Food Ideas For Fussy Dog

doberkids

Hi there my 12.5 year old dobe recently went off her food after a visit to the vet. All health signs fine. She got some antibiotics for her tooth which were finished a couple of months ago.

She's always had barf although the bones content has gone down due to her teeth.

We ve tried raw steak lamb mince beef mince too mince chicken mince tuna chicken necks tips - all not particularly interesting to her. She still loves her liver treats and roo straps - but a dog can't live on that. She still drinks water, goes for a walk fine - albeit slowly.

Any meal suggestions??

I'm getting worried as she's losing weight now. :(

Guest crazydoglady99

Yes I agree with cat food.. tinned.. or tinned dog food. Buying and feeding is against my 'wishes' but it's one of the few things my little old girl gets excited about.

Try some Ziwipeak - the cans are very tempting and not full of rubbish. They also do air dried jerky style dog food that is easier to eat and full of nutrition. Another thought is Sunday Pets Raw Chow, which is freeze dried meat etc that you add water too. All are really healthy options and generally will encourage eating.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever tried lamb or beef hearts? I only discovered them about a year ago after my old boy had some teeth removed, recommended by the vet. They love them and although they are not bones they are fibrous and good for their teeth. My butchers charge $1each so they are cheap to try

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately following some more tests we have found out that bindi has a tumor on her liver and spleen. In doing some research I found out that in humans issues with the liver or kidneys can put people off their food and it can also do the same with dogs. I'm currently experimenting with a different meal every day with a couple of options and hand feeding to get her to eat something to keep her energy up. It is a slow process but at least we now know what the issue is so we can try our best to feed her and keep her comfortable. :(

Thank you again to everyone who provided suggestions.

Sorry to hear your diagnosis.

We've got a fussy up here. Things he loves:

Eggs - dry fried (really we can often sneak some dry into the warm, runny yolk)

Hard boiled eggs. Cold, mashed up. Shell off. Again. A sure fire bowl clearer. Unfortunately, also often a room clearer if you know what I mean.

Cheddar cheese We buy cheap woolies grated and add it t meals.

chicken and turkey mince - raw or cooked. Prefers it to pork. (beef is also good but too rich for his tum)

ham - occasionally as a treat or if I have forgotten to cook a chicken breast for training

chicken breast for high value training treats.

... that's about it really. We persist with a grain free dry & also Ziwipeak - which he goes on and off (I got lamb last time and its too rich for him to eat every day so not really pushing it... but we usually really only use it for treats / training.)

Unfortunately following some more tests we have found out that bindi has a tumor on her liver and spleen. In doing some research I found out that in humans issues with the liver or kidneys can put people off their food and it can also do the same with dogs. I'm currently experimenting with a different meal every day with a couple of options and hand feeding to get her to eat something to keep her energy up. It is a slow process but at least we now know what the issue is so we can try our best to feed her and keep her comfortable. :(

Thank you again to everyone who provided suggestions.

Doberkids, I am really sorry to read about your feeding difficult and Bindi's diagnosis. I started a thread sometime ago, because I am going through all sorts of feeding problems with my dog Danny. As usual, DOLers have dug deep with their support and suggestions :thumbsup: . The thread is in General and called "What Food Can your dog not resist". There are heaps of suggestions there from bought and homemade to kibble and canned and additives, some of which might be able to help you.

Good luck and heaps of smoochies to Bindi.

Thanks DDD for your note and wishes. :) I was only reading that thread last night,!

We are going slowly and I'm being super patient with her. She's going ok - it's just a challenge as she used to inhale everything in sight.

At least we know the problem so we can make her last days as nice as possible.

I hope you are doing ok with your Danny too. Hugs .

Edited by doberkids

Wellness has some brands of wet dog food/toppers that tempted our old cat who has a very intermittent appetite due to issues with intestinal lymphoma and recurring pancreatitis. It's really hard and frustrating when they just won't eat, or they look interested, and then when you present them with the food they either don't touch it or eat a couple of mouthfuls before walking off.

Cooking up the food has always helped because the smell seems to stimulate his appetite a bit more.

Has your vet said anything about appetite stimulants? I don't know what they use in dogs, but we have a container of mirtazapine we use for his bad days and it really does get him eating again.

Sorry about your girl. It's so hard to watch them getting old and sick :(

Hi Yipeegirl, we have some herbal supplements to help with her appetite - my oh has to stick them down her throat in some sausage as I can't seem to do it properly. Thanks for the tip on the mirtazapine I'll ask the vet about it if she deteriorates some more. At the moment she still isn't keen on cooked - so I'm trying to stick with what works - which usually involves quite a few options.

It is comforting to see that others have had similar issues. Thank you.

I tried an appetite stimulant for Danny which had no effect. Apparently they work well for cats, but not so well with dogs. I still have a box of 80 tablets of Periactin if anyone is interested. Probably cost more to post than to buy LOL. I can't remember what they cost. I've not heard of mirtazapine.

Thanks also Scottsmum. She used to eat raw eggs. I'll try some cooked ones over the next few days when we don't have people round! Lashes seems to go on and off chicken thigh meat chopped up in 1cm cubes - today veal mince worked. I guess I just have to have lots of daily options to see what she fancies for the day! :)

My oldies liked scrambled eggs and cheese.

Tinned food is good for keeping them hydrated if they have renal issues. Good luck with her appetite. It's very stressful when they won't eat. :(

When you are desperate, try ice-cream.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I tried an appetite stimulant for Danny which had no effect. Apparently they work well for cats, but not so well with dogs. I still have a box of 80 tablets of Periactin if anyone is interested. Probably cost more to post than to buy LOL. I can't remember what they cost. I've not heard of mirtazapine.

In OZ, it is also known as Remeron and is mainly prescribed for depression ( in humans). A bonus is appetite stimulation. Prescirbed for both dogs and cats here.

It was hit and miss with my cancer riddled boy with food in the end. He was always mad about cheese so I made him scrambled eggs (or more of an omelette really) with cheese and grated carrot and peas (not sure he wanted peas and carrots but I wanted to get fibre into him) which he would eat. He also enjoyed raw chuck steak cut into cubes. When they feel really unwell though, sadly, the appetite goes. Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I would hand feed the food to him at least to start him off and let him take over if he developed his appetite.

• 1 month later...