Coping With An Ageing Dog

BarbedWire

He is very loved. About a month ago we had a thunderstorm and he ended up on my bed during the night. (My dogs usually sleep in their own beds.) So now he sleeps with me every night. He's a good boy though. He doesn't hog the bed. :)

:laugh: :laugh: He is a good dog and a smart dog. Perfect timing with the temperatures dropping. :thumbsup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank everyone for their helpful posts. Yesterday we didn't go out because my girl was unwell during the night. This morning I started off with both and we went around the block and I did notice that my old boy was starting to tire. When we got back to the house I tied my girl up out the front and took the old boy inside and gave him a treat. I then took my girl for a longer walk. When we got back home the old boy was sound asleep on my lounge.

I will also take them for a drive to a park and let the old boy potter around while I throw a ball for my younger one.

So thanks everyone. Problem solved. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether to start a new thread or just update this one.

I took my old boy to the vet today for an x-ray and he has spondylosis/spondylitis (a bony spur on his spine) as well as arthritis in his elbow. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with spondylosis/spondylitis.

edited because not sure whether it is spondylosis or spondylitis

Edited by sarsaparilla

Yes i have ,its painful & certainly takes its toll on the dog BUT its location can also make it easier or worse

My boy had it in the end of his spine/base of his tail & it affected him in many ways,namely not being able to use his tail so it made toileting harder & getting up & down.

He was a 4okg dog ,short walks where a must to keep him active not only for mental health but keeping him as fit as possible,he had Bowen treatment every 3 weeks which made a massive difference because looking after the healthy parts of his body enabled him to be functional,getting up/down took a toll on his front so i needed to look after his front.his bed was a mattress because when sleeping he needed to spread out & the mattress allowed him to stretch & not have to curl nor climb up/down.

Pain killer wise we didn't go overboard because he couldn't stomach them ,we found in summer we could cut back to alternate days or less & in winter on occasions needed to increase but we still kept it minimal.

Arnica tablets where also used & arnica/comfrey cream in the affected areas & worked a treat ,we also used heat packs .

I worked from home with also made it easier to keep an eye on him .

Oh Sars that is very sad. I had an old sbt boy and the vet initially thought he had this but further tests revealed another issue with his spine. I remember finding an online community of people with dogs who had it and they were very helpful and supportive. So whatever treatment you pursue I wish you and your boy well.

Spondylolisthesis/spondylitis/spondo whatever is not necessarily a diagnosis that means very much at all for a lot of dogs. You can have what looks like a very spikey bone spur on a human vertebra and yet have no symptoms at all. Bone spurs are bone and they do not necessarily hurt at all unless they are poking into things that do feel pain. Perhaps the diagnosis of elbow arthritis is more relevant. When my 14 year old pit bull Hobbes started having difficulty jumping down from the couch or getting up and down the 4 steps into the sunken lounge (how 70's is the concept 'sunken lounge' LOL?), I had my vet investigate him and take a few scans. Yep, osteo arthritis of most major limb joints.

Hobbes has been on long term daily Metacam since his diagnosis and the difference is remarkable. It has taken 8 years off him. He prances about like he used and he even ran down and killed a rat a few months ago.

While I am not suggesting that Hobbes' treatment is the appropriate treatment for your dog, I would recommend having him fully assessed as sometimes a bit of pain cover or anti-inflammatories is all that is required.

Long term daily Metacam treatment is not cheap however; but it made such a difference to Hobbes that I would have sold one of my Mitsubishi Evos to pay for it if necessary.

Cheers,

ricey

Edited by ricey

Thankyou for the posts. The vet did not mention Metacam. She did say though that cartrophen was not good for bone spurs. I have Rimadyl on hand if I need it. He doesn't seem too bad however. He's still a happy boy although sometimes he does find the steps difficult. What I have found interesting is that he likes to sleep fully stretched out and he doesn't like my other dog snuggling up. I realise now that he might have some pain.

While catrophen would not be of any use in relation to the bone spurs it would help the arthritis. The main things of use are going to be very similar to those for a dog with arthritis in terms of lifestyle management. Providing ramps instead of stairs. Raising food and water bowls so they are not having to bend over to try and eat and drink, having firm flat surfaces, such as orthopaedic memory foam or egg shell foam mattresses for them to sleep on, keeping them warm, jumpers can help with this in winter if necessary. Keeping water bowls near the bed, so they are not having to walk to have a drink. Physiotherapy can help if you want to purse that, very gentle exercise, preferably on soft surfaces, such as grass is better than walking them on the footpath. In terms of medications, anti inflammatory, and pain relief will help. If it starts to affect the nerves which it can do, then Gabapentin would be the drug of choice in terms of pain relief, as that directly targets nerve pain.

While catrophen would not be of any use in relation to the bone spurs it would help the arthritis. The main things of use are going to be very similar to those for a dog with arthritis in terms of lifestyle management. Providing ramps instead of stairs. Raising food and water bowls so they are not having to bend over to try and eat and drink, having firm flat surfaces, such as orthopaedic memory foam or egg shell foam mattresses for them to sleep on, keeping them warm, jumpers can help with this in winter if necessary. Keeping water bowls near the bed, so they are not having to walk to have a drink. Physiotherapy can help if you want to purse that, very gentle exercise, preferably on soft surfaces, such as grass is better than walking them on the footpath. In terms of medications, anti inflammatory, and pain relief will help. If it starts to affect the nerves which it can do, then Gabapentin would be the drug of choice in terms of pain relief, as that directly targets nerve pain.

Thank you for this, It is very helpful.

• 6 months later...

Bringing up this old thread rather than starting a new one.

An update. My old boy is very unwell. He can't get up and down the steps any more and I have to carry him. I took him to the vet last Thursday and she did in-house blood tests which all came back normal. She could not really find anything wrong (except his arthritis and bone spur) but she gave him a pain-killing injection and an antibiotic injection. She did not want to give him anti-inflammatories in case he had an upset stomach. The next morning he seemed a lot better so I decided to continue with the AB treatment. Saturday he was getting worse, so I gave him a rimadyl tablet which helped. He became more cheerful and got up of his own accord. This morning he did not want to get up again. My girl (dog) went and got him up. He then only ate part of his breakfast. I gave him another rimadyl and he is still on the chair not wanting to get up but he now looks at me when I walk past. I am not sure if this is relevant but he also does not seem to be able to bark properly any more. He is still weeing and defecating normally, only I have to carry him outside because he can't make the steps. I guess I am asking myself - how am I going to know when it is time? How do we know how much pain how dogs feel?

Edited by sarsaparilla

What would you tell a friend, a work mate if it was their dog? Would you point out how the dog has had a good life with them, remind them to think of the life long love the dog has given them. Would you caution them over leaving it too late?

I have my guidelines one of which is independent toileting. I have let a dog go too long which continues to haunt me more than 10 years later.

No one can tell you what to do. Only you really know. Do your best. Hugs to you both. It's the worst time for us.

Rebanne said it -

take a step back .

Do his good minutes still outweigh the bad ?

is he happy - or is he 'going thru the motions'

I knew with our old Gert recently ... that morning, the fun had left her eyes - just like that . She was just "there" .. but with no spark . Still walking /eating a little . She was helped over the bridge that day .

You will perceive things differently ...

:hug:

Could his arthritis be causing further pain so he doesn't want to get up as it hurts? Maybe you could discuss further pain relief/arthritis treatment with the vet and see how he progresses with that. My 14 and a half girl doesn't want to go for walks anymore and doesn't attempt to jump on the lounge/bed - she waits until she is picked up and also has her bed on the floor. We have adjusted to a new routine since the young boy came to stay two years ago - he has a daily long walk, the 11/12 year old boy has a good potter around the property and Stella is very content to amble around the backyard and snooze the day away inside or for short periods on the deck.

Have a good chat to the vet before you make any decisions. From memory your boy is on the small side and at 12, he could have several good years if nothing is wrong. I also wonder if the AB's could be upsetting his stomach or if the pain is affecting his appetite so he doesn't want to eat much.

Hoping you get some answers and that things improve so you can enjoy life with him again.

Thank you for the replies. I am not ready to let him go yet. He is a beautiful dog and I want to try everything first. Stellnme, he is 13 and is medium sized and his arthritis and his bone spur are causing him pain. I don't know what breed because he is a rescue. Thanks for your suggestion though. I will try to see the vet tomorrow and ask about painkillers.

" I am not ready to let him go yet. He is a beautiful dog and I want to try everything first."

I understand that , but sometimes that is not in our pet's best interests..if it drags on with no drastic relief ...

he is a lucky boy, and I know you love him lots . :hug: