Dew Claw Advice Please

rafiki

Ernie has them on his front paws. One occasionally gives him trouble but I realised he's the first dog I've owned where they've been there. The only thing I have to watch is clipping them regularly, as his othe claws seem to trim themselves as he's got the patio to wear them down. I don't think that I'd be fussed if a dog still had them unless I knew the dog would be doing something that might cause injury such as agility or other dog sports. (Ernie at agility? Immense LOLs). You just have to keep an eye on them when you are doing regular grooming.

strangely enough, both my dogs came with only one of their front paws with a dew claw. (that is, not on both legs)

i keep forgetting to ask the breeder about it.

is having only one dew claw something that comes up genetically or is she removing only one of the claws?

if the latter, why?

1426888124[/url]' post='6666385']

strangely enough, both my dogs came with only one of their front paws with a dew claw. (that is, not on both legs)

i keep forgetting to ask the breeder about it.

is having only one dew claw something that comes up genetically or is she removing only one of the claws?

if the latter, why?

How old were your dogs when you got them? And if they were babies, did you notice right away, or once they got a bit older? It is not that uncommon for them to grow back after " removal" if the procedure isn't done effectively.

gruf,

one dog was 9 weeks. i didnt really look at the dewclaws until we clipped him at 12 weeks, when the groomer noticed and told me.

the other dog was two years old when we had him come to live with us.

they have the same father.

gruf,

one dog was 9 weeks. i didnt really look at the dewclaws until we clipped him at 12 weeks, when the groomer noticed and told me.

the other dog was two years old when we had him come to live with us.

they have the same father.

I guess it is possible that it's congenital, although I have never herd of it. My guess would be that although removal was attempted, it wasn't done properly, and the nails re formed. That is quite common. Ask your breeder about inheritance though, could be interesting!

Can be confusing...

The ANKC Australian Shepherd Standard states that the back leg dew claws should be removed.... however it also states that tail "if docked should be no longer than 4 inches".... what the...!

Guess the ANKC just has the american standard showing for this breed... and the ANKC has not bothered to update the standards to ensure there is no reference to docking whatsoever... If anything the Aussie Shep standard should state : "no docking allowed and tails of ALL lengths are accepted".

so hence no idea how the standard applies as part of the dew claws.

Ernie has them on his front paws. One occasionally gives him trouble but I realised he's the first dog I've owned where they've been there. The only thing I have to watch is clipping them regularly, as his othe claws seem to trim themselves as he's got the patio to wear them down. I don't think that I'd be fussed if a dog still had them unless I knew the dog would be doing something that might cause injury such as agility or other dog sports. (Ernie at agility? Immense LOLs). You just have to keep an eye on them when you are doing regular grooming.

Actually, it is quite the opposite for agility :) A dog with front dew claws has much better traction when turning corners and is far less likely to slip than a dog without them. I have seen some serious shoulder injuries occur with fast dogs that are lacking front dew claws. When the dog goes to push off their is nothing to grip the grass and the whole front let slips out from under them. Very important to keep them short however (as with all their nails). Obviously if they are causing constant grief I would remove them but preference for a performance or working dog is to have them. Back dew claws are a whole other story and we will remove any from pups at a few days of age. They tend to stick out more though.

My Aussie still has hers, my Anatolians rear ones were removed when he was castrated. I didn't request it the shelter just did it. They left his front ones.

In general I agree with gruf, as long as they're kept short I see no reason to remove them unless the dog has had ongoing issues with them of course.

My dog - I don't think she ever had her rear dew claws. I got her when she was 10 weeks old - she still had a wound from the desex op but there was no wounds where the rear dew claws might have been.

But she uses her front dew claws all the time - a bit like thumbs to get a grip on things. They're very strong and quite painful if it's you she grabs.

My dog also users her front dew claws all the time, I would see it as cutting off my thumb, to take them from her. She holds her bones, toys, even kongs with them. From my perspective they are as essential to her, as my thumbs are to me. Would I find a way of living without a thumb, yes, but not as quality a life, or not as easily as I do. Dogs have body parts for a reason, unless there are sound medical grounds for removing them, then I believe they should be left. My dog does not have rear dew claws and no marks from where they could have been.

I meet the people who own the below site.

http://countryoforiginvizslas.com/

The above youtube is on their site.

Makes for interesting reading, imo.

I love that video and have posted it myself on occasion. However, ice retrieves aren't a big issue in Australia. I am generally against removing front dewclaws, and repulsed by the idea that it should be done for cosmetic reasons (clean lines). But some people have had real problems with torn dewclaws, and I can respect the decision to have them removed.

• 1 month later...

My Aussie still has hers, my Anatolians rear ones were removed when he was castrated. I didn't request it the shelter just did it. They left his front ones.

In general I agree with gruf, as long as they're kept short I see no reason to remove them unless the dog has had ongoing issues with them of course.

Is an Anatolians rear dew claws connected fully, with bone and ligament? If it wasn't a rescue that did it they are normally kept on aren't they?

Most of our rescued dogs are tiny to small, and almost every second one has had rear dew claws hanging on by thin skin, I always have them removed. They are a tangle hazard and also hide scarily well under fluffy hair.

We did have a rotty through once with double rear dew claws that flapped around when he walked :laugh: so they were removed.

Not many docked silkies/yorkies are around anymore but all of them have had front dew claws removed as well.

My main problem with front dew claws in the littlies is they don't seem get enough use to wear them down so you have to trim the nail regularly. Haven't had any caught or torn here yet but some dogs come in with that tiny nail curled all the way around and deep into the pad. :(