone.

After a horrible Friday night ( I was in tears thinking we were about to take 5 steps backwards ) I’m pleased to say Stella woke up on Saturday morning happy as can be, she didn’t run away from me and in fact sooked a lot and wanted attention!!

She was a bit too hyper and attempting to do zoomies so had to be confined for a while as she was being a nutbag.

Saturday night the pain obviously started kicking in again but rather than running from me she seeked me out for comfort which was fantastic.

I have made a nurse appointment for her this afternoon because I am struggling to clean the drain, I’m doing ok with all the leakage and puss but the dried blood is really hurting her and I can’t get rid of it so I’m hoping the vet nurse can help me clean her up a bit more.

Shes being such a good girl and hasn’t touched her tummy stitches once, it’s just the face that bothers her.

Thanks everyone for your support, I am the biggest worrying mum in the world Lol

post-41414-0-77707300-1418596377_thumb.jpg

post-41414-0-83165200-1418596385_thumb.jpg

post-41414-0-19074900-1418596393_thumb.jpg

post-41414-0-75400700-1418596406_thumb.jpg

Oh, not sure if I mentioned this but they didn’t find anything in the abscess  they did find another smaller abscess above the large one but no foreign body so we just have to hope that whatever it was has now left.

post-41414-0-69257000-1418596648_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup: So very pleased to read this. You're obviously doing a great job, and your dear little girlie (who is unbelievably cute, by the way, :) ) should do really well.

Good idea to take her for the nurse appointment - but bear in mind she could be a bit stressy, so try to keep happy for her - high value - like roast chicken or something, as long as she's allowed to have treats. Good luck.

thanks so much everyone. this poor little girl as been through so much in her short 18 weeks of life, i just want to make it all better for her!! :cry: ill keep up the super happy! she sure is allowed treats, shes rather spoilt lol

Stitches should be out in time for Christmas so she can come swimming with us down the coast and at skiing which is great news.

At least with having her de-sexed at the same time I don’t have to worry about putting her under again for as long as I can help it!

She has grown into a happy little girl and I’m hoping she will get back to that asap :)

post-41414-0-93371800-1418607095_thumb.jpg

post-41414-0-15576200-1418607102_thumb.jpg

It's under her ear, almost jaw line?

They said they want to slice it open and check inside for a seed. I'm wondering if they should have offered another course of antibiotics instead?

She's a jrt pup, 18 weeks, weighs 2.8 kilos

Super stressed :(

I know I came in late but.

That price sounds reasonable and I would go the exploratory option, it may show up nothing but I would do it.

Our young working dog had an ascess come up under his chin. When it was checked there was a track from next to a molar and it was decided it was most likely a grass seed. He was sedated, abscessed lanced and flushed and antibiotics given. There was a small lump after that and vet couldn't decide if it was scar tissue or a residual seed. It started swelling again, he was given ab's. It came up again and a different vet decided he wanted it to swell more and then lance hoping to flush out the seed with the gack.

Took the poor dog in and a different vet again said no they wanted it as small as possible and put him on ab's. The lump did not go down so I had to start trying to drain it daily. I was getting puss out but the lump wasn't getting any smaller. He was agaian on Ab's

I took him back in and vet decided they would open it up and drain and flush and hope to get the seed out. When it was opened up it was quite encapsulated with a thickened wall, so the vet opted to remove the whole lump - larger than a golf ball. This resulted in around 12 sutures, drains and more ab's. The drain was removed as instructed and then we had issues with a seroma building up. Back to the vet again and it was opened and left draining and I had to flush it three times a day. That lasted for nearly 4 weeks.

Finally it healed up around 5 months from the initial issue. From now on it is GA, open it up and hunt for that seed thanks! Not to mention it cost vastly more than the quote you were given!