Photos Of Pet Shop In Doubt

Steve

any aniomals being left without water in this weather is just inexcusable. But manipulating photos to tell a story you want is also a well known AR tactic too, so would certainly not take the word of a group like OL as gospel, esp since is not banning the sale of dogs and cats in pet shops they really want, it is only that they want to control the supply and for pet shops to only be stocked from facilities they deem unsuitable (ie rescue groups or shelters). They certainly don't have any problems with dogs and cats from rescue shelters being in there, and given how happy most of these groups seem to be to foster to anyone - I have yet to see one ask for proof before someone applies to be a foster carer that they actually have a multiple animal permit allowing them to go over their numbers allowed by council in the event they already have existing animals for instance, and since people can generally not visit any animals at foster carers homes, who knows if these ones have access to water 24/7, or are living in clean surrounds

Yes manipulating photos and telling lies is a well known animal rights tactic but surely by now pet shops should know they are at risk and ensure they dont get caught with their pants down.

Im the first to agree that some who foster and or rescue are pretty rotten but I do take objection to an assumption that there are no checks on some foster carers and rescue or that they all can be judged equally . Ive no doubt that if rescue dogs were in a shop with no water someone would say something - it may not be beaten up as this is but if you think rescue has some how been exempt from bad PR better look again.

Steve, you would know more than most that hell will freeze over while we wait for council's to do what they "should". :mad

The Companion Animals Act has been in existence for nearly 16 years. How many dogs find their way into pounds who aren't microcipped?

We don't need any more Laws, we just need Order. That is, a commitment to the existing laws and the personnel on the ground to ensure they are carried out.

Instead of a councillor getting a new car every six months or whatever, how about hiring a properly trained and supported ranger to ensure that existing laws are adhered to?

It's simple really, so why doesn't it happen?

Councillors spend too much time on photoshoots and doing the things that will get them publicity. And taking brown paper bags under the counter.

:mad:mad

Steve, you would know more than most that hell will freeze over while we wait for council's to do what they "should". :mad

The Companion Animals Act has been in existence for nearly 16 years. How many dogs find their way into pounds who aren't microcipped?

We don't need any more Laws, we just need Order. That is, a commitment to the existing laws and the personnel on the ground to ensure they are carried out.

Instead of a councillor getting a new car every six months or whatever, how about hiring a properly trained and supported ranger to ensure that existing laws are adhered to?

Councillors spend too much time on photoshoots and doing the things that will get them publicity. And taking brown paper bags under the counter.

Really, as the wife of a hard working Councillor I find that comment insulting.

First up: Pet shops suck, and shouldn't be doing live animals. It is an archaic and inadequate treatment of all pets much like the days when zoo animals lived in a tiny concrete cell with metal bars for public amusement. And in the end their lives are basically stock with a use by date.

But, almost 20 years ago I was a pet shop employee. And a very good one re hygiene and care. And yes you can quietly put people off certain dogs but you'd better not get caught.

Several times, I was yelled at for pups having no water and had to point out that the heavy bowl with blue glaze was in fact spotless and full. Not empty. There's a sick puppy: no it's actually asleep. There's a poo: no we remove poos (can you smell a poo?) that is a chew stick. Everything, even the floors & counters were cleaned with hot water and microcide, we never had the parvo everyone else had had.

And your alternative is sell them or they sit in that vile glass box for months deteriorating. I didn't work for a store who does PTS of old pups. And took a few older ones home as my own, because I couldn't stand to watch them jump up and down, up and down, up and down all day. It's no life. And eventually I burned out, my final battle was over a test run for desexing of kittens. They sold for $35 pre-microchipping, no vetcheck, no vaccine and there was no budging on that. It was disgusting and I realised just how little they cared. "Everything has it's price" was a favourite saying.

So looking back today, by very name 'pet shop' we would be under considerable fire and were still doing things a whole lot better than some of the current promoted and more socially acceptable ways of getting a pet. :mad That may upset people but it's true, especially now in rescue. The enemy should be anyone who doesn't fulfil a duty of care no matter what they call themselves.

Edited by Powerlegs

They tell me its a money thing - cant afford the staff required to enforce what is already there. I say but if you put someone on to enforce the current laws and they really did then the fines would easily pay the wages - even just on micro chipping and registrations. Perhaps they need to employ subcontractors who will enforce the laws and keep the fines. You can just see that happening too - might loose too many votes.

the point is pet shops should know they are vulnerable and do what needs to be done to ensure its always done and not just when they think someone is watching then there could be no photos - sorry no sympathy for them. If the council has to inspect anyway due to a report then in my dream world Im hoping they make em put in systems so it wont happen again.

Usually when I change the water I use the same bowl. I remove the empty bowl, rinse then refill so I would be doubtful if there was an empty bowl in the cage. Or sometimes I fill a jug and top up the water bowl; I would think this easiest in a pet shop.

It only takes a few seconds to do. Wouldn't cameras have the time on them? My basic one does

In my opinion you should take the second bowl and a jug of water with you put that bowl in as you are taking the first out and fill it right there on the spot. there is not one second then that the bowl is not in the cage or not with water.

If you do what you are doing and take the bowl away there is a risk that a photo can be taken when you are cleaning the bowl and putting it back to accuse the shop of not having water bowls or you can be distracted and having the pup without water for longer than a minute. Even a minute is enough for a photo shoot if someone wants to ping you. Cover the pup and cover your ass.

Edited by Steve