Rottweiler Breeder Recommendations

Kamui

So after 2 years of juggling the idea of raising a Rottweiler, as well as educating myself about the breed, I'm finally ready now.

In the past I've adopted dogs that had aggression issues, which I rectified and it's definitely a good feeling having a previously aggressive dog warm up to you, but now instead of adopting, I think its time I raise a puppy :D

So can anyone recommend me a Rottweiler breeder in Victoria or one that's willing to transport interstate, preferably a breeder without a contract that requires me to return the female pup to the breeder for breeding

Edited by Kamui

Welcome to the forum

Why are you wanting a breeder without contracts?? I would wager that any good breeder of Rotties will most certainly have contracts. I would personally steer clear from any breeder that didn't have a contract and an application/interview process :)

Welcome to the forum

Why are you wanting a breeder without contracts?? I would wager that any good breeder of Rotties will most certainly have contracts. I would personally steer clear from any breeder that didn't have a contract and an application/interview process :)

Thanks,

I should elaborate, I mean contracts such as breeding contracts, I don't mind contracts like bi-annual checkups or just regular updates.

Breeding contracts make me feel more or less like the dog isn't truly mine, since I have to bring the dog back to breeder for them to use as breeding stock.

Contracts solely for the well being of the pup, I'm completely fine with

Welcome to the forum

Thanks,

I should elaborate, I mean contracts such as breeding contracts, I don't mind contracts like bi-annual checkups or just regular updates.

Breeding contracts make me feel more or less like the dog isn't truly mine, since I have to bring the dog back to breeder for them to use as breeding stock.

Contracts solely for the well being of the pup, I'm completely fine with

I think any responsible breeder will want to be assured that you won't breed from their lines, hence the contract. This doesn't affect ownership it is to stop backyard breeders and puppy mills. :)

I think any responsible breeder will want to be assured that you won't breed from their lines, hence the contract. This doesn't affect ownership it is to stop backyard breeders and puppy mills. :)

I think that the OP means typical Breeders Terms/Contracts, where there is a clause allowing for the possibility of the dog/bitch being returned to the breeder for the purpose of breeding. Breeders contracts can sometimes also specify a whole range of things about raising/showing/competing etc with the pup ...

That might indeed be the case. I also wouldn't want a co-ownership agreement or breeding if I had a bitch. I would consider stud with the breeder of my dog had this been wanted by them. But never to stud my dog without express desire from our breeder. :)

I think that the OP means typical Breeders Terms/Contracts, where there is a clause allowing for the possibility of the dog/bitch being returned to the breeder for the purpose of breeding. Breeders contracts can sometimes also specify a whole range of things about raising/showing/competing etc with the pup ...

Yes brightstar explains it perfectly, since I'm after a female pup as well, which is why I'd rather not purchase a pup with those kind of conditions placed in the contract, since it is more or less co-ownership.

Most good Rottweiler breeders will sell only on contract. You can certainly buy a female pup without it being on breeders terms but the breeder will probably have a clause in the contract that you agree not to breed the puppy. This is because the breeder wants to keep her lines pure and doesn't want people back yard breeding with their bitches that should not be bred.

I would not want to buy a dog from a breeder unless that breeder sold on contract.

Are you against buying on contract because you have plans to breed the puppy you buy?

Most good Rottweiler breeders will sell only on contract. You can certainly buy a female pup without it being on breeders terms but the breeder will probably have a clause in the contract that you agree not to breed the puppy. This is because the breeder wants to keep her lines pure and doesn't want people back yard breeding with their bitches that should not be bred.

I would not want to buy a dog from a breeder unless that breeder sold on contract.

Are you against buying on contract because you have plans to breed the puppy you buy?

I've updated the OP post to clarify, I'm not against contracts, I'm just not fond of a certain condition where the breeder can request the dog be returned for breeding. So if a contract didn't have that condition, I would be fine with it.

I also have no plans to breed.

