Dog Pen Vs Free Range Puppy

MAZNAT

What is the general consensus for creating a puppy safe area, as opposed to letting him have access to the entire back yard. (Yep, it's my first dog)

I guess we want to avoid him becoming a digger and destroyer of the garden/plants/outdoor furniture etc, but also understand he needs to get to learn good and not so good behaviour. I just want to make sure we give him the best opportunity to create good habits but also want him to be content in his new world. Then there is the dilemma of a changing environment and confusing him. I'm confused....

Thank you kindly.

I would have a localised area until this gorgeous Ridgeback is grown up. :)

I think your idea of a puppy safe idea is a wonderful start to his new life with you.

As for being content???? I suspect he is going to THRIVE!!! You are going so well with the prepartions, MAZNAT.

:D

I am fortunate in that I work from home a fair bit so my youngsters are rarely left for longer than 4 hours. So I mix it up as needed when I need to leave them alone - indoor pen/indoor crate in general and they have adult dogs plus cats for company. If I had to be at work 8 hours plus I'd probably adapt one of the yards - puppy proof it - and leave plenty of things to do...clam shell with sand (another for water in Summer), frozen food toys, dry food scattered, cardboard boxes, variety of toys that change daily, appropriate training and exercise before and after being left alone...I prefer my pups not to practice "bad" habits so I give them stuff to do.

Thanks Spotted Devil. Great advice. I feel like my world at the moment is consumed with thoughts of being the best puppy mum possible -- lucky I don't plan on having children, I'd be a mess. ????

I have a puppy pen set up in my house and my pup spends most of her time when she's not with me, in that area. At night she sleeps in her crate.

I would personally never want to raise a pup without containment training and management.

I agree my puppy pen is a godsend. She spends her day in it while I am at work and I know she is safe and not up to mischief. She does get a little more free range at times now when I am home but she still gets put in her pen when she needs a break. At night she is in a crate in my room out of harms way.

Agree huski. IMHO it's good all round for a pup to become accustomed to being confined for periods of time .. as long as it's in an area that is safe and comfy, and has safe enrichment toys. One of my current dogs not only was in a large pen inside while I was at work, but when I was home, she spent quite a bit of time attached to me on a long line, as my acre block is not puppy proof, and the house doors were open for an old dog I had at the time. She has gone on to be at 13 a titled dog in a variety of dog sport, as well as being a loving pet.

IME, it's mainly about the relationship you build with your puppy, and the enriching and interesting life you provide .. down time in a pen is something your pup will need and enjoy.

Just a thought too, while you're doing all this great preparation .. I would highly recommend having a crate for thru pup at night time .. I like having the crate in my bedroom, so that pup is not alone, and I can hear when pup needs to be taken out to toilet .. makes toilet training so much easier.

ETA ... posted at same time as ness :)

Edited by Tassie

It depends whether he is going to be left in the yard unsupervised & what is in your yard that could be a danger to him.

If you are with him & at home & there is nothing toxic or unsafe I think its better for puppy to run, play, exercise, explore & stretch his limbs. You can stop him & teach discipline if he starts digging etc. A puppy safe room inside for periods alone is also better than a crate.

I am not a fan of confinement however it does need to be done in some circumstances. My breed are so tiny as babies they could get their heads stuck under the sofa until about 8 weeks old :laugh: so pens & confinement to safe areas is needed under obvious circumstances.

If your yard is safe why confine. He is a big dog & he may dig & be destructive if you confine & let him loose in a year anyway. Best to supervise & learn now.

Everyone has their own way. Choose which way you are happy with.

all my pups from day one have had the whole backyard available to them. If they dig a hole I just fill it in. Drag their bedding around I just put it back. This has been my life for the last 30 plus years. Only had one dog that pulled clothes off the line and she grew out of it. Never used to have a crate but have used them over the last few years. My latest puppy is 9 months old, she hasn't slept in a crate overnight for months. Usually if my dogs are in the house they are free to go anywhere they like. They choose where to sleep, in the lounge room, on my bed etc. I do have baby gates on my bedrooms. I do put up my shoes etc. My dogs don't bench surf cause I never leave anything out to tempt them. I've raised German Shepherd Dogs and Greyhounds the same way.

all my pups from day one have had the whole backyard available to them. If they dig a hole I just fill it in. Drag their bedding around I just put it back. This has been my life for the last 30 plus years. Only had one dog that pulled clothes off the line and she grew out of it. Never used to have a crate but have used them over the last few years. My latest puppy is 9 months old, she hasn't slept in a crate overnight for months. Usually if my dogs are in the house they are free to go anywhere they like. They choose where to sleep, in the lounge room, on my bed etc. I do have baby gates on my bedrooms. I do put up my shoes etc. My dogs don't bench surf cause I never leave anything out to tempt them. I've raised German Shepherd Dogs and Greyhounds the same way.

We do this too. Never had any drama!

The two dogs are usually napping on the rug they have under the carport when we get home. Works for us!

We do this too. Never had any drama!

The two dogs are usually napping on the rug they have under the carport when we get home. Works for us!

I also have to add, the cat food is on top of the small upright freezer and the dog meat is defrosted on top of the stove, both places the dogs could easily reach and never have. And only once has a dog raided my bin for the left over roast chook. Once in 35 years. He was fed a few slices of bread and peanut butter to make sure nothing happened to his insides with the passing of the cooked chicken bones.

The main reason for penning and crating puppies is safety and not letting them develop bad habits when unsupervised. Additionally confinement training while a puppy has these other advantages:

(a) the dog will not suffer stress from being unused to confinement later if confinement becomes necessary at the vet, boarding kennels or if you have tradesmen in and out who may leave door and gates open,

(b) you have a safe place in which the dog will be happy if you wish to use power tools or potentially dangerous gardening equipment in the yard or house without worrying if someone is going to open the back door and let the dog out into danger,

© you are able to entertain family or guests that are dog phobic,

(d) I have known a number of over-the top, under-the fence, wire-climbing, levitating extreme Houdini foster dogs over the years. It may be coincidence, but no matter how much enrichment and house access was available to them, they were just not comfortable with confinement. In cases where I could ascertain their puppyhood, I found that there had nor been any attempt at penning or crating as a puppy. Obviously missing out on confinement training as a pup will not always lead to Houdinism, but it needs to be considered.

Those owners who are home with their puppies most of the time and who don't use pens or crates but DO use mat training I consider as accustoming the pup to confinement, even if the walls are invisible.

Edited cos ity is bloody frustrating to peck at the keyboard with one hand whi;e the other is in a sling and mistakes get made frown.gif

Edited by RuralPug

I wish someone would tell a couple of my dogs who are well and truly crate trained that it is not stressful to be confined at the vets :D

LOL laugh.gif

It is not the confinement itself that is stressing them, though!! Imagine if they had confinement stress on top of vet stress - which does happen. Ask any vet tech...

I don't confine my puppies or dogs in pens or crates and have never had an issue with digging or other behavioural issues.

The dogs have free range of the house and never destroy anything. Pups also have pretty much free run but nothing is left in their reach, I've had one destructo pup and learnt a lot after him :)

Edited by Dame Aussie