Puppy Nipping Toes

sheena

I feel a bit silly asking this question :laugh: but it's a long time since I had pup. My daughter's little devil is nipping toes & ankles. I thought about the idea of putting holding down his tongue with the thumb, but this is no good when he is nipping the other end.

Those milk teeth hurt, no? My experience has been that they grow out of it faster than you can train them out of it. Solution: wear shoes. Or is this an older pup?

He's 12 weeks old & his breeding????.....about 5% SWF & 95% black devil. It's my daughters pup & I think she has tried squirting him with water when he does it, but he thinks that is just so much fun :laugh: Good idea...wear shoes & maybe spray the shoes with bitter spray or vicks.

Those milk teeth hurt, no? My experience has been that they grow out of it faster than you can train them out of it. Solution: wear shoes. Or is this an older pup?

He's 12 weeks old & his breeding????.....about 5% SWF & 95% black devil. It's my daughters pup & I think she has tried squirting him with water when he does it, but he thinks that is just so much fun :laugh: Good idea...wear shoes & maybe spray the shoes with bitter spray or vicks.

Dont go to the extra expense of Vicks.

Get the generic from Woolworths. Works well.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sheena, I have a simple solution. Substitute a toy or chew bone when your puppy tries to gnaw on fingers or toes. Provide plenty of interesting and new toys so that your puppy will play with them instead of gnawing on you or your clothing!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with this currently too - a 6mo Springer Spaniel I dog sit regularly nips sharply when excited, and occasionally doesn't let go when she grabs a finger. It's pretty painful and my arms and legs are covered in bite bruises! I've never had a nipper before so I don't really know what to do aside from shoving a toy in her mouth instead. I've started just carrying toys around in my pockets all the time... :o

Ally the dog sitter

what a painful problem.

I have a few solutions...

1. teach collar grab. Grab dog's collar when it grabs you... hopefully the collar grab game usually means a treat or toy and the dog will spit you out. Also teach "it's yer choice" - tho that's going to hurt for the first five minutes. But anything that develops the puppy's impulse control is good.

2. push - very gently - your finger further into the dog's mouth until it spits you out. Then tell it what a good dog it is and give it something else to chew.

3. teach it fetch with the aim of it finding and fetching a toy and giving it to you when it wants attention instead of just chomping.

Puppies will do this - especially if they left the litter before they learned not to bite so hard.

My puppy (now dog) would match the roughness of play - so if I was rough with her in getting her to let go - she would be rough with me - ie bite harder - so it is really important to be slow and gentle.

And with excita puppy, it helps to learn some moves that calm a dog down, like a "remote" drop, and ear rubs and butt rubs (that bit just above the tail). If you can bliss a dog out, it's going to be calmer and less interested in chomping.

Failing that - always have a toy.

...white vinegar also works for those times when you need a break. I would keep chew toys everywhere in the house and try chewing substitution first and the vinegar/vicks etc is just a back-up. Mixing tea tree oil with some olive oil is normally smelly enough to work as well too.

Ally the dog sitter

what a painful problem.

I have a few solutions...

Thanks so much - these are great and I won't feel like I'm interrupting Lotus' training from her mum in the process. The key is to stay calm I suppose, which is difficult when you're in pain!

I am in the process of teaching her fetch and drop it. She didn't have any balls previously - only squeaky toys - but she picked up a rogue tennis ball on our last walk and really enjoyed it, so I will add a ball to our play from now on. :)

Luckily (or unluckily?) she's a very smart pup so I don't think it should be too much longer until she realises what's what.

Question that probably should be in another thread: does desexing affect energy levels in any way? Lotus is also the first dog I've known that wasn't already desexed, and she had the big op two weeks ago.

My dog from the AWL was desexed at 8 weeks. She's always been energetic.

I've not noticed anything affect a dog's energy levels by way of desexing or not desexing, which can make the two weeks post op interesting - ie dog is supposed to stay calm until all healed up.

But trick training, long walks (on lead), and a nice meal can use up energy levels.