Old Dogs

nelsona

My german shepherd is 12 and half year old.

His head is grey in parts and he can't hear anymore.

He is a cancer survivor, has stiff hind legs (degenerative myelopathy) but still walks.

He walks very slowly, in fact we stop and walk, stop and walk. He dictates the pace;

however he loves his walks, sniffing around and looking at other dogs.

Whenever wherever I walk with him he is the centre of attention due to his.... age.

I keep hearing: "what an old dog", parents point him to their children again due to his age.

This morning a man walking his dog said as if disgusted: "He is sooo old, is he all right?"

Sometimes (not often) I hear "What a beautiful oldie"

I almost feel like I am not supposed to walk such an "old dog" or perhaps he has no right to live anymore(?)

I love my dog dearly and want him to have a good quality of life.

My question is : "how do people on this forum react to seeing an old dog?

Many thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an old man when I was younger who everyday at the same time, would very slowly walk his old, blind dog (I think it was a spaniel of some sort) down past our house. The man used a cane and I could hear him tapping along. It was always quite poignant seeing them together, and I was actually very sad the day he walked past our house alone :(

I have no issue with people out with their old dogs. Unless the dog is really struggling and the owner is just dragging it along, most of the oldies seem to enjoy still being an 'active' part of the family.

When I was a kid, I used to walk our old kelpie cross with quite bad arthritis down to the end of our street and back. Yes it may not have been a pretty picture for someone watching as she was wobbly (she was on Rimadyl at the time), but she really enjoyed those walks and spent the first half telling all the dogs in the neighbourhood what she was doing.

I say who cares what anyone thinks about your dog. You love him, he sounds like he enjoys his outings, this should be all that matters.

There was an old man when I was younger who everyday at the same time, would very slowly walk his old, blind dog (I think it was a spaniel of some sort) down past our house. The man used a cane and I could hear him tapping along. It was always quite poignant seeing them together, and I was actually very sad the day he walked past our house alone :(

I have no issue with people out with their old dogs. Unless the dog is really struggling and the owner is just dragging it along, most of the oldies seem to enjoy still being an 'active' part of the family.

When I was a kid, I used to walk our old kelpie cross with quite bad arthritis down to the end of our street and back. Yes it may not have been a pretty picture for someone watching as she was wobbly (she was on Rimadyl at the time), but she really enjoyed those walks and spent the first half telling all the dogs in the neighbourhood what she was doing.

I say who cares what anyone thinks about your dog. You love him, he sounds like he enjoys his outings, this should be all that matters.

^^^^ This. When I walk the three westies Mac goes in his Macmobile as he has no hope of keeping up with the other two. He then gets out at the park and sniffs and potters around and has a lovely time. Then he snores his way home in the Macmobile again. Typical old man - and people get a surprise when they see its an old dog and not a baby in the stroller. I use it as an opportunity to talk about rescue dogs and old dogs. Could you make a point of responding to any comments with a 'Thanks... yes he's a healthy old dog who loves a walk... he's just a bit slow these days' etc etc? Might just enlighten some people that old dogs can have great quality of life and are not necessarily sick. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

We had the RSPCA called on us once because when my last dog was extremely ill with IBD, he had lost a staggering amount of weight. He loved his short walks though. Someone saw him, thought we were starving him. RSPCA quickly went away when they were shown the evidence of multi week vet visits.

When he survived that and lived another 5 years and started getting old and frail with some nerve issues we then had people comment "why don't you just put him down and get a new one?" This whole time he had his pain managed (he had DM which thankfully is pain free in the early stages), was happy and relatively healthy. But he was old amd greying and moved stifly.

Quickly learnt to ignore people like that and relish in the true dog lover who would comment on how good he looked for his age, and what a handsome lab he was, and of course his gentle nature.

I love seeing old dogs out and about, it doesn't matter if they go slow, so long as they are obviously enjoying themselves! I've seen a few old dogs at my local fenced off-leash area romping around, it's really lovely to see :)

I remember as a young teen walking our old blind (had no eyes at all - they were removed) basset hound. She was quite adept and walking and navigating steps and bumps in the pavement as she used her long hanging ears as a guide. However some people still felt the need to comment negatively, though I mostly encountered positive people which was nice.

I literally said to my dad yesterday when we saw a grey old black kelpie x walking down the street towards us, 'what a beautiful old dog, he must really appreciate still being taken out for a gentle meander' and the gentleman walking him ( who hears as we were about to pass him) smiled at us. But he did look like a dear sweet old man who was enjoying his slow walk in the sunshine :)

Stuff what people think, you know he enjoys it and he's ok

I have three Labradors. My oldie has a lot of white, she's going on 11. My other two are 5 yr and 1.5 yr old. The old girl is a little shy. The other two are friendly to a fault. VIsitors always seem to want to pet the old girl . . . and escape from the other two.