My dog went through puppies and obedience classes with a Vonelka Rottie

The most gorgeous friendly bomb proof rottie I've ever met. If I ever got one - I'd want one just like that.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=VONELKA

But she's in SA. I'd rate as worth the trip or finding out if she's planning a visit to Vic with any of her dogs.

Kamui, the Rottweiler Club of Victoria is holding a Rottweiler Specialty Champ show on Feb 27th - March 1st 2015, at KCC Park.

There will be many reputable breeders there - locals and interstate. You could come down and have a look at dogs/puppies and have a chat to some breeders.

There is likely to be approx. 140 Rottweilers entered so there will be plenty to see.

I agree Rakaaz is a kennel I would also suggest, but there are also other good breeders.

I wish you all the very best and are more than happy to chat all things Rottweiler if you wish to contact me via PM

Good referrals are noted here.

Re contracts.

There are a couple of "prominent " breeders in Vic that seek all buyers to sign breeding contracts and quite frankly it is a rort.

Serious and truly ethical breeders will not request a contract that requires you to return a dog or more importantly a bitch back to them for the breeder to have litters from. This type of contract is enabling these breeders to use your home to raise train and love your dog but gives the breeder the right to puppy farm

Many a legal battle have been fought over these types of contracts.

There are many reputable rottweiler breeders that will sell you a puppy outright.

Source a decent breeder who cares.

Contracts may contain a breeding restriction that is designed to NOT BREED FROM THE DOG AT ALL. (Limited register) but be warned and don't buy from a breeder that wants to breed from YOUR PURCHASED puppy.

Good luck in your search

Edited by nowstarin

I know Rotts are working dogs, but do they come in a go slow model too? :laugh:

I like my dogs a bit chilled and laid back , my current BT takes it to the extreme and could do with a few " go faster stripes" tho. :laugh:

Good referrals are noted here.

There are many reputable rottweiler breeders that will sell you a puppy outright.

Source a decent breeder who cares.

Contracts may contain a breeding restriction that is designed to NOT BREED FROM THE DOG AT ALL. (Limited register) but be warned and don't buy from a breeder that wants to breed from YOUR PURCHASED puppy.

Good luck in your search

There are excellent breeders in Vic who are happy to sell you a female puppy on the limited register on contract. In the contract you both sign there will be a clause that you do not breed with the puppy. Dogs on the Limited Register are not to be bred so the breeder will not want you to send the dog to them for breeding purposes. That only happens if the pup is on the Main Register and if you agree to 'breeders terms'.

Breeders terms usually mean you will pay less for the dog or else the breeder will give you a pup from the litter. I would not buy a pup on on breeders terms. When I want to buy a pup I want to own it outright and I want to make all decisions in regard to the puppy.

Have you had a look at the breeders listed on the puppy page of the DOL website?

Over the years I've bought two female Rottie pups on contract on the main register that I had no intention of breeding from and I had both girls desexed. All other Rotties I've been lucky enough to own have been rescue dogs. All my rescues except one were bitches and they were lovely, calm dogs. However I took older rescues and their quiet calm demeanor may have been due to their age. That said they were excellent watch dogs and barked furiously if a stranger came to the door until I told them it was ok. They would not let anyone in unless I told them it was ok. One day while I was out walking my two Cavaliers my son came here with a friend. My son was welcomed by the Rotties but they would not allow his friend to enter the house as they didn't know him. As soon as I returned they allowed the guy to enter the house with me.

I so miss having a Rottie in my life. They're a wonderful breed.

Serious and truly ethical breeders will not request a contract that requires you to return a dog or more importantly a bitch back to them for the breeder to have litters from. This type of contract is enabling these breeders to use your home to raise train and love your dog but gives the breeder the right to puppy farm

Yes and no on this one. I know breeders who have had people happy to do this and no harm done. The breeder has also compensated the owners with either another puppy or in other ways. Why not let good dogs go live in good homes instead of mass dogs being in kennel runs?

I suggested you contact the Rottweiler club of Victoria .

If possible attend there speciality show..

Contact as many breeders by phone and talk to them about what you want and also what they want from you the new owner.

Happy 'hunting'