Is There A Cheaper Worming Option Than Panacur?

indigirl

Panacur will last you for ages. And works out quite cheaply, just expensive to buy. Do you use it 3 days running?

I have been using Fido's Closasole - 100 tabs are not too bad (compared with Popantel or Drontal). It does all worms and is not expensive. It's often a good price on the net, if you look around. Ovids (think that's it) in Q is pretty good. My vet thinks it is a pretty savage wormer and can cause stomach upsets, but I have had no problems with it.

You can also use Ivermectin, but it is off label (Sheep and Goat, or Cattle one), and you will need a vet to tell you the appropriate dose. I did know, but have lost my book with quantities. However, it does work.

But I always usd Drontal liquid with pups.

I also use Fidos. I recently paid $65 for 100 tablets. I tablet per 10 kilo cat or dog.

I split them for my little ones. Check expiry date as I usually give some to friends as I cant use them all over the use by date but it still works out very cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Ivermectin doesn't do tapeworm, or at least that's what my vet told me the other day when I got some.

Tapeworm is hard, but not that common. There are two species. The one that is spread by fleas is most common here. Praziquantel is the compound most used to treat it. It is effective but fairly expensive. You'll find it in the more expensive multi- type worming tabs. If you have persistent problems, you can buy the active ingredient in stuff that fish farmers use to treat tapeworm, but you'll have to do some homework on dosage. If you're not good at working out concentrations and weights, get some help from someone who is comfortable with such calculations.

I use Fenpral $105 for 100 tabs it is a generic form of Drontal which is available now that the patent on Drontal has expired. I alternate with Propantel to reduce resistance when the bottle runs out.