Overweight Cav

Carita

I just don't understand why my male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is gaining weight.

I have 2 Cavs who eat the same yet it is only the male that gains weight.

They share a chicken thigh fillet if theyre large or each have a small one.

They each get a dog biscuit in the morning , about 1Tblsn mince after feeding the birds and a chicken neck.

Could it possibly be hormones fed to the chickens that is causing this?

Different dogs have different energy needs. Just feed him less and he should maintain his weight :)

My male dog was heavier than my female (by more than 10 kgs) but she needed to eat a third more food to maintain condition, or double the amount when she was my running companion.

Thank you for those sweet words. I have been so worried.

He's de-sexed & only 21/2 yrs old. He's been checked by the vet & has great health

I've cut his servings back a little so I guess we will just have to increase the exercise

"There are NO hormones fed to any chickens in Australia"

As others have said every dog is different. Just like us we all have different metabolism's. I have 2 BC'S & they are both desexed. There is no way I could feed them the same. My girl would eat till she exploded if I allowed her to. I feed her approx. half what my boy has. She is such a good doer. OH always says Stella could run on the smell of a good stew LOL.

My boy on the other hand only has to look at food to gain weight.

It is trial & error with diet. Firstly what diet works best for each dog. Then how much. Both of which can be alittle tricky to balance ☺

Edited by BC Crazy

My male Cav is fed exactly the same amount of food as my female Cav yet he will become overweight if I don't watch carefully whereas my girl has never been overweight. Different metabolism.

They're both desexed elderly dogs and can't tolerate as much exercise as they were used to when they were younger.

Thanks cavNrott. I guess its the differences in metabolism that is the issue here with my boy.

The 7yr old female doesn't like to walk too far so it's just around the block twice a day .

She has a heart murmur so I cant over work her.

Luckily my boy loves to chase a ball so I'll have to increase this play for him

No, there's already power games on at the moment. If he gets special treatment she wont be happy.

Already he's just a PITA brother.

Cut his food by a third .. and yes, more trick training /ball chasing :) Can you not walk him by himself ?

No, there's already power games on at the moment. If he gets special treatment she wont be happy.

Already he's just a PITA brother.

Cut his food by a third .. and yes, more trick training /ball chasing :) Can you not walk him by himself ?

hmmmm..

Ultimately , what is best for EACH dog is your responsibility .

Your boy needs his walks, he needs to be out & about and doing young dog stuff - while it seems your girl needs a quieter lifestyle .

It is unfair to the younger dog to spend life as an invalid , IMO. ....

Depending on the stage of heart murmur - she may well be able to build up to a longer walk ... what does the vet say ?

Other than that - if she were mine , she would learn to stay home with a treat/big bone/kong full of yummies while the boy gets his walks .

OR , she would be safely strapped into one of of THESE ... and have an outing !!

Oh .. and people with cute cavs HAVE to post photos for us to awww over ;)

In regards to walking you may have to adopt a "relay walking" take both out for a short walk, drop your girl back nd continue on with your boy. Or go to an empty off leash park so they can both cruise at their own leisure :)

How cool is that set of wheels.. much more stylish then the babies pram that I push now for " just in case".

I feel he's getting almost enough exercise now for the average dog.

He's plump, but not obese and I don't want him to get that way. That's why I wondered if it could be the chicken.

I guess I was looking for excuses outside the square.

Photo's , I wish !!

I'm just a klutz at up and downloads

Thanks Denali, my boy looks like your Deneki

Edited by Carita