I Love Greyhounds

Yonjuro

As the title says, I really love greyhounds :)

Rewind 12 months and I thought they had no value as pets. My ignorance led me to believe that these dogs were bred to be aggressive, untrustworthy, chase down animals and needed to be muzzled at all times. I would see unmuzzled ones at my local dog park and I didn't know about green collars at that time. Even muzzled ones would cause me concern as my dog was only 6 months old at that time. My daughter who was 6 at that time would often be with me so again I was always concerned.

Shortly after this time I met one, and had a nice chat to the owner, then I met two, then three and then more and more. I can say now that they are favourite breed apart from my own love of huskies. In fact I prefer his play with greys more than his play with other huskies :) I have seen many incidents at the fenced in off lead park over the last 12 or so months, but never have I seen any issues resulting from or involving a grey.

I have however experienced the trauma of my best bud Tigger having is stomach ripped open by a pair of beagles :mad ... but anyway he is fine now and this is not what this post is about.

So, anyway here are a few pics of my good buddy Tigger - the goofy clown prince of the park :D Tigger was from GAP WA and is not owned by me, but I see him so often that he feels like family and I love him to bits :)

IMG_4478_zpsb99af01c.jpg

IMG_4475_zpse95986a0.jpg

IMG_4705_zps3cbdfd6a.jpg

photo3_zps5bf446dd.jpg

20141127_110300_zpsdbc65be5.jpeg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything could change people's minds (and educate them),Yonjuro, it would be your pix of Ronin and Tigger playing.

ETA: That little Spitz in the third photo looks a bit like my Danny :heart:

Thanks DDD, but I am not sure if the general public would completely understand their general rough play :laugh: At some point I will try and compile a vid of the gentle times - but with these clowns they are pretty rare :laugh: The little Shiba Inu is funny, I don't see many but I do enjoy their character.

I have put on Facebook the same stuff from this original post but mine is not public so dunno how it works if it is shared or get out in the public arena. If is does there will no doubt be trolls, but I am big and ugly enough for that :D

PS. This is not intended to be another Ronin Tigger thread, but just to inject a bit positivity into what has been a pretty hard time for many people of late.

Edited by Yonjuro

I too love Greyhounds!

My partner and housemate can't see the appeal but they really are lovely.

That and I love the stories about Stan.

News.com.au actually did a good news story about greyhounds and the comments have been particularly uplifting among all the doom and gloom about the racing industry.

I love the greyhounds too, my SIL has a couple that she adopted after racing, one of them is her new couch buddy and the other lets my niece paint her toenails!! Lovely, sweet, friendly dogs. We're still careful about puppies around them but it's more a precaution than anything.

I have friends who really really dislike them, for ridiculous reasons such as "they can't even sit properly" and they "don't have brains" and "they aren't even like a real dog" (one of the oldest dog breeds...? Really?). But I think the one greyhound they had experience with was one that wasn't house trained & was a bit neurotic eek1.gif

I've been looking after my SIL's greyhounds and I love their pointy little noses snuffling at me when I've got their food laugh.gif and their silly yips of excitement. So cute and goofy.

I also love greys and joke about kidnapping my friend's rescue grey all the time :) I have met Tigger and he is sooooo lovely. I had no idea he was the grey who had been attacked by beagles! I'd heard about it but no specifics.

I also love greys and joke about kidnapping my friend's rescue grey all the time :) I have met Tigger and he is sooooo lovely. I had no idea he was the grey who had been attacked by beagles! I'd heard about it but no specifics.

I met Tigger while he was still recovering from the incident. It is a testament to the breed that despite this horrific mauling he showed no emotional scarring afterwards and not even to other beagles.

Did Tigger do his schmoozing habit of walking between your legs?? :D

Yeah when I saw him most recently he had no issues with two beagles who came to the park.

Tigger was busy running laps with about 5 other dogs when I was there so I only got pats when he took a break to lie down in the sandpit :laugh:

Yeah when I saw him most recently he had no issues with two beagles who came to the park.

Tigger was busy running laps with about 5 other dogs when I was there so I only got pats when he took a break to lie down in the sandpit :laugh:

:thumbsup: :laugh:

I follow a farm sanctuary in Tasmania (Brightside Farm Sanctuary) on FB. They also rescue dogs and a lot of greyhounds. The woman who runs the sanctuary has been doing a few promotional activies in the past week to counter balance all the negative publicity.

A couple of days ago, she posted photographs of one of her greys with a sweet little piglet.

It just occurred to me while I was typing this and thinking about Brightside's photographs, that Greyhounds must be the breed with the most variety in colours of coats: pure white to pitch black and every colour and every combination in between.

I adore Greyhounds too. Always have. They are a very misunderstood breed I find. I have heard some pretty strange comments from uneducated folks. I do think alot also has to do with the fact that some have to be muzzled. Muzzles tend to freak some people out. Some random comments I have over heard just make me shake my head in disbelief. "Greys are predators & they will kill ALL small animals". "I wouldn't trust them around my kids" etc etc

I will make a bee line to pat one (after asking the owner) whenever I am out anywhere. They always have such cruisey temps I find. Really lay back. And really funny... Stan is a real classic for instance. Not that I think there is another Stan LOL. We have 2 at our local beach. Jimmy a gorgeous big black fella & Blue a lovely blue slightly built boy. Jimmy is muzzled & my girl loves him as he is quite reserved so she can just give him kisses but Blue has a green collar. Both my BC'S love to chase Blue around & he loves to run & boy can he cover some ground. My guys haven't got a hope in hell of catching him but my god they have fun trying ????

Thanks BCC :D Stan is certainly one of a kind :laugh:

Thank you Yonjuro for starting a lovely thread with positive stories from others about my breed that I adore :thumbsup:

Thanks Hazy, I really wanted to start this for people like yourself who do so much for this magnificent breed :) My hope was that people would share their stories and pics and keep this completely separate from what is going on in the news room :)

I think it is pretty safe to say that without the wonderful work done by some rescues I wouldn't have a little place in mine and Ronin's heart filled with greyhound love :)

We were out with our greyhound and great dane at a café yesterday. The amount of people that came over to say hello, and then commented on the fact that they'd heard greyhounds make great pets astounded me. It seems there has been a push from greyhound people/bodies to get the word around about what good pets they make. I was pleased to introduce Harry to them all, and got a few comments about his Greenhound collar, so was able to tell people about it.

Maybe all this horrible stuff is helping highlight the joys of these gorgeous dogs. :thumbsup: