Easter Show Question

mel121

Hi,

Am wanting to visit the royal Easter show to have a look at the different breeds (especially chihuahuas). Are there dogs there everyday to look at or just on the days they are being judged ? I see chihuahuas are being judged tomorrow and was going to go Saturday but want to make sure we will get to admire some when there ! Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by mel121

Hi,

Am wanting to visit the royal Easter show to have a look at the different breeds (especially chihuahuas). Are there dogs there everyday to look at or just on the days they are being judged ? I see chihuahuas are being judged tomorrow and was going to go Saturday but want to make sure we will get to admire some when there ! Thanks :thumbsup:

There are the different groups daily.

http://www.sydneyroyal.com.au/2015_Dog_Catalogue_-_TOY_GROUP.pdf

Breeds are their for their group on a given day. Monday 6th April is General Specials where the dogs come back for Best in Group etc.

Tuesday & Wednesday are Agility. ( going to be exhausted)

Enjoy!!!!

:flower:

forgot....there are Breed Stalls on Tuesday & Wednesday as well. Maybe you could see Chi's then?

Edited by VizslaMomma

When are the Labradors up? I skimmed your attachment but missed the page, I think.

last Sunday 29th March was their day. Bit earlier this year I think.

They should be there Tues/Wed on the Breed Stalls. :)

Edited by VizslaMomma

Ok, so made special trip in yesterday afternoon to see the chihuahuas. Got there at 3.30pm to find that their area was cordoned off from the public and their owners all sitting together with the dogs, away from the barriers, obviously celebrating some winning results . Only problem was that no one could see their dogs !!! What a disappointment !!!! I spoke to two other people who were there showing their different breeds and they agreed that it was a disappointment and that quite a few people had asked why they couldnt see the chihuahuas. I understand chihuahuas can be scared of all the noise etc but is it that hard to maybe put some photos up or pictures etc, or have someone there to explain why the public can't view the Animals ??? I thought it would have been a good chance to have breeders etc talking about their breed to the public ! On the bright side, I got to meet some lovely great Dane owners who wee only too happy to answer questions and show off their beautiful dogs.

Last Sunday it was the Airedales and Frenchies that were away from public view/attention... and the couple of Airedale people that were near to the public accessway weren't all that interested in letting the public see or touch the dogs at all... and I did ask nicely AFTER their competition session was over... *sigh*

Managed to get me some Frenchie smooches when a couple came back from the wee yard... *grin*

Completely off topic, but the highlight of the day for me was in the petting zoo where the baby alpaca decided to nibble up and down my arm/hand ever so gently, and it also smooched my face/chin/nose... heaven on a stick!

T.

Last Sunday it was the Airedales and Frenchies that were away from public view/attention... and the couple of Airedale people that were near to the public accessway weren't all that interested in letting the public see or touch the dogs at all... and I did ask nicely AFTER their competition session was over... *sigh*

T.

I know it is disappointing when this happens. However, until you have attended a Royal Show as a dog exhibitor you cannot understand how little consideration the exhibitors get from a/ the show organisers and b/ from many if not most of the general public. The exhibitors and the dogs get tired and cranky and have demands put on them by many and there is the constant threat of interference with the dogs. I remember one Royal I went to the toy of the show was a thing on a stick that when flicked it unfurled a length of plastic about 2 feet long. We spent all day protecting our dogs from kids flicking these things at the dogs.

The space between the benches and the rails got less and less and the public were able to get to less than a metre from the dogs. There was no space for exhibitors to sit and we were constantly told by organisers to get off the benches, having something to eat or drink with fellow exhibitors is almost an impossibility due to space and

While the Royal is a great opportunity to showcase breeds as it should be the exhibitors too are entitled to some down time and consideration. We pay enough to be there. However, there are always some exhibitors who are a little precious.

I am sorry though T that you did not get any Airedale snuggles or cuddles because they really do give wonderful ones.

Edited by Airedaler

I know it is disappointing when this happens. However, until you have attended a Royal Show as a dog exhibitor you cannot understand how little consideration the exhibitors get from a/ the show organisers and b/ from many if not most of the general public. The exhibitors and the dogs get tired and cranky and have demands put on them by many and there is the constant threat of interference with the dogs. I remember one Royal I went to the toy of the show was a thing on a stick that when flicked it unfurled a length of plastic about 2 feet long. We spent all day protecting our dogs from kids flicking these things at the dogs.

The space between the benches and the rails got less and less and the public were able to get to less than a metre from the dogs. There was no space for exhibitors to sit and we were constantly told by organisers to get off the benches, having something to eat or drink with fellow exhibitors is almost an impossibility due to space and

While the Royal is a great opportunity to showcase breeds as it should be the exhibitors too are entitled to some down time and consideration. We pay enough to be there. However, there are always some exhibitors who are a little precious.

I am sorry though T that you did not get any Airedale snuggles or cuddles because they really do give wonderful ones.

Totally agree, such a stressful day all round, but I always try to remember we are on display to the public just for that day!!!

Sometimes the breeds are benched around the back, away from the public, it's got nothing to do with people not wanting to interact with the public, although at 3.30 in the afternoon on Samoyed day my dogs were asleep in their trolleys and there was no way I was getting them out to be patted by people when they were that tired and I don't really care if the public was disappointed, my dogs comfort and welfare come first.

You need to understand that it's an extremely long day for us and the dogs. People wanting to pat the dogs or talk to us starts at 8am and we're there until 5 in the afternoon. I leave my house at 3am and all day it's talking to the public about the breed (and finding it damn hard to hear anything it's so noisy), grooming (usually multiple dogs), toileting the dogs and making sure they're cool and comfortable (it gets extremely hot in there some days), maybe getting something for ourselves to eat (although I always seem to miss eating the days I'm there) and actually exhibiting our dogs (which takes a long time at the royal). I don't get home until 10pm at night. The royal is exhausting!!

Sure one person wants to pat the dog and yes being told no is disappointing....what about the other hundreds of people who also just want to pat the dog as well that day? Where do we draw the line and say no, sorry, enough is enough, let the dogs rest?

I've said this before and I'll most likely say it a thousand times more. If you want to see the dogs, be there when they're being shown, if you want to have a good chat to a breeder, go to one of the breed specialities that are being held around Sydney during that time.

Please understand that the Royal is extremely hard on us and our dogs and that they need rest and down time as much as any one else.

Sometimes the breeds are benched around the back, away from the public, it's got nothing to do with people not wanting to interact with the public, although at 3.30 in the afternoon on Samoyed day my dogs were asleep in their trolleys and there was no way I was getting them out to be patted by people when they were that tired and I don't really care if the public was disappointed, my dogs comfort and welfare come first.

You need to understand that it's an extremely long day for us and the dogs. People wanting to pat the dogs or talk to us starts at 8am and we're there until 5 in the afternoon. I leave my house at 3am and all day it's talking to the public about the breed (and finding it damn hard to hear anything it's so noisy), grooming (usually multiple dogs), toileting the dogs and making sure they're cool and comfortable (it gets extremely hot in there some days), maybe getting something for ourselves to eat (although I always seem to miss eating the days I'm there) and actually exhibiting our dogs (which takes a long time at the royal). I don't get home until 10pm at night. The royal is exhausting!!

Sure one person wants to pat the dog and yes being told no is disappointing....what about the other hundreds of people who also just want to pat the dog as well that day? Where do we draw the line and say no, sorry, enough is enough, let the dogs rest?

I've said this before and I'll most likely say it a thousand times more. If you want to see the dogs, be there when they're being shown, if you want to have a good chat to a breeder, go to one of the breed specialities that are being held around Sydney during that time.

Please understand that the Royal is extremely hard on us and our dogs and that they need rest and down time as much as any one else.

Good words. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like I didn't miss much regarding the Labradors. Guy Spagnolo's dogs won all over the place.

It's OK about the Airedales... I can cuddle my neighbour's one any time... but it would have been nice to see/pat a really nicely bred one up close...

As for the Labradors... Spagnolo's dogs did seem to have a winning streak, didn't they? I was of the opinion that the judge was favouring the larger dogs overall... and I don't mean just in height. When I started to notice the trend, I was able to pick every dog he would put up from that point on... errr!

Going to the Show again on Sunday... guaranteed to get me plenty of Weimeraner cuddles, as a friend is showing hers... *grin*

T.

Last year at Melbourne Royal, most Whippets were benched away from public access. You don't get a choice, you just get the bench you are allocated.

Perhaps, after a Chi was stolen from Adelaide Royal, those with the smaller breeds are happier away from the public access areas.

If you REALLY want to see a particular breed, the shows at Orchard Hills are probably a better bet and a breed specialty is the best bet of all!!

Ok, so made special trip in yesterday afternoon to see the chihuahuas. Got there at 3.30pm to find that their area was cordoned off from the public and their owners all sitting together with the dogs, away from the barriers, obviously celebrating some winning results .

I stood beside a couple who had driven down from the Central Coast to see the English Setters show. They missed them. Timetable stated judging started at 09:00am. They arrived 09:35 and not a sign of the dogs.

Now even I am not sure what happened.

However, they were thrilled to stay and watch the beautiful Gordon Setters & Irish Setter, then end their visit with watching the Vizslas...... including the dog that decided stopping in mid run to wee made him happier & the poor lass who jumped out of her ballerina flats to sprawl over the ground.

Must also offer a GREAT round of applause to K9 Soft Crates. Our dogs snored & farted in great comfort in their Competition2 crates after finishing. :thumbsup:

ps.... I tried to get a British bulldog in my bag but his balls stuck out dso I had no chance. I enjoyed his slobber kisses though. :)

Edited by VizslaMomma

Must also offer a GREAT round of applause to K9 Soft Crates. Our dogs snored & farted in great comfort in their Competition2 crates after finishing. :thumbsup:

Team K9+ says Thank you VM :thanks:

Sounds like you and the dogs had a wonderful time. Farting and snoring is a definitely sig of comfort :rofl:

I stood beside a couple who had driven down from the Central Coast to see the English Setters show. They missed them. Timetable stated judging started at 09:00am. They arrived 09:35 and not a sign of the dogs.

Now even I am not sure what happened.

The show had finished by then although there where still English Setters there for the Setter show later on .

Given the rain people showed & went to dry dogs off or left .

You should have gone to the Chihuahua show or the toy show ,the Royal isn't a show to go too if you want to sit & play with the dogs

You should have gone to the Chihuahua show or the toy show ,the Royal isn't a show to go too if you want to sit & play with the dogs

Nope,you are misunderstanding. These people came down to support their breed & friends who were showing.

No question of 'playing' or sitting. I went because my breeder was there & I was needed to push show trolleys around.

:D