First We Had Pet Shops Now We Have Dog Traders

sheena

Did my post get removed that I put in about the scum that are advertising to buy all your litters...I would have thought it would have made interesting conversation :(

A quick search shows that it seems they are advertising all over the country.

Edited by sheena

No topics expressing dismay at the latest dogs you saw in a pet shop or advertised in the paper or another web site.

Discussing it here will not make any difference to the ad or pet shop being in existence. Selling dogs in a petshop is still legal (as is advertising on web sites/ newspapers). If you believe there is a welfare issue, report the business to the appropriate authorities.

Posting only promotes them.

Fair enough...I also thought it might name & shame :) going by the posts on Facebook at the moment. The scum is advertising all over Australia.

I was grateful for the post, it drew my attention to the existence of such scum...................I am not on FB, etc and would not have known about them otherwise

For those who missed it ...without mentioning any names...it was about a guy from Byron Bay who is advertising in a lot of newspapers around Australia, wanting to buy ALL your puppies..even without microchips or vacs. RSPCA reckon they can do nothing about it, but surely they could get him for buying puppies that are not microchipped. He is reselling them...what happens to the pups he cannot sell :confused:

For those who missed it ...without mentioning any names...it was about a guy from Byron Bay who is advertising in a lot of newspapers around Australia, wanting to buy ALL your puppies..even without microchips or vacs. RSPCA reckon they can do nothing about it, but surely they could get him for buying puppies that are not microchipped. He is reselling them...what happens to the pups he cannot sell :confused:

Here in Vic RSPCA wouldn't be able to do anything about it as the microchipping law is enforced by DEPI or councils (I forget which). So it would depend on who is responsible for the appropriate law in the state, and it gets tricky when crossing borders (if the pups are already gone). But that is crap. I had no idea it was happening, but I guess he's a puppy broker who is openly advertising.

Nobody has the time to chase them. And if he is buying unchipped pets it's the previous owner who gets in trouble for not chipping. Under 8wks doesn't count either.

Re-sellers approach rescue as well. They look for pets with a price they can make a good profit on. Mostly purebreds or fluffies. People complain about adoption fees but too cheap and you get vultures.

One woman in Sydney was well known for it around rescue.

Nobody has the time to chase them. And if he is buying unchipped pets it's the previous owner who gets in trouble for not chipping. Under 8wks doesn't count either.

Re-sellers approach rescue as well. They look for pets with a price they can make a good profit on. Mostly purebreds or fluffies. People complain about adoption fees but too cheap and you get vultures.

One woman in Sydney was well known for it around rescue.

Yes it is cute little fluffie crosses that he has on his web page. Are these puppy/kitten traders taking the place of Pet Shops for selling animals :confused:

Dog dealers have been around for a VERY long time. There's even breeders that bulk out their 'output' by purchasing gumtree litters and tacking on papers.

I don't know what the surprise is pet stores have been doing this for donkeys years.