I'm convinced that real dog lovers have a special place in their hearts for the oldies . . . because they've had them too. As for people who aren't real dog lovers, who cares what they think. They haven't been there.

Edited by sandgrubber

I love the oldies.

I had the pleasure of meeting a gorgeous 12 yr old great dane on my morning walk with my 3 a couple of weeks ago.

She was so happy to be out of the house, had a bit of a romp and then her owner took her for the slow walk back. But i truly believe treating an old dog like any other (to a degree) and letting them go walking is what keeps them young at heart :)

I will nearly always comment if I see an oldie out and about or even at the vet because I've been there myself and I think they are wonderful. I do remember being at a doggy event and seeing an old lab in one of those carts you usually pull behind a bike. I was so excited to see him out and about in public like that because why wouldn't he want a bit of an outing even if his legs didn't work so well? But his owner was telling me that people used to say awful stuff to her about if he couldn't walk on his own he should be put to sleep.

People who say stuff like that have obviously never owned an oldie whose will to live and still make the most of life was hindered by a tired elderly body.

Guest Clover

5213691923_80a00c4072_z.jpg

clover3 by clover_elvis, on Flickr

Nope oldies should be left home by themselves ;).

I like to see oldies out and about. I don't like seeing them being dragged along behind their owners who want a running partner still & I see it often :(.

When I walk home I often meet up with an elderly gent walking "Devil", a 16 yr old small terrier cross. Yes it takes me ages to walk this small section of his street but I think it takes him longer because the locals all stop or a chat. It's a ritual for both of them and they both love it.

My oldie is only 12 but she still looks young. Only I can tell that she walks a lot slower due to her arthritis but I'll take her out, even in a pram for as long as I can. One advantage about getting older myself is that I really don't care what other people think and if anyone ever said anything inappropriate about my dogs when they get older I would be very blunt back to them and tell them to mind their own business.

I rescue a constant parade of oldies and take the opportunity to educate everyone that an old dog still has plenty to offer.

Sure, not a jogging partner but most of us have to work and I find it brings me inner peace to know that my home isn't being ripped apart, the neighbours disturbed by constant barking or garden dug up whilst I'm at work .... :) Been there, done that!

I lost my 2 oldies in 2013 and now have 3 young dogs under 5 years. I miss my oldies so I always stop and make a fuss of ones I see. The park I walk in there are a few who made it to 17 or 18 and still enjoy/ed their daily walk even if it was only a short one.

I currently have 2 old Labrador girls, one 15 and one 13. I don't really care what other people think about then as I know they are happy, healthy and well loved.

It always makes me happy to see people out and about with old dogs :)

I love oldies! I have only admiration for them.

I haven't yet been lucky enough to have a dog live to old age, but I feel quietly confident about my current girl making it :)

There is one tiny Chihuahua dog I see, who seems very ancient, and blind but always makes the effort to stand up from her spot on the porch and tell us to move on, she makes me smile.

Don't get upset by what people say. I have a very noticeable dog and we get comments all the time. Some of them are nice comments, and the rest we just ignore :) Afterall, I don't have my dog for the pleasure of other people, but because I love her, she's my mate and that's all that really matters.

Most dogs seem to come "alive" when they see their leads come out, my old girl slept all day but would get up and come to find me about 5pm everyday for her walk and the distance varied on depending on how she was coping that particular day. Thankfully most people commented positively on her age and many asked where she was after she was PTS saying she always looked liked she enjoyed her walks.

Casper was 13 years and 3 days old when he passed away and you would not have known it. Apart from needing a wheelcart to walk in because of his advanced DM, I still had to walk fast to keep up with him. He tired faster so we would take a break half way through our walk and rest on the grass at the park so he could watch all the other dogs run around him. Bella was 11 and would have made a grand old dame had cancer not taken her from me.

I love watching the oldies going for their walks. They'd rather walk in pain than not get out of the house at all. I also admire their owners for their patience and total love. I miss my oldies.

I take my 13.5 year old Border Collie for a walk 3 times a week, she can't manage too far, but she does so love being out and about and sniffing :) It takes us forever to walk around the block as she has to stop for rests, she has bad arthritis and cruciate problems. I often have people ask me how old she is and smile when I tell them, I have never had a bad comment and if I did I would ignore it. Three weeks ago she was diagnosed with bladder cancer, she doesn't have long, but she is happy and loved, that's all that matters to me and bugger anyone else.

Senior dogs are the best! :) And most people are kind about them.

Unfortunately you will get comments. Some find imperfection and old age seriously unattractive but they don't know how special our old folks are. Ignore the ignorant who will never know the love of a sweet old soul. :heart: