Venting Time

DobieMum

So frustrated at the moment. I desexed my 3 year old boy yesterday. Last night I put pictures up on my FB wall of him sulking (really only because he has to wear the cone of shame). I am a registered (with the ccc) breeder, but I haven't used my prefix because I haven't had the right one to breed from or the timing has been really bad. My boy, before I desexed him, I checked with my breeder, to check she didn't want him first. So I was 100% happy with my decision. I have an entire bitch and I didn't want them getting together.

So on FB, I didn't realize how many do-gooder, rescue friend I had, until I put these pictures up and they're all telling me I've done the right thing. So were they all judging me before, for doing the wrong thing, for having an entire dog. I only did this for my convenience, what right do they have to judge.

Vent over.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry too much about them.

They could have been trying to shove their opinion down your throat earlier. I often have things that say adopt don't shop come up on mine or don't support breeders while shelter dogs die.

Sometimes we have discussions about it depending on if I need entertainment.

You know why you are doing what you are. If it really bothers you say essentially what you have on here.

Meh.

Don't listen to FB online rescue experts :laugh: there's a lot worse going on under their noses, you're just lucky they weren't in a complete flap about your dog being from a breeder.

edit: where's the photos? :D you can't mention cone of shame and not share lol

Edited by Powerlegs

If you're happy with your decision then thats all that matters. I've got nothing against rescue - our girl is one - but sometimes the #AdoptDontShop ninnies do my head in. Rescuing a dog is a noble thing, but so is the betterment of a breed which is something you clearly have a passion for.

PS Dobes are wonderful :love:

Finding a rescue that suits our needs is basically impossible. They always seems to be enormous mixes, highly active kelpies, or tiny terrier mixes. I would have happily opted to adopt a greyhound but husband doesn't like them so much.

I worry that people will think we're shallow for caring so much about how a dog looks but hey, what can you do. We don't plan to show or breed so of course we'll desex, its in the contract with the breeder.

#AdoptDon'tShop is great and all, but I feel it taints responsible breeders with the puppy farm brush, which is unfair.

Yeah. What ^ they said.

I desexed Ernie but it wasn't simething I felt I HAD to do. I'm a responsible owner who would have kept him secure and away from entire bitches. That said, the dog on the other side of me is an entire bitch. Since I wasn't going to breed Ernie (I'm NOT a breeder), I had him done - mainly to avoid the chance of unwanted behaviours (marking, and pining over the beauty next door. Anyone want a Huskidor? Anyone?).

Ignore your well meaning friends. If they didn't bug you before, they're jyst trumpeting the party line now, because unfortunately, there are a lot of dickheads out there, who WOULD breed a Huskidor.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Thankyou, it was just a vent on here, because I was just too gutless to take them on there. I'm happy with my decisions.

I'm on my phone at the moment powerlegs, I'll try to upload one on the computer later, cause I can never see to upload it from here.

It's all just different points of view. Better to think of it that way, than as a 'judgement'.

It is good to adopt a rescue dog but it's also good to adopt a pedigree dog from a registered breeder who does all the right things that mean their puppies are unlikely to be later dumped & require rescue. Which means, if someone wanted to, they could get one of each. They are not in opposition. Both are proactive in terms of dogs' welfare, with one being preventative as well.

Edited by mita

I cop the opposite - always had show dogs so desexing while showing is out. Haven't bred any for years but I still don't desex. Everyone has their own ideas and I respect that, pity others weren't the same. When I mention I have a dog and bitch now, different breeds, neither desexed, nor going to be bred with, I cop all the 'accidents' that will happen, all the health dramas etc. Can't please everyone, so just please myself, lol.

Finding a rescue that suits our needs is basically impossible. They always seems to be enormous mixes, highly active kelpies, or tiny terrier mixes. I would have happily opted to adopt a greyhound but husband doesn't like them so much.

I worry that people will think we're shallow for caring so much about how a dog looks but hey, what can you do. We don't plan to show or breed so of course we'll desex, its in the contract with the breeder.

#AdoptDon'tShop is great and all, but I feel it taints responsible breeders with the puppy farm brush, which is unfair.

So true about not being able to find a rescue that suits my needs. As a first time dog owner, I just wasn’t confident that I had the skills or experience to deal with any preexisting issues that the dog may come with, especially if I didn’t know their history. I don’t regret my decision to buy a pure bred dog from a registered breeder, whom I can go back to for help or advice, but I am always self-conscious when people ask me what breed Lucca is – trying to say Lagotto Romagnolo without sounding snobby is really hard! Then explaining that they’re an old Italian breed used for truffle hunting makes it worse! Luckily, Lucca is overdue for a haircut and is looking a bit scruffy at the moment :D

and they're all telling me I've done the right thing. So were they all judging me before, for doing the wrong thing, for having an entire dog. I only did this for my convenience, what right do they have to judge.

..and why would it be a judgement ?

if you rescued a lizard off a highway, or decided to chain yourself to a tree - and we said "well Done , you are doing the right thing!" Would that be a judgement ? No ....

I also think you have done a good thing - it saves all sorts of hassles :)

Your decision, your business.

I get really sick of people pushing the desexing thing. Took my 5 month old puppy to the Vet for her vaccination recently and the Vet nurse asked me when she was booked in for desexing. I told her I was not having her desexed which was met with "Why not" Basically I told her it was my dog I would make the decisions.

The thing is though not everyone who chooses to not desex their dog is responsible, MOST who do not desex do not care if their dog falls pregnant, that is where most of our problems lie - with the irresponsible ones. If someone tells me they are not desexing their dog, and I don't know them, I will also spout all the reasons to desex....

I get to feel like a lepor sometimes, because I chose to get pedigree dogs & not rescue

Don't worry, I'm a vet with two purebred cats (as well as two rescues) and a purebred dog - you should hear the flak I cop sometimes :laugh:

Jokes aside, there's more than enough scientific (health-related) evidence to seriously question the practice of routine desexing, especially in large breed dogs. Of course I'm against backyard breeding and accidental pregnancies, however I'm also against mindless desexing. I think every case needs careful consideration of the possible benefits and risks.