Nylabones For Ridgeback Puppy

MAZNAT

Counting down the days till our new pup arrives and wanting to get him some chew bones/toys.

Because he is a bigger dog, which size Nylabones will be safe/best for him given his weight will more than likely exceed the recommendations of the 'puppy' size.

Thanks in advance.

Our Katie never liked nylabones ever. Mind, she also did not know she was a Ridgeback but rather a giant Vizsla.

Accodringly, we used bones etc after she was 6 months old.

Whilst a puppy, we used a Kong daily. It was stuffed with heaps of different foods to entertain her.

He will certainly be getting plenty of variety, including meaty bones, but just thought for his teething needs, the Nylabones would be a good device whilst he's alone in his crate or in his play area when we're not home.

Having used Nylabones in the past it's not something on my shopping list anymore. They're either too soft such that pup bites off chunks (bad) or too hard such that they're boring. I'd rather feed frozen chicken wings, stuffed Kong or even a big carrot to chomp on. For entertainment value nothing beats an old cereal box filled with dry food :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

So the general consensus is No Nylabones for teething... :)

This is my first puppy... :confused:

Thank you.

Let me say how very lucky your puppy is. So great you are asking questions to make sure everything can work OK for your new puppy.

He is going to be such fun when he does arrive home. Teething is a bit of a trying time so you are right on the mark to work out what to let him have.

You can also look at the 'tougher' types of toys that are known to be longer-lasting . Having a blonde moment & can't think of names.

:D

So the general consensus is No Nylabones for teething... :)

This is my first puppy... :confused:

Thank you.

If you want something for his teething, then I would go frozen turkey necks..chop the larger ones in half before you freeze them. That gives him something nutritious to chew on & the cold will sooth his gums :) You can freeze them all flat on a tray (not touching each other) then pack them away in the freezer.

Feeling the love folks. Thank you so much.

He won't choke on the turkey necks will he? Is it safe to leave him unattended with these?

So glad I'm never having children, imagine what I would be like then!?! :laugh:

Edited by MAZNAT

Depends on the size of pup and whether they gulp or chew! I will freeze a couple of chicken wings together which make for excellent chomping. Turkey is great but not always easy to find at our shops and some pups do really stinky farts :eek: :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I tried a few of the nylon bones with flavours and Ronin just didn't take to them at all. I wasted around $40 on them :(

Frozen carrots are good for teething pups as are the necks mentioned above. They can also be a great tool for "drop' and "on your mat" training. I use an old towel inside and use beef neck mainly these days and started the beef neck from around 6-7 months I think. Ronin never budges from his mat (towel) when chewing them. If it gets knocked around to the floor - a simple "on your mat" and he will pick it up and put back on the mat to chew.

This training and treat has been a real sanity saver for us, especially during the 'Witching hour' with a teenage husky :D - it calms him before arousal and insanity starts, and the extended chewing is exhausting for him.

Frozen salmon heads however are definitely and outdoor chew :eek:

Another thing that I found really excellent when teething is bully sticks. They used to last the best part of a day when he was small, but sadly they only last 3 - 5 minutes these days :D When they are young, you can take away the bully stick when they have finished the chew session, rinse it off and freeze it ready for the next session and you get the added bonus of it being cool.

My latest puppy, 8 month old greyhound is very chewy and found an old nylabone that I have had for around 10 years. She loved it until she lost it somewhere. Only pup/dog that did like it. I'm buying her a new one to keep her happy. Can't give her frozen bones etc in the house with the other dogs. They all get bones outside but in the house Phoebe can have her chosen chewtoy, no one else wants it :D

• 1 month later...

There is now a huge range of Nylabones including new puppy only types and they certainly can be included with other toys, treats and bones. See if you can find a good store with lots of choice and go for mouth appropriate sizes. Not every dog copes with bones and not every pup needs the extra calories from lots of chew treats or bones. It will be easier once you have your pup and can try a few different things.

Another suggestion is deer antlers, as they are long lasting and very satisfying. Don't be afraid to take it away after a good chew as some dogs won't stop. Next to no calories or fat and lots of entertainment.

Sags

:)