Help! Border Kennel Issue

02Dogs

We recently put our dogs into kennels with STRICT instructions to keep them separate at all times due to fighting. Anyway, we found out they had another fight at the kennels resulting in a big vet bill. Apparently one broke into a secure area the other one was in.

How is this possible????

We spent a fortune on the kennel because we thought it was the best way to keep them safe, and this happened. I'm completely gutted :-(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope the kennel paid the bill if your instructions were written down and explained !

:( if dogs can break into other areas, that kennel needs some better fencing, I think.

We've been told we have to pay the bill

I hope the kennel paid the bill if your instructions were written down and explained !

:( if dogs can break into other areas, that kennel needs some better fencing, I think.

I would be arguing that.

Thats just not on.

No way. I'd get legal advice.

Did you sign a release /waiver form when you booked the dogs into the kennel? Was there written clause/instruction outlining your dogs specific boarding requirements? Were the STRICT instructions documented, if yes, who wrote them, and who signed them?

As much as I would be furious, and wanting/demanding explanation and vet costs covered, you may have signed away your rights.

I would be seeking legal advice asap.

Edited by GrufLife

I'd like to see photos of where the dogs broke through their pen...

yes.

02Dogs - are the dogs so hard to contain at home ? :(

I'll definitely be having a look at how they got to each other and take pictures when we pick them up.

We have crates, dog enclosures and block their view from each other so we've been able to successfully keep them apart. I told the kennel a number of times to not let them near or see each other.

From what I can gather they were able to see each other when this happened.

I feel sick about the whole thing :-'(

Did you sign a release /waiver form when you booked the dogs into the kennel? Was there written clause/instruction outlining your dogs specific boarding requirements?

As much as I would be furious, and wanting/demanding explanation and vet costs covered, you may have signed away your rights.

I would be seeking legal advice asap.

I'm sure they have some clause about nothing being their fault but I'll doubt check.

I just hope another incident doesn't happen before we pick them up

If you haven't picked them up yet then you can be legitimately communicating with them re the dogs in their care. I would be emailing them to ask that the please ensure the dogs do not have line of sight with each other (as specified when you first dropped them off) to be sure that nothing else goes wrong. Do everything via email if you can from now on so you have a paper trail (of sorts).

Gawd - this is horrible. I hope the business pays for their mistake.

All I can suggest - is next time the dogs go to different boarding kennels...

I know when I boarded mine at RSPCA - that they did not follow my instructions about her tummy rash and when I picked her up - it was bright red. And their excuse was they never saw her licking or chewing.

She's not stupid - she does that when there are no humans around (or awake) eg 4:30am is when I have to stop her.

I also gave them one spare dinner - just in case - and they fed that to her thinking she'd missed out on one. Which is a mistake I can understand - she was pretty happy about getting two dinners...

I always inspect kennels before using them, the kennels looked secure to me. It sounds like it happened while moving them around.

I'm floored this has happened. I was very straight forward (and repetitive) about the absolute need to keep them separate.

So devastated, we were just about to look at tactics to re-introducing them with a trainer but this is just another nail in the coffin.

Apparently my 21kg dog rammed open the gate, which I'm told '1000s of other dogs walk by without problems', to get to my other dog. I don't buy it for a moment but my HB paid the bill :mad

At least I have my girls back. Definitely won't be using that kennel again.

Edit: I can't attach a photo of the gate atm (size is too big) but it was a colourbond gate. I'll attached it when I can a chance.

Edited by 02Dogs