So How Do You Know It's Love?

Stressmagnet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog is a total love tart, anyone, anywhere will do if they offer pats. But I know her heart belongs to me. :)

And maybe my youngest child. If we cuddle, my dog has to squeeze between us- & I'm not sure who she is jealous of! Or maybe she just wants to get in the middle of her two favourite people. It's quite sweet, if a little tricky at times... :laugh:

Tailsist :laugh:

I'm not a tailsist, but dogs with little bobtails just can't express their love in bruises the same way tailed dogs can. Just sayin.

No. Thats where the whole back end / bum wiggle comes into its own

Just thought of something.... the love talk!!!!

Vizslas do roo-roos when they are happy.

Any of your dogs make love talk sounds too?

:love:

Grunts, snuffles and huffs. I'm not sure if it's all Bulldogs but Jake has a kind of dolphin thing happening. It took a while but I can mostly understand what's going on. He has the most delicious yawn, he gets into bed, throws his head back and "aaaaack". Put the worst insomniac into a coma.

Grunts, snuffles and huffs. I'm not sure if it's all Bulldogs but Jake has a kind of dolphin thing happening. It took a while but I can mostly understand what's going on. He has the most delicious yawn, he gets into bed, throws his head back and "aaaaack". Put the worst insomniac into a coma.

I know that one!

Gabor was the King of that yawn. Such a love to have as a bed companion. I still miss that.

Our pei talks all the time (the Queen of deep sighs too), as does the husky/shep mix (husky noises) but my poor sbt has no talking skills. The best she can manage is some high octave trills at the end of a yawn. She only does them out of desperation when she is uber excited and has to share it verbally somehow.

So maybe this is a sign Ernie values me more than just food and shelter?

I was awake anyway at 2:30am and thought he sounded a bit restless in his crate, so I took him out for a pee. We have a feral rabbit problem and as he was sniffing around, he caught sight of one. He was off leash because I was lazy and sleepy - I know it's bad, and I won't do it again. BUT.

He saw the bunny and before I could grab his collar, he gave chase. Up the street about 200 yards and then bulletted past me in hot pursuit for another possible 200 yards in the downhill direction.

I simply called him to me as he began to vanish out of sight (trying not to panic) and he swerved in mid stride and returned to me all happy and proud of himself.

Now I know I made some mistakes, so no flaming please - but isn't it awesome that he stopped something so ingrained in his nature (and to be honest, he looked beautiful in his full loping run) and cane back to me for nothing more than a cuddle, llicky face and a pat? I think so. :)

Edited by Stressmagnet

So maybe this is a sign Ernie values me more than just food and shelter?

I was awake anyway at 2:30am and thought he sounded a bit restless in his crate, so I took him out for a pee. We have a feral rabbit problem and as he was sniffing around, he caught sight of one. He was off leash because I was lazy and sleepy - I know it's bad, and I won't do it again. BUT.

He saw the bunny and before I could grab his collar, he gave chase. Up the street about 200 yards and then bulletted past me in hot pursuit for another possible 200 yards in the downhill direction.

I simply called him to me as he began to vanish out of sight (trying not to panic) and he swerved in mid stride and returned to me all happy and proud of himself.

Now I know I made some mistakes, so no flaming please - but isn't it awesome that he stopped something so ingrained in his nature (and to be honest, he looked beautiful in his full loping run) and cane back to me for nothing more than a cuddle, llicky face and a pat? I think so. :)

Love? Respect? It does not matter, because Ernie was brilliant and a very very good boy for coming when called. :thumbsup:

My emotional side says it is love. My intellectual side says it is various reasons.

My dogs will sit or lie near me no matter what part of the house I am and they will move when I do, but they will not do the same for OH. Is this love or pack orientated security ie Stay near the leader just in case you miss an opportunity?

My dogs will sleep near me and sit on the couch with their heads on me, but they will move away if OH touches them. Is this love or gaining comfort from the pack leader?

My dogs will work well for me, with lots of joy (most of the time :doh: ) but will look for me or to me when working for other people. This is the reason I cannot be around when Zeph shows. Is this love or uncertainty about the pack order or anxiety/lack of confidence in the other handler?

My dogs will bring me toys and treasures of all descriptions, but they will also take toys to other people if we are at peoples' houses visiting or visiting the nursing home. Is this love or a tactic to instigate retrieving games and get treats?

My dogs will greet me at the door like some long lost lover, with madly wagging tails and in Zeph's case a toy, tub or sock. Is this love or the pack leader returning with resources or the chance of freedom in the way of a walk?

My dogs will come to me when they want something, be it a pat, food, walk, to be let out to the toilet, but not the OH. Is this love or the fact that I can read them a lot better than the OH and can meet their needs?

So many alternatives. I like to think that it is love and a special bond that we have, because I am always doing things with them (walking, training, entertaining) or for them (feeding, grooming, healing, protecting) but is it purely a survival behaviour?

Edited by grumpette