Demodex In 14 Week Old Puppy

GenY

Hello folks :-)

This is my first post on the forum, but I felt I needed to post.

I have a 14 week old German Shepherd X Beligan Shepherd (sorry he's not purebred!). I noticed when we first got him (9 weeks old), that the hair around his eyes was a little thinner than it should be, but figured it was just a puppy thing. At his first vet visit, a few days after we got him, I didn't mention it as I had no concerns at the time. When we went back to the vet this week, I mentioned that his eyes weep a little more than seems normal - not gunky, just a little bit weepy and they seem just a bit irritated. Upon inspection of the eyes, she could see nothing wrong other than some slight irritation, which she put down to the Demodex she then found around his eyes, for which she prescribed a monthly dose of Advocate (he was on Heartgard + Advantage).

My question is this: How long does it take for localised Demodex to clear up when using Advocate? Is it normal for the eyes to be affected (he doesn't appear to be scratching the eyes), and will the Advocate kill any mites in his eyelashes/eyes if there are in fact some in there? I feel terrible for the poor little love and would love for him to get better ASAP.

The poor thing also has a bacterial infection on his chest/stomach area (little pustules that rupture and turn into superficial, pussy sores), which I was advised to treat with twice weekly Malaseb washes. The Malaseb I have expired in 2012 (which I only just discovered) - will it still be effective, or should I grab a new bottle? Also, is two washes per week adequate? Will it fix the infection or should I get cream as well?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry to be asking so much in my first post.

Regards,

GenY

Welcome GenY, congrats on your new puppy :)

I'm no expert so hopefully others more knowledgeable will respond.

Re the bacterial infection, I'd suggest yes, get a new bottle of Malaseb, you want the active ingredients at full strength when you're treating an active infection I'd think. I suppose it depends on how big the infection is but if the vet has said twice weekly it probably is enough, although I know of plenty of dogs with skin infections having Malaseb baths every second day so I imagine three baths per week wouldn't hurt and might be more effective at getting things under control.

Re. the Demodex, I've generally only been involved in treating it with daily ivermectin but that may well have been with more severe cases (shelter dogs). Interested to hear what others say about the Advocate treatment but if Advocate does kill mites quickly for the month period it should be effective fairly fast.

As I said, I'm not that experienced with it though so see what others say!

Edited by Simply Grand

Ok I'll get my mitts on some new Malaseb just in case ????

Strangles has me worried now. Will keep a close eye on him now. The vet did a scrape, yes, and showed me the mites under the microscope. He's quite active and doesn't seem lethargic at all.. also not off his food. But will definitely keep an eye on him.

Thanks so much for the responses.

Hi Gen, one thing you should know is that all dogs go through a healing crisis as the mites die (often called die-off effect). It’s inevitable no matter what you use to kill them. Mite Avenge is the most effective natural mite killer you can buy and it’s also the only mite treatment that’s honest enough to tell you that there’s more to curing Demodex than just killing the mites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Gen, one thing you should know is that all dogs go through a healing crisis as the mites die (often called die-off effect). It’s inevitable no matter what you use to kill them. Mite Avenge is the most effective natural mite killer you can buy and it’s also the only mite treatment that’s honest enough to tell you that there’s more to curing Demodex than just killing the mites.

Hello Ryan,

I see you have mentioned Mite Avenge here in your post. I live in Brisbane, Queensland and am struggling to find anyone, anywhere who sells it or who can ship it to Australia. Do you mind me asking where you have bought it from or do you know where and from whom I could buy it from.

Thank you Ryan

Simonette Miethke

Hello Ryan,

I see you have mentioned Mite Avenge here in your post. I live in Brisbane, Queensland and am struggling to find anyone, anywhere who sells it or who can ship it to Australia. Do you mind me asking where you have bought it from or do you know where and from whom I could buy it from.

Thank you Ryan

Simonette Miethke

...with these ingredients

quote from here: Citronella, Clary Sage, Clove, Eucalyptus, Helichrysum, Karanja Seed, Lemon, Lavender, Neem, Peppermint, Rosemary, Styrax Benzoin & Vitamin E oils, Kelp, Polysorbate 20, Purified Water, Dihydrogen Dioxide and Tender Loving Care it definitely should work :)...and 'dihydrogen dioxide'...?... just use the usual expression 'hydrogen peroxide' ...but then they call it 'all natural product'...

I think selamectin (Revolution) is pretty effective against mites...