New Puppy, Older Cat

RedFeather

In about 5 weeks we will be welcoming a puppy into our home! It is my first time owning a dog, hubs had dogs growing up, but I don't think he did much of the 'puppy' side of things - I think that was mostly handled by his mum.

My biggest concern at the moment is our older fur baby, my 7 year old cat. She's a shy beastie and I'm really worried about how she'll respond.

The current plan is crate training in the dining room, where there are tiles. So there'll be a crate and a play pen in there. It's adjacent to the kitchen where the cat currently gets fed, although I'm thinking of moving her feeding place up onto a bench in the laundry to prevent puppy from eating the cat food once he's released from the play pen. The dining room also joins onto the laundry, where the kitty litter box is.

Should I change her feeding arrangements now? That way it's normal by the time puppy comes? And then just keep on as normal so she has to pass the puppy whenever she wants to eat, and also to get to her litter? Is that the best approach unless the really really doesn't want to go near the invader and refuses to eat and use her litter?

I'm not too worried about dog/cat relations otherwise. I don't think puppy (a finnish lapphund) is going to hurt her when he's little, and Astrid (the cat) is old enough to know she's the boss (well, she's the boss and me and hubs lol). I'm pretty sure that so long as she doesn't just retreat behind the couch and stay there indefinitely, a few swipes to the nose and the dog will know where he stands. I'm just so anxious she's going to hate us for getting this puppy, and never speak to us again and stop eating and oh god I'm such an anxious fur mama!

I can only assume that with the vast numbers of dog owners here someone has had a similar experience. Please, help!

Very briefly….

Training - pup on leash, rewarded for calm, lying on mat etc. In my house the cats rule so there is ZERO tolerance for chasing….that said one of my cats thinks he's a dog and he initiates very rough play, tumble and chase games until I am forced to rescue the puppy! He's currently doing laps of the house howling and trying to get the dogs to chase him but they've been told to lie in their beds in the study.

Escape routes - Baby gates are your friend! I have just ordered a couple of new ones that have cat doors in them as well - my cats love to do the flying leap over the gate but as they get older I want to give them another option. Also put a nice tall scratching tower in the living area where the pup will be - you can feed the cat up there (or in another room) and it gives them another alternative.

Litter tray and feeding - your cat MUST feel safe and have free and unfettered access to their litter and feed bowl. You also want to keep your pup away from the litter as apparently it's quite tasty :D

Play - spend plenty of time playing with your existing kitty to reduce the stress and also spend lots of time playing with your puppy so that he's too tired to find the cat interesting.

Photos are a must.

It starts like this…

Bronte%20amp%20Ziggy_zpslnoe6a6s.jpg

Brontë gets her own back…

Bronteuml%20and%20Ziggy_zpspgrpkzav.jpg

Foster kittens…

DSC00423.jpg

Foster failure…

DSC01894.jpg

ZiggyandDizzy.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hi, congratulations on your new family member! I've been through this many times with my cats, often with even scarier large adult rescue/foster dogs. I can only comment on my experience, but I've found it best to have a complete sanctuary for the cat at least for a while, especially if she's not used to dogs at all. I put all the food/water/litter in a safe place for the cat e.g. a spare room, where she can eat and toilet without feeling stressed. The last thing your want is a cat that decides not to use her litter anymore, or not drink enough, because she doesn't want to go near the new puppy!

Our cats are usually curious after staying well away for 24hrs or so, they will come and sniff around and take a look. I make sure they have places to retreat to e.g. high scratching poles etc and I never let the new pup/dog hassle or chase the cats. With a pup it should be much easier but with adult dogs I always have them on the lead. Allow the cat to approach in her own time (sometimes takes a long time) and don't force her. I have treats/toys ready to distract and reward the dogs for ignoring the cats and I usually make introductions when the dog is a bit tired. A neutral response is always my goal but friends is even better! Good luck, I think you will be fine and she might turn out to be super confident around the pup. I would still just aim to make it as stress-free as possible for Astrid :)

Thanks everyone! We have a spare room we can have as a puppy no-go zone. We had looked into baby gates for at least one of our doorways and it sounds like the way to go, although I'm not sure our cat is smart enough just to leap over one...she has the ability for sure, just maybe not the intelligence! She's small though, so maybe we can find one she can squeeze through

Thanks everyone! We have a spare room we can have as a puppy no-go zone. We had looked into baby gates for at least one of our doorways and it sounds like the way to go, although I'm not sure our cat is smart enough just to leap over one...she has the ability for sure, just maybe not the intelligence! She's small though, so maybe we can find one she can squeeze through

you can get baby gates with a little cat door down the bottom. I've seen them on places like deals direct.

Our cats are not smart enough to jump over baby gates... We actually use the baby gates to keep the cats out of the dog area. Don't be surprised if there is a lot of hissing from your cat. She may even have a go at the new pup. As long as they are warning swipes only (claws in) this is an important way for the cat to set boundaries. Our cats (3 years old and 13 years old) carried on like the world was ending when our puppy came home, but now they are good friends.

And yes, cat poo is a delicious chocolate treat so make sure the dog can't harass the cat while she does her business. We use a low piece if cardboard across the laundry doorway but our dog is tiny. You may be better off with one of those baby gates wit inbuilt cat door.

The important thing to remember is that it takes TIME for animals of different species to understand eachother's body language.