Pointers- Question And Others Experiences

Cosmolo

I am quite partial to Pointers and they seem to be the only large breed (pedigree) dog that fits what we would like in a dog. But, having trained and had experience with a few (not many as they're not that common) i have noticed what seems to be a similar trait across all of them (adult and puppy alike) and it's my only reservation about the breed IF it is indeed common. Obviously my sample size is limited hence why i thought it might be of benefit to ask here.

I notice that the ones i have encountered seem to have a lower than average drive for food- right the way through to being positively fussy and refusing to eat normally.

Has anyone else noticed this? All the Pointers i have seen have been different ages, raised differently etc, a few i have seen at training, in their home environment AND in a different home environment- same behaviour in all circumstances.

All experiences welcome.

Edited by Cosmolo

I am quite partial to Pointers and they seem to be the only large breed (pedigree) dog that fits what we would like in a dog. But, having trained and had experience with a few (not many as they're not that common) i have noticed what seems to be a similar trait across all of them (adult and puppy alike) and it's my only reservation about the breed IF it is indeed common. Obviously my sample size is limited hence why i thought it might be of benefit to ask here.

I notice that the ones i have encountered seem to have a lower than average drive for food- right the way through to being positively fussy and refusing to eat normally.

Has anyone else noticed this? All the Pointers i have seen have been different ages, raised differently etc, a few i have seen at training, in their home environment AND in a different home environment- same behaviour in all circumstances.

All experiences welcome.

Know a pointer breeder who would agree with you, takes a skilled trainer to find other motivation, friend has done a great job with theirs

Our german shorthaired variety will do anything for food, closely followed by toys so we can take out pick with what to motivate him with. He even knows the sound of certain things being taken out of the fridge-cheese & yoghurt in particular & will pull out all the tricks in the book to get just a little bit.

Hi, I am the owner of 4 pet pointers and also am heavily involved in Pointer Rescue. You are right that some of them can have a low appetite but there are also Pointers who eat like labradors LOL!! Out of my 4 I would say 2 eat like a horse, one has an average appetite and the other one has always been a fussy boy. Most of the rescue pointers that have come into rescue all eat well ( most are very underweight and grateful for the food) with a small number of exceptions who either run off the calories they take in or don't eat enough in the first instance. So to answer your question, in my experience, most will eat just fine but there is a small percentage that don't have good appetite. Fantastic breed of dog providing you can give them what they need. Biggest drawer back in my experience is the re call LOL!!! If you get a Pointer I suggest you put in lots and lots of training on the re call !! PS The more sensitive pointer may refuse treats if stressed...eg storm coming, vet visit, that type of thing.

Edited by 4darlingdogs

Can't comment on the food drive but I have to say that Pointers are largely undiscovered gems as larger breed family dogs and deserve to be better known. :)

Totally agree! :thumbsup: I can't believe they aren't better known for being a fabulous family dog. I adore them, and hope to own another when we get more room. B&W female like my old girl :heart:

eta Hi Pointer Rescue! :wave: Maxwell Smart is doing well. We hoped to rehome another boy but his foster carer took about 5 minutes to decide he was staying. lol

edit again! No Cosmolo, I've not seen one who didn't like their food except for nerves, but have definitely seen selective deafness. :laugh:

Edited by Powerlegs

Can't comment on the food drive but I have to say that Pointers are largely undiscovered gems as larger breed family dogs and deserve to be better known. :)

Totally agree! :thumbsup: I can't believe they aren't better known for being a fabulous family dog. I adore them, and hope to own another when we get more room. B&W female like my old girl :heart:

eta Hi Pointer Rescue! :wave: Maxwell Smart is doing well. We hoped to rehome another boy but his foster carer took about 5 minutes to decide he was staying. lol

edit again! No Cosmolo, I've not seen one who didn't like their food except for nerves, but have definitely seen selective deafness. :laugh:

Hi Powerlegs, :wave: glad to hear Maxwell is doing great and it doesn't suprise me it took all of 5 mins for your foster to adopt LOL!!!!

There's a beautiful GSP who does agility at my club and her owners also train her in the Gundog competitions. She is absolutely gorgeous and a food motivated dog.

I find GSPs (and indeed all utility gun dogs) a lot more full on than Pointers.

There's a beautiful GSP who does agility at my club and her owners also train her in the Gundog competitions. She is absolutely gorgeous and a food motivated dog.

I find GSPs (and indeed all utility gun dogs) a lot more full on than Pointers.

I was about to say the exact same thing! GSPs (wire or smooth) are a completely different breed to Pointers when it comes to working temperament. Around the house they may be similar but GSPs would be more similar to a Viszla (in my experience) than they would a pointer :)

All experiences welcome.

Had a giggle. GSPs I have known are food hounds. English Pointers that I know tend to care less BUT I have never heard either of the owners say they were fussy regarding food. One of these Pointers was an US import and would near bowl me over when in quarantine to 'get' the treats. The others are OZ breed with the routinue of food down for 15 minutes. No eat within that time frame no food. If I was to make a comparison, they are nothing like SWFs were food is concerned...imo. :D

Edited by VizslaMomma