Re Homing Puppy - Sa

Sooky

Hi I. Not sure if this is allowed so hopefully someone can let me know. I am looking to re home my puppy but don't want to use places like Gumtree or Trading Post am I allowed to advertise him on here?

Will the person from whom you bought it take it back? you can't advertise it on here ... of course you can advertise on gumtree - just be sure pup is chipped/desexed, and that you check out potential buyers!! Is there any alternative to rehoming? Can we help you to keep it? if the pup has problems which make living with it really hard - please do NOT rehome , and pass them on to new owners , OK ?

He has no issues he's a gorgeous boy very chilled but still a naughty puppy at times :). Didn't want to go into reasons but I will, we have a 2 year old vizsla who is the best dog ever and we knew we always wanted a second dog so towards the end of last year we were told about these pups and decided to go for it. A few weeks later my husband got a job offer in qld (we're in SA) it was too good to turn down as we are desperately trying to save for our own place. Anyway he's away for 4 weeks at a time (home for 1) and he was the one that walked them, they now never get out the back garden as I find it too hard to walk them with two little ones in tow plus with four kids in all I never have a minute plus we have horses which take up so much of my time and I'm not allowed to take the dogs to the stables and when I do get a spare few mins its to collapse on the sofa! It's easier with our older dog cause she's so well behaved on and off lead I can take her out with me a lot easier.

He's not desexed as I personally wouldn't have done that until he was over a year so that's another reason Gumtree wouldn't be a choice for me!

Thanks for the replies anyway I'll have to have a think about what to do I'm not in a rush but the sooner the better if only for him!

Yep, definitely talk to his breeder and see if she can help, if not taking him back herself she may know someone who would be interested. She may have names of people who missed out on a puppy at the time you got him. She bred him so she should take some responsibility for what happens to him now.

Otherwise yes, a breed rescue could be a good option.

I'm not sure what RSPCA/pounds are like in your area with rehoming rates (anyone know?) but puppies with no issues are pretty adoptable. It depends how old you mean by puppy though, med-large breed adolescents are generally not quickly adopted.

Your puppy must be around 5 or 6 months old so there is no reason not to desex him now before he leaves you.

There is nothing wrong with using the free advertising sites at all. Lunatics & odd balls can answer an ad from anywhere, even this site.

Be sure to put a price on your puppy, giveaway does insinuate that the person doesn't care & only wants to be rid of the pet. Word your ad in a caring way that makes your pet seem important, well loved etc. Screen any replies sensibly & ask as many questions as you feel you need to. Asking for a home phone number contact is better than only a mobile.

Last but not least if you find someone you feel is suitable ask if you can do a home visit. Say that you would like to visit with the dog so it is not walking away with a stranger & that you will do a short visit & take the dog home so it is not in a strange place when it leaves. if you like the place & feel happy leaving the dog you can change your mind & leave it.

If you are not happy take the dog home & say whatever.

It how you deal with responses that matters not where you advertise. Good luck. Sounds like you are full on with everything.

Sooky

it seems to me like you really need help training and walking the puppy (or both of them). Do you have any friends that are close enough to help with that? Usually horsey people have a whole tribe of back up people who are willing to help if you just ask - because there's always going to be a time when they will need the favour back...

even if you're moving. It's a kharma thing I guess.

how many months off a suitable age to desex for the puppy?

There might be one of the rescues on pet rescue that could help with advice too. Strategies for rehoming. Eg you sell on gum tree but charge enough to cover the cost of desexing and do that first. ie get the money at the vet, with the dog and arrange for the buyer to pick up from the vet... maybe. Vets can be good places to advertise. They have notice boards. Or places you and your friends hang out (I guess with babies and horses - that might be a bit limited).

Do what Christina says and do a homecheck aswell, people lie to get dog, so don't just trust what they say. Get it desexed, that will weed out alot of people looking to make a quick buck breeding then dumping it.

And sorry to sound harsh, but i would rehome the other dog too, stuck in a yard allday never getting walked is not much fun for a 2 year old visla.

I saw recently a quote from a guy who is into dog fighting, stating that he gets his wife to dress up all fancy and pretend that the dog will be going to a good home, only to be taken for fights -- please, please be sure he is going to a legitimate, loving home.

It sounds as though you have made your mind up, however bear in mind that your pup will become easier to handle as he matures. Is getting some one on one training on walking the two dogs together an option?

You also have to take into consideration that the pup will be company for your older dog right now while you are busy. If you are never around, is it really fair on your older dog to be completely alone? Especially if he is now used to having another dog there.