Separation Anxiety

pirate

Apparently Bob has really bad separation anxiety whenever l go out he starts to scream, he has always been a screamer. But over the last few months it is getting worse. If l go out and leave my partner Neville at home he screams, he doesn't scream whenever Neville goes out. I will start taking him to day care see if he screams there. He sleeps in a crate goes to bed at about 11 PM. He wakes between 4 and 5 o'clock in the morning to go outside, then he races down to the crawls into bed if he doesn't get his way he screams. I have never had a screamer before, he is causing a few problems because Neville has his own health issues to deal with.????

Bob has liver shunt that requires major surgery, l think he also has some brain damage, he is on medication for the shunt.

There is lots you can do for separation anxiety.

I had a foster dog with it - she chewed through dog wire (the solid stuff) on a gate to get out..

I found going out and then coming back in a minute and then extending it longer and longer helped.

I also used a tight t-shirt on her and gave her big bones or kongs with frozen food inside (to amuse her while I was out).

She got better but it took time and she would still panic sometimes and try to get out (but couldn't as I had a pretty dog proof yard)..

There is always medication as well to help with it - but you would need to discuss that with your vet..

I hope you get it sorted - it can't be nice for you, the dog or the neighbours.

Karen Overall relaxation protocol on Google is helpful. I can now put my boy in a stay, get in the car and drive down the drive. He is on Prozac for aggression issues but it's actually had a bigger effect on his separation anxiety. I believe confining to a crate when you go is helpful too.

We just rescued a dog with separation anxiety - he was barking and also weeing all over the house. He was very stressed and hard to manage, I've never heard my foster carer in such a state.

Anyhow, my vet put him on Prozac and 10 days down the track, he is a much happier dog! Barking and weeing has stopped.

I've worked with SA before, with various foster dogs, it just depends how severe it is as to whether or not meds are required, sometimes it's just about changing our behaviour because what we've been doing has induced anxiety in the dog.

I'm not sure that's the case for you but definitely read up about it on the internet in detail and chat to your vet.