Tell Me About The Weird Ways You Train!

Better Late

I just got home from uni and after peeling the dog off me (I've never seen her so excited for me to come home!) I was quite warm so I decided to practice her sit-stays and down-stays while I completely disrobed in the kitchen :laugh:

Does anyone else like to combine two birds with one stone and train in really weird ways? Or am I just the odd one out?

All the time :thumbsup:

I play impulse control games with my lot when I'm preparing food. Lots of treats get "accidentally" dropped on the floor. If the dogs back off without being told to - I feed them with the treat. If they rush in to grab, I cover it with my foot and then pick it up and they get nothing. A few weeks ago Mr TSD dropped a whole block of Parmesan and I've never seen 2 dogs reverse faster out of the kitchen :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I don't see anything weird about that...

I do crack the neighbours up - going around my back yard after my dog repeating "shitnapiss, shitnapiss" and then being all happy excited praise - when she finally goes.

There's a whole bunch of training things I do with my dog that they'd be too embarrassed to do with theirs, but theirs is the one that gets blamed for all the barking in our area... I'd be embarrassed to yell at my dog the way they do. Not even when she digs up the dead mouse that the ants have been cleaning up... She never wanted it before the ants had it... only now it's smelly. Sigh.

The only way I could train a solid stack with my youngest male Samoyed was to blow air on his face. It's the weirdest thing but he loves it and shows like a star :laugh:

Ha! That's so cuuuute!

I will also admit to singing Moves Like Jagger (quietly) to one of my other boys to make him animate when he was going through the bratty teen phase....the things I do to get my dogs to show well :rofl:

Because I drilled it into her as a puppy to be respectful of personal space I've been finding it hard to get Didi's fronts nice and tight on the recall. But I've worked out if I stand at the end of our long and very narrow hallway with her in a stay at the other end and then call her that the momentum she gets from barreling down the hallway causes her to slide along the floor boards when she goes to stop in front of me and overshoot the space she'd normally keep between us and ends up smooshed right up to me.

Because I drilled it into her as a puppy to be respectful of personal space I've been finding it hard to get Didi's fronts nice and tight on the recall. But I've worked out if I stand at the end of our long and very narrow hallway with her in a stay at the other end and then call her that the momentum she gets from barreling down the hallway causes her to slide along the floor boards when she goes to stop in front of me and overshoot the space she'd normally keep between us and ends up smooshed right up to me.

*Off topic*

I improved Novas fronts by miles by teaching him to target anything I ask (for fronts I use a DVD case cause that's about the right side for his feet). Then when I had that 100%, I could throw it anywhere he'd go find and pounch on it with both feet. I placed the target just under my toes, tried a recall and it clicked with him to finish with his feet on the target right in front.

We are heaps better with fronts now, but I still bring the target back in every now and then to make sure he doesn't forget.

I want Didi smooshed up to me!!!

Careful what you wish for, she's very smelly at the moment!

*Off topic*

I improved Novas fronts by miles by teaching him to target anything I ask (for fronts I use a DVD case cause that's about the right side for his feet). Then when I had that 100%, I could throw it anywhere he'd go find and pounch on it with both feet. I placed the target just under my toes, tried a recall and it clicked with him to finish with his feet on the target right in front.

We are heaps better with fronts now, but I still bring the target back in every now and then to make sure he doesn't forget.

Thanks for that Lisa! I'd watched a video for teaching front position using the targetting which is what I'm doing for teaching the actual command/position, the hallway was mainly to get her more willing to get that close to me and to not slow down on the recall (although I think I will regret that as she has a few times jumped on me in a flying leap which is painful!)At least there's less hesitation now.

I taught her to target with her front feet for rear end awareness exercises using dog encyclopedias but now she will stand on any book left on the floor and wait expectantly for a treat.

I did a weekend with Kelly Gill a while back, & the way she taught this, was to lean your bottom on the back of a solid chair....one that is not going to slip away behind you :laugh: so that your legs are extended out front, then bring the dog up between your legs & lure him up high along your body. Click & jackpot treat when he is in position..repeat a few times gradually standing yourself more upright as you have success. Does that make sense ??

Well the sight hounds do not come when called so it get attention I flip my finger in a come here motion with a slight clap!

Omg the motion gets attention and the slight sound helps snap the attention. It works to get the worst one out of the back of his kennel without having to grab a piece of dog and dragg it merciless forward.

Not sure how it will work in a the longer term, but it will help when stalking in close quarters.