So How Do You Know It's Love?

Stressmagnet

I felt a close bond with both our dogs even as pups. I love them more than anything, my husband even says more than him :laugh: I don't exactly deny it :o

I think they love me (and as said love is a human thing) but in their way, because of the way they look at me, follow me around, enjoy being cuddled and seek out my attention, play with me and expect me to be around for them.

Like perse said, sometimes you just know although being able to put it into words.

Edited by Dame Aussie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Stan I'm not sure :/ He likes me because I feed him and to him food is the most important thing in his world. He's only affectionate when it suits him and when I leave the house he's pretty meh about it. Maddie on the other hand rarely lets me out of her sight. She loves to snuggle up to me, she craves affection I can kiss her face all day and she loves it. Her little face at the window is the last thing I see as I back out the driveway and the first thing I see when I get home, I really do think she loves me. Right now she is curled around my back on the lounge and I have no idea where Stan is but I'm guessing in my bed lol

I think my dog loves me. The level of body wiggle when I get home is a sight to behold. I'm not even the fun parent! She probably loves my OH more than me, he's the fun parent and if he so much as shifts his weight she's awake and ready to go on an adventure with him.

I get a lot of joy out of her, and I think she gets a lot of joy out of us.

I think dogs love.

There is some literature which suggests dogs serotonin levels increase when the hear someone they "love".

I suppose its a hugely individual thing. How do they react when they see you after a long time apart? Are they willing to trust you when something scary grabs their attention? Do the choose to spend time with you when they have the option to be elsewhere...

I have no doubt my feelings for Scottie are mutual ???? I couldn't put my finger on when this all happened... i still felt like we'd made a terrible mistake adopting him 4 to 6 weeks after doing so...

And if it isnt love its as close as it can be and its wonderful!

When you regularly get bruises in the shape of little tail bones across your legs; then you know its love :)

That's so "tailsist". tongue.gif

I'm not sure I would call it love, but what ever it is, it's wonderful. smile.gif

Nova has things he does for/with me that he doesn't do with other people. He is friendly with everyone, but if there are multiple people in the house (and he's already said his hellos and calmed down), he will place himself next to me. He doesn't really listen to other people if they give him commands, but I'm not sure if that's his affection for me or just that I'm the one who trains/feeds him.

When I had housemates they informed me that when I leave the house he will every now and then look out the front door or window, will sleep next to the door. Even though he grew up with my housemate too, he never displayed any "missing" behaviours when she would go away, there has been zero behaviour differences in him since she moved out too.

Edited by LisaCC

When you regularly get bruises in the shape of little tail bones across your legs; then you know its love :)

I'm not sure I would call it love, but what ever it is, it's wonderful. smile.gif

Nova has things he does for/with me that he doesn't do with other people. He is friendly with everyone, but if there are multiple people in the house (and he's already said his hellos and calmed down), he will place himself next to me. He doesn't really listen to other people if they give him commands, but I'm not sure if that's his affection for me or just that I'm the one who trains/feeds him.

When I had housemates they informed me that when I leave the house he will every now and then look out the front door or window, will sleep next to the door. Even though he grew up with my housemate too, he never displayed any "missing" behaviours when she would go away, there has been zero behaviour differences in him since she moved out too.

Ohhhhh I do love the peering out the window. It melts my heart to walk back from the shop and see her waiting at the window for me... Even though the fun parent is still home with her!

While I have loved Didi since I brought home in that I would have been devastated if anything happened to her and enjoyed her company and she responded with general puppyish affection, it took a while to 'bond' with her.

It probably wasn't till she hit 10/11mths after some behavioural problems popped up and we spent a lot of time working on them and I became so much more in tune with her that we begun to really click. She trusts me a lot and is completely comfortable with me doing anything with her and I can read her like a book.

While she likes my whole family I think she only 'loves' my Dad and I. With my Dad she flat out adores him and is very affectionate with him and demanding of his attention and appears to consider him as her favourite. With me however I feel like I'm her 'person' in that I'm the only one she listens to properly and she keeps an eye on me and is protective of me. She sleeps wrapped up with me every night and when I go out she is always waiting on my bed when I return, I just have to smile at her to get a tail thump out of her etc. so I definitely think there's some kind of 'love' there.

But it definitely took a lot longer to reach that sort of dog-owner bond than I anticipated... I had the kind of unrealistic notion that the moment I met her I would know she was the one and she'd feel the same but it really took a while to go from 'I love having a dog' to 'I love having THIS dog' if that makes sense :laugh:

I have Maremma genetically selected to bond with the people and animals they live with but after living with them for over 20 years and having them as pets and working with our sheep and chickens as much as it breaks my heart I dont think they love me or the species they work with and I dont even think they are the ones that bond .Everything about them from the minute they are born makes you want to love them and be in their company .The way the puppies simply lay like ragdolls and look into your eyes like a human baby just makes your heart melt - every bit of their body language designed to make the animal or human they are working with believe they can trust them and rely on them for protection and safety - and they can. But I think for the Maremma its just a job. When they are taken away from the species they work with or their everyday job and environment they do get stressed but I think thats more like taking a country kid and dropping them in the middle of the city with strangers. I think dogs are pretty smart and get to know what gets them more reward and learn behaviours that make you love them and do what they want you to do. Give them company , comfort and warmth and food etc. Humans have selected dogs to have certain characteristics and behaviours but have we been able to set the ability for a dog to love us ? I dont think so but then again - what is love ? Ive had people in my life who I have loved and I believed they loved me but that sure did set me up for some pretty serious kicks in the head too.

Lulu is very much a one-person dog...that person being OH.They are inseparable ,his is the only knee she will sit on etc.However ,when I go out to get shopping etc ,both dogs just sit at the gate waiting for me to return.Then they go crazy..barking etc as if they haven't seen me for a month ,when it's only been an hour! Ollie loves both of us ,very affectionate to both. Love ? Definitely :)

I feel it more as a "connection" than think about it in terms of "love". When you've got that two-way connection and you recognise it, it's unmistakable - it's an *understanding* of each other that is deep reaching.

I have Maremma genetically selected to bond with the people and animals they live with but after living with them for over 20 years and having them as pets and working with our sheep and chickens as much as it breaks my heart I dont think they love me or the species they work with and I dont even think they are the ones that bond .Everything about them from the minute they are born makes you want to love them and be in their company .The way the puppies simply lay like ragdolls and look into your eyes like a human baby just makes your heart melt - every bit of their body language designed to make the animal or human they are working with believe they can trust them and rely on them for protection and safety - and they can. But I think for the Maremma its just a job. When they are taken away from the species they work with or their everyday job and environment they do get stressed but I think thats more like taking a country kid and dropping them in the middle of the city with strangers. I think dogs are pretty smart and get to know what gets them more reward and learn behaviours that make you love them and do what they want you to do. Give them company , comfort and warmth and food etc. Humans have selected dogs to have certain characteristics and behaviours but have we been able to set the ability for a dog to love us ? I dont think so but then again - what is love ? Ive had people in my life who I have loved and I believed they loved me but that sure did set me up for some pretty serious kicks in the head too.

yep they are manipulative little sods! Dennys Dog put his little paws on my shoulders and gazed deeply into my eyes and said; YOU ARE MINE ALL MINE I OWN YOUR HEART. Same happened with his litter mate and her person... it was instant.

LOLs

adding on the otherhand when Jake, pitbull rescued from fighting, arrived at my place for the australia day long weekend way back in 2000..he knew he had arrived "home' and set about wriggling his way into my heart and despite all my efforts i fell hopelessly in love with that brave heart and soul. He was a velco dog as well.

Tailsist :laugh:

I'm not a tailsist, but dogs with little bobtails just can't express their love in bruises the same way tailed dogs can. Just sayin.

I never understood what a heart dog was until I got one. I've loved every single dog that has come into my life but around 7 years ago this terribly naughty little pied sbt came to stay with me temporarily and I just felt this unconditional love from her, like I was her whole world and that her life was not complete unless I was by her side. I got bedridden sick not long after she came here and even as a puppy she seemed to know. She didn't whine about a lack of attention or misbehave but adjusted herself around me. She would bring me her favourite toy and lay it on my chest to cheer me up. She seemed to know when I needed her touching for comfort or when I needed to just have her within arms reach. She has always seemed to be able to tell when crazy play is ok. Even when I shattered my wrist a couple of years back she lay by me but was never in the way, like she knew where I hurt. She was incredibly destructive for her first three years but never once have I hated that about her or been really angry with her. She does have an aspect of her personality that makes me sad or disappointed when it shows but I consider it is up to me to manage her triggers because they are breed related. She is a dog that pretty much loves everyone and everything. She is oozing joy 24/7, which is hard not to love! I think I was most proudest of her when we were fostering - she was so nurturing of the most damaged dogs and helped them find confidence and happiness again. I saw a whole different side to her.

So for me I see her 'love' in how attuned she is to me, which naturally started pretty much when she arrived and wasn't something I trained her to do. I should add she is also like this with other people. If my sister is having a hard time she will sleep with her, and has a way of just letting me know that she's not ignoring me but feels she is needed elsewhere. And she has never exhibited any jealousy over my interactions with other dogs either. She's an excellent sharer!

I'm not a tailsist, but dogs with little bobtails just can't express their love in bruises the same way tailed dogs can. Just sayin.

I can't say I miss the bruises laugh.gif

I do miss the thumping of a tail on the carpet though.

Is that doggy love or just being a labrador? Tail starts thumping if I even glanced in his general direction smile.gif

Is that doggy love or just being a labrador? Tail starts thumping if I even glanced in his general direction smile.gif

Yeah! I love the thumping tail on the carpet! That is definitely love because Digby used to do it too! You just look at them and thump, thump, thump :)

Vizslas do wiggle butts WITH tails going full cry.

When we went to 'collect' Herbert last year, the breeder had taken all the collars off the puppies.

There was this adorable pile of puppies.

But no MisterBrown, now aka Herbert. He was away from all the others, sleeping under a trolley.

I asked his whereabouts.

And the wee critter came over & plonked himself on my feet. He simply curled up & gave a wee happy grunt.

Was it love?

Well I was smitten.

:heart:

Yeah! I love the thumping tail on the carpet! That is definitely love because Digby used to do it too! You just look at them and thump, thump, thump :)

Mosley does this :) Lili has a bob tail but her wiggle bum makes up for a tail :laugh:

Hank had a truly glorious tail. Long with a beautiful smooth upward curve and hair about 15cm long. It could make circles both ways or go side to side with variable speeds.

Poor Jake, he has a natural screw tail and the best he can do is a kind of stranded earthworm twitch. He does have the softest lip extensions, they put babies bottoms to shame. I know we were meant to be together because his snout exactly matches my eye socket. I need coffee and a good eye hoovering to get my day going.

Hank had a truly glorious tail. Long with a beautiful smooth upward curve and hair about 15cm long. It could make circles both ways or go side to side with variable speeds.

Poor Jake, he has a natural screw tail and the best he can do is a kind of stranded earthworm twitch. He does have the softest lip extensions, they put babies bottoms to shame. I know we were meant to be together because his snout exactly matches my eye socket. I need coffee and a good eye hoovering to get my day going.

That's love, that IS love.

:D