Cavalier King Charles Spaniel With Small Animals?

batmanforever

I think a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is the right breed for me, but I have a question. Would they be able to live peacefully and mix with small animals, namely rabbits and guinea pigs. I have been getting mixed responses from websites, and would really appreciate your input.

I think if you bring it up with the other animals it should be okay. I used to breed guinea pigs and my Cavs were fine with them. One guinea pig had bubs and didn't initially care for them. One of my Cavs licked them dry and warmed them until their mum took to them. I wouldn't trust all to be like that though :laugh:

If you are getting a puppy, it should be no trouble getting him/her used to your pets after a lot of careful supervision. Just let the dog learn to treat your other animals with respect and give them space - they should know that they are not toys to chew. :) I would never trust my two girls with any small animal alone though - they like chasing and playing and may accidentally harm the little piggies or rabbits. They don't have the highest prey drive, but even with a good dog never leave them alone together anyways.

I believe you can't expect them to get along,you can train your puppy & hope it works but you need to be prepared that there is no guarantee any breed will suit what you want .

Our first dog lived with our Guinea pigs ,she was one in a million ,most of our others i wouldn't trust nor would i expect them to get on .different animals with different personalities .

All ours have gotten on with our small animals (birds, cats and a bunny) BUT they are never left together unsupervised and we keep cats and bunny's claws trimmed to help avoid any injuries if something should go wrong. One of our not so nice cats lashed out at Miah when she was younger because Miah wanted to play with her (and the said cat wasn't in a good mood that day) and it almost cost Miah her eye frown.gif

But generally they all are well behaved with each other. They know to avoid the not so nice cat (our other cat is more laid back).The bunny has nipped me a could times but never the Cavs!

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I think a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is the right breed for me, but I have a question. Would they be able to live peacefully and mix with small animals, namely rabbits and guinea pigs. I have been getting mixed responses from websites, and would really appreciate your input.

I think your question could probably apply to a lot of dogs - there are different personalities within a particular breed - some laid back and some prey driven.

I've had 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in the past and all were keen on catching mice and chasing birds - but having said that I got them all as adults. I'm sure if you get a puppy it could be trained to get along fine with smaller animals - just use common sense and don't leave them together unsupervised (same as you wouldn't leave a child and dog alone together).

As far as temperament goes, it's hard to go past a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They're fabulous.

Edited by divinemissmillie

Thank you all very much!

My Aunty had a beautiful CKCS, with the gorgeous Duchess Thumb print, called Sarah. ( She was a true Lady :heart:)

She used to spend a lot of time with us and was able to ignore birds outside of their cages, within the house. She grasped that guinea pigs & their pens were not for her to check.

Her breeder told us that all others in her lines were fine so long as they were trained.

I am sure if you ask your breeder you can get info too.....

and if/when you get a CKCS, we can have photos!!!

:flower: