Should I Be Worried?

Olivebaby

Hi all, so up until 2 days ago I had a very healthy little 15 week old lab pup. She had her wormer and final vaccination on Monday morning. Monday night she had diarrhoea all night. About 4-5. Yesterday she had one or two and I put her on brown rice and boiled chicken. I spoke to the vet and they said just to sit on it for a bit. Last night same thing again. 4-5 accidents in her crate (she normally sleeps right through without any accidents)

She's acting completely normal. Still energetic and certainly no loss of appetite.

She has just had one small chunky vomit and then started playing again straight away.

I haven't noticed any blood or worms in her stool and I haven't changed her diet (except now to give her bland food)

I know humans get bouts of gastro/ diarrhoea and there is usually no reason to worry but should I be worried about little Clover? She just seems so normal so it's hard to tell.

I know the worry with pups is they can dehydrate really quickly, but if she still seems perky, then I guess It's not super urgent. However, 2 days of diarrhoea is a bit of a worry.

My boy had Giardia at a similar age - it needed a high dose of drontal to treat. Some things just won't go away by themselves.

Worming and vaccs in one hit can give them the runs... if she's otherwise happy and eating/drinking fine, just feed boiled chicken and rice for a few days, then wean back onto her regular food.

Some of the wormers out there can be a little hard on the tummy...

T.

I would think it would be the wormer with vaccine that has caused the problem. Best do it about a week apart in future.

If she is not ill I guess its just the combination that was too much for her system. I doubt its food poisoning/gastro.

Bland diet & she should be ok in a day or so. If not back to vets.

I think you all must be right. It seems too much of a coincidence. Can't believe the vet would have done that though if it could cause problems. Poor poor little girl. She was already a slight little girl now she just looks so skinny :(

My vet has always said do not vaccinate and worm on the same day, do worming a week before or the week after but never together.

I would be giving her a pro biotic, I use Fauldings brand, helps to put a good flora back into the tummy.

I think you all must be right. It seems too much of a coincidence. Can't believe the vet would have done that though if it could cause problems. Poor poor little girl. She was already a slight little girl now she just looks so skinny :(

Heaps of vets do, and shelters. Mostly it doesn't cause a problem but sometimes it does, it's one of those things.

Good on you for being on top of it :) dog weights, particularly puppies can go up and down so quickly, it's scary, but as long as she's bright, happy, hydrated and eating she should recover well.

There are just so many things to think about with these little furry creatures, isn't there!

If you can get your hands on some slippery elm powder (readily available at most health food shops), it's magical for settling upset stomachs - in people too :)

Any sign of diarrhea, and we add slippery elm to their food, which helps to clear it up fast :)

If you can get your hands on some slippery elm powder (readily available at most health food shops), it's magical for settling upset stomachs - in people too :)

Any sign of diarrhea, and we add slippery elm to their food, which helps to clear it up fast :)

Thanks for the advice. Little clover is on the mend today. No diarrhoea last night at all. She has had 2 bile vomits but that's probably because she has nothing left in her tummy. She is still her cheeky curious little self so hopefully a few more days on the chicken and rice and she should be back to normal.

I know the worry with pups is they can dehydrate really quickly, but if she still seems perky, then I guess It's not super urgent. However, 2 days of diarrhoea is a bit of a worry.

My boy had Giardia at a similar age - it needed a high dose of drontal to treat. Some things just won't go away by themselves.

I was thinking that Giardia too, my lab also had it around that age. The fascination of bird poop was just too much for a hungry lab pup.

Although the wormers and injections may have overwhelmed its poor little system (which I have also been through) Keep up the bland diet for a few days don't let it go too far if it doesn't come good.

Im a fan of the slippery elm too but not sure of the dose for a young pup.. its great for soothing the system and calming everything down.

Good Luck!

PS. would love to see a picture of the baby lab :D