Animals Give Elderly A Boost

Ally @ Pawshake

How lovely is this? Anyone know of any similar programs in other areas?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/south/pets-are-proving-to-be-a-real-winner-at-aged-care-facilities-across-brisbane/story-fni9r1nj-1227182425024

Pets are proving to be a real winner at aged care facilities across Brisbane

January 13, 2015 1:10am

PETS of all shapes and sizes are helping to enhance the lives and wellbeing of aged care residents across ­Brisbane.

At TriCare Jindalee Aged Care Residence, the facility encourages residents to interact with pets, including dogs, budgies, chickens and guinea pigs.

TriCare Jindalee Aged Care have animals on-site and that visit patients to boost residents' mood and improve wellbeing. Graham Enslow cares for chickens at the residence. Photo by Sarah Keayes

The powerful difference the human-animal bond can make is evident at the facility where dementia sufferer Graham Enslow (above) cares for chickens and Lilian ­Carmichael bonds with Norah the labradoodle.

Facility manager Paul MacDonald said the residents absolutely loved interacting with animals.

“It helps reduce anxiety and puts a smile on their faces,” he said.

The Animal Welfare League Australia (AWLA) last year announced a new small grants program to deliver $10,000 funding to support pets in aged care settings.

While a number of aged care facilities have shared pets for the companionship of all residents and staff, the Pets in Aged Care Grants program has been developed to support and maintain the existing bonds between aged care residents and their individual pets.

It provides residents with the practical means to cover costs for the likes of vet bills, grooming, dog walking, feeding or making minor modifications to living quarters to enable live-in ­arrangements.

Funding may also allow for a carer to help.

Visit awla.com.au for more information.

my Amstaff Dezzy is a Delta Therapy Dog where he goes into a nursing home and a disability centre.....there are many many great reactions from the residents and they love seeing the dog.....the nursing home that I attend is a dementia nursing home and even though they have lost their memories if I am 5 minutes late they tell me off....lol....it is great seeing their reactions and at the disability centre there have been many new things that the residents would not normally do....it is so rewarding just to see their faces when Dezzy walks in the door :)

Delta Society has many volunteers all over Australia :)

Edited by dezzyno.1

Pets are so important in many peoples lives, it has always saddened me to see the elderly separated from their pets and contact with other animals. Lately as this articles shows, there are nursing homes and other facilities realizing that the human/animal bond is an integral one for many of us, hopefully this trend will continue to be implemented.

One of the hospices that I visit has a dog and a couple of cats wandering around visiting residents, the most peaceful sight I saw once when I was transferring a person one of the cats was curled on the end of the bed sleeping, I was almost moved to tears by the aura in the room, for some reason the presence of the cat made the passing seem very spiritual and special.

I bet the residents love Dezzy, older people always love my chunky Abbie when I bring her to work with me smile.gif

Pets are so important in many peoples lives, it has always saddened me to see the elderly separated from their pets and contact with other animals. Lately as this articles shows, there are nursing homes and other facilities realizing that the human/animal bond is an integral one for many of us, hopefully this trend will continue to be implemented.

One of the hospices that I visit has a dog and a couple of cats wandering around visiting residents, the most peaceful sight I saw once when I was transferring a person one of the cats was curled on the end of the bed sleeping, I was almost moved to tears by the aura in the room, for some reason the presence of the cat made the passing seem very spiritual and special.

I bet the residents love Dezzy, older people always love my chunky Abbie when I bring her to work with me smile.gif

Yes Robbi the oldies do love Dezzy and they know what day he comes in to visit even though they have dementia....they say when a cat sleeps on a persons bed that their time is near and I believe the animals do make the elderly feel a lot better in themselves with pets around.....at the Disability Centre another group came into the unit where I was visiting and one of the clients was patting and talking to Dezzy and everyone was pulling out ipads, phones, cameras etc taking pics of them and also they were crying....I asked what was going on and they said the lady that was patting Dezzy was absolutely terrified of dogs and when they asked her why she was patting Dezzy for she replied that she just felt safe with him.....so yes pets do make a huge difference in nursing homes and disability centres they also have classroom canines which encourge children having difficulty learning make a difference and they start to learn with the dog....there are so many things that pets can do just by being a pet :thumbsup:

Yes Robbi the oldies do love Dezzy and they know what day he comes in to visit even though they have dementia....they say when a cat sleeps on a persons bed that their time is near and I believe the animals do make the elderly feel a lot better in themselves with pets around.....at the Disability Centre another group came into the unit where I was visiting and one of the clients was patting and talking to Dezzy and everyone was pulling out ipads, phones, cameras etc taking pics of them and also they were crying....I asked what was going on and they said the lady that was patting Dezzy was absolutely terrified of dogs and when they asked her why she was patting Dezzy for she replied that she just felt safe with him.....so yes pets do make a huge difference in nursing homes and disability centres they also have classroom canines which encourge children having difficulty learning make a difference and they start to learn with the dog....there are so many things that pets can do just by being a pet :thumbsup:

With this sort of thing....how do you get on with insurance :confused:

You are usually affiliated with another organisation like Delta, Kintala, Dogs Victoria etc who have an assessment program and public liability insurance.

Does that also insure your dog? I have heard a story, where a therapy dog was attacked by an elderly person. I have always wanted to do it :)

You are usually affiliated with another organisation like Delta, Kintala, Dogs Victoria etc who have an assessment program and public liability insurance.

Does that also insure your dog? I have heard a story, where a therapy dog was attacked by an elderly person. I have always wanted to do it :)

yes you and your dog are covered through places like Delta (I assume it is the same everywhere else) and they even help you if a court case happens due to something that maybe happened at a facility you are visiting

• 1 month later...