Dobes & Natural Short Tail

persephone

LOL, I doubt if there will be any stats on that, however, I do know that in my breed you do see a huge variation in the tail length - albeit not as short as a traditionally docked tail. There were quite a few puppies that I did not dock or only took a very little off, when we were allowed to, because the tail was quite a bit shorter than the norm.

The undocked Dobes I have seen have a very long thin tail so there would not be any genetic reason apart from a "fortuitous" mutation in a LabxDobe. I think someone is probably telling porky pies!!!!

About no chance!

Occasionally I saw a natural bob in odd crosses. One was a multi mutt cross, the other a Boxer ridge. His was definitely natural.

They do turn up in crosses you would be surprised at BUT it's exceedingly rare for two long tails to produce a dock.

I remember years ago a Rotti owner was told her pup was a natural bob. In about 5 seconds I found a scar and it was a blunt square tail not a tapering bone as you find in a natural bob

Edited by OSoSwift

I have never seen or heard of a Dobe born with a natural Bob tail.

Interesting done a bit of quick reading and it appears the odd bob turns up as do kinked tails - seemingly mainly in the US.

I haven't hear of one in Australia and considering my mnay years and hours reading and researching I hadn't come across it so I would say the chances of it occuring in Australia are extremely slim.

However in the name of more effective research I will ask those in the know :)

I wish I could get a NBT Dobe :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Sheridan openly discussed it well before it became illegal to dock and I have no reason not to believe her, she had nothing to gain by discussing it. Shame she's no longer around to confirm

I have read lots of what she and many others have written and don't remember seeing it but will go and check through my stuff again.

I suppose it would be possible to get an odd one with what would in effect be spina bifida. The spaniel that I saw (in NZ) had no movement in it's tail, just a 'blob' - a bit like a Manx cat tail

I suppose it would be possible to get an odd one with what would in effect be spina bifida. The spaniel that I saw (in NZ) had no movement in it's tail, just a 'blob' - a bit like a Manx cat tail

No idea about bob tail genetics in dogs but do know about Manx cats. I also thought that bob tail would be a genetic defect of the natural spine of a dog so why would anyone want to breed genetically defected dogs :confused:

Manx cats have so many problems due to their lack of tails.

LOL

the answer to my query about the dobe's breeding , and some explanation of bobtail ...?

They were born like that u idiot !! GET A LIFE

I like when kiddies get upset ;)

Aw. I so wish I'd had a chance to read it in all its glory. I so love reading literate, well reasoned and logically constructed arguments. :laugh:

Edited by Stressmagnet