Our Throw Away Society

Kirislin

Every time hard rubbish comes around I'm amazed, and kinda saddened at what people just throw away. There will be no such thing as antiques from this current day and age because they're either not made to last or just aren't kept anyway because people want something newer.

Often I cannot help myself, and today was one of those days. I picked up this little set of drawers, hand made I suspect by a hobby carpenter perhaps. It was once a labour of love.

16399671766_801294f088_c.jpg5F6A7448dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Look at the dove tails.

15803158544_dae13d3580_c.jpg5F6A7449dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

I've got a pretty new water bowl for any thirsty animals passing by or birds with a death wish. :laugh:

16239397049_4a1fcee7aa_c.jpg5F6A7435dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

I got a really deep wheel barrow and the bowl is undamaged, just a bit of dirt on it.

16423872671_eddbab413d_c.jpg5F6A7436dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

an old box that looks alot better since I've cleaned it up. I might try selling it on ebay. :laugh:

15805591243_2fb56e7107_c.jpg5F6A7437dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

and here's stuff I didn't want but was amazed at what gets chucked away. Sure, no one will want a comode, but there were 4 perfectly good wheelie walkers and lot's of other still usable stuff

15805642743_d0229a5d16_c.jpg5F6A7434dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

all good, just unwanted :(

16238278760_f389ec2587_c.jpg5F6A7431dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

nice old wooden ladder back there.

16425674175_2a8b5f0a49_c.jpg5F6A7428dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

15805634473_2b62879e11_c.jpg5F6A7427dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

the name on the kennel was Jemma :cry:

16423913551_b80cc9f5b9_c.jpg5F6A7425dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Piles and piles of the stuff

16399692516_a069a12cf4_c.jpg5F6A7424dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

16424734192_ef465c40db_c.jpg5F6A7422dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

That showerchair/wheelies would be good for some poor oldie living in a room somewhere ...I would have given my left ^!^ for any of them when Mum was so ill .... we used a plastic chair & drilled holes in it

TV units ....

OMG.

You did very well with your haul!! :)

there was so much more, street after street. I also missed out on a lovely bench chair with wrought iron ends. I saw it as I was taking the dogs for a walk and intended to get it when I dropped the dogs off home, but by the time I got back it was gone. I'm glad really, I love seeing people scrounging through and taking things to give them another life, and if they make money by selling them, well good on 'em! :thumbsup:

There were so many kids bikes, and barbeques, I cant believe those things wear out so fast, that in itself is criminal. They should be made to last, and to be able to be repaired. I saw an old 1930 dresser that would be worth a bit to the right person. I hope someone rescues it. There was a container filled with little farm animals. They were all clean and perfect, just not wanted anymore. When I was a kid they were the only things I wanted to play with. I still have mine. :o Ugh! and the TVs computers and beds! So many, I have to admit, even I put 2 TVs out this time. They no longer work and aren't worth repairing as they're analog. I still hate chucking them out though.

Edited by Kirislin

in the Yarra Valley and unfortunately the big truck comes around loads it up and crushes it. It's such a waste. I scrounged this chair yesterday. I painted it with decking oil today and I love it!

16414869746_4ed3268c98_b.jpgDPP_0002_t by kirislin, on Flickr

I saw an antique oak round table with the leaf insert so it can seat more people around it. So sad to see it out there knowing it will be crushed. I didn't have the strength or the room in my car to take it. I'm really hoping someone did.

O..M..G :eek: I love council pick ups! or hard rubbish as you call them. Half my house is from rummaging through the council pick ups, I have a gorgeous old trunk that has an address inside the lid from the UK, I love it. An old school desk that my computer sits on and a life bouy that are quite expensive to buy, too many treasures to list here. We don't have them here on the Peninsula :cry: so no bargains to be had. You'd be amazed the stuff I've shoved in the back of the Getz back home.

a lady told me today she saw a sideboard over in Yarra Glen with stained glass windows in it. I hope someone rescued it. Yes Hazy, I've got quite a few things in my house from scrounging the hard rubbish piles. I love doing it but I'm horrified at the terrible waste.

Edited by Kirislin

I think it's criminal the way we don't value things anymore. It's too easy to chuck things out and get a new one ....

It's complex though isn't it, peoples needs and lives change. I've no problem with people putting out 'good things' to be taken - it's more generous of spirit than putting a dollar value to scrounge the last bit of benefit from it.

Everything about the tip and recycling industry seems rotten to the core. In the Dandenongs (and all eastern suburbs I think) hard rubbish belongs to the council and the Contractor as soon as it is put out. So it is illegal to scrounge from it, and a hefty fine. Why - because it's not compressed and buried, it is sorted by the Contractors and on-sold at their choice - whether up-market antiques or the shop at the tip (which is also very profitable for them). I'm not saying corrupt, but I think borderline - if someone wasn't making a fortune out of all this, why so illegal for the public to touch it? I know people do, everywhere, but also they can be charged with theft and fined heavily so it's a major deterrent: and the ones who pick up the most are the professional tip-ratters, not just a member of the public who appreciates the chance to pick up a lovely piece of furniture they wouldn't have otherwise.

It all makes me so angry - that's why I said complex - Ranga it is unspeakable to dump garbage on bush tracks, but it happens a lot because tip fees are also unspeakable. The choice to dump rubbish is made by the more dreggy members of society, low income, low education, maybe low intelligence or just plain thuggishness, whatever. Not making excuses for them, but tip fees encourage people to making bad decisions, they certainly don't reward the ecologically aware or the socially responsible public.

Around here people don't wait for hard rubbish days (if there are any, not sure) just leave items out at random, usually with a free sign to make it clear. I'm eyeing off some doors 30k down the road that might suit chook pens, just need to motivate myself to hitch up the trailer. Kirislin you have done great giving a new lifetime to good quality things - and yes the fruit boxes always move on gumtree etc, very collectable.

Edit to add: they are knockout photographs, terrific record. Do you still do camera club: that would be the basis for a theme.

Edited by PossumCorner

I grabbed a little hanging bird bath and found the perfect branch to hang it off on my shady tree, the one I've put my "new" old chair under. Now on the hottest days the tiny birdies will have a safe place to get a drink and a bath. thanks for the kind words about the photos Poss. I just snapped them from my car as I drove around. I havne't been to the camera club for several years. only went to about 4 meetings. I keep meaning to go back.

The truck came this morning to pick up on my road, I could hear the crushing and shattering of glass and wood as it went around. gathering and destroying. :(