Mdba

alpha bet

I've just been told that the MDBA is a group that also accepts cross breed Breeders - oodles etc... Is this true....

Have seen lots of posts here from them and thought they were a further association for the pure breeds.... Surely this is not the case.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just been told that the MDBA is a group that also accepts cross breed Breeders - oodles etc... Is this true....

Have seen lots of posts here from them and thought they were a further association for the pure breeds.... Surely this is not the case.

No its not the case. We don't accept people who are breeding cross bred dogs and in order to qualify for membership they have to be breeding a recognised breed or working toward developing a new breed. This is nothing new and the original board which came from dogz people almost 11 years ago had a Mini Foxie breeder who is still one of our members.

The only thing we do differently in this regard to the ANKC is that we allow those who pass our criteria as a developing pure breed use of our registry before they are actually recognised .

There are tests for them to pass to be sure they are actually developing a new breed, they have to have a parent club, a breed standard run conformation shows, and we monitor their progress and health. Their stud books are still open but they cant just infuse a dog without a process to show how it will benefit the breed and why its necessary - its very rarely done. They have to register every puppy bred and provide a registered pedigree with it. They cannot have an oddle name etc

Every single Australian MDBA breeder member who is working on a new breed development was already an ANKC member before they joined the MDBA.

So if someone is upset about us letting them in - first it would be better to take on the ANKC and If people should never be able to develop a new breed then the ANKC needs to remove the criteria required to qualify. If someone thinks the MDBA is not doing what is best for the dogs by providing the breeders rules, regs, codes and accountability and by guiding them with health and testing requirements - recording every dog's details including their DNA fingerprint and mandatory 20 plus DNA tests ,their qualifications and awards including what jobs they may do then Im all ears because our objective is to do what is best for dogs.

It's the "Pet industry Association of Australia" that has all cross breeders in their breeder list.

And they've got a bunch of sponsors I'd consider avoiding too.

While I don't mind an industry out of food and accessories and health care products, I'm much less keen on an industry based on breeding puppies. But if you want a nice list of legal puppy mills - they have it.

Steve do have criteria for your breeder members? Not that I don't think ANKC have their fair share of questionable breeders but several of the Cobber Dog breeder websites don't fill me full of confidence as people trying to develop a breed.

They have to agree to the regs and rules and codes and they have to submit a resume type submission which tells us about their goals and philosophies experience etc. We monitor what they are doing and withdraw their membership if we cant see they are complying with it all and moving toward producing a predictable recognisable breed. The foundation breeders have a short period of time to change over with websites etc after they come in and there are some other issues to deal with via some of the international members. Any suggestion that F1 cross breeders or someone who is not wanting to develop a breed is an MDBA breeder member is investigated and dealt with the same as we check on our breeders who breed recognised breeds.

Yes, the Austalian Cobberdog is the breed being developed out of lab x poodles. I believe they are well down the track with development and are producing health tested dogs with consistent physical and temp characteristics, recorded pedigrees and are well past F1 lab to poodle crosses.

It's the "Pet industry Association of Australia" that has all cross breeders in their breeder list.

And they've got a bunch of sponsors I'd consider avoiding too.

While I don't mind an industry out of food and accessories and health care products, I'm much less keen on an industry based on breeding puppies. But if you want a nice list of legal puppy mills - they have it.

Oh dear...I just clicked on that link & then clicked on Members & learnt that we have a new designer dog called a "Jug" :eek:

What is a cobber dog....?

I believe it is the new name for a labradoodle, I stand to be corrected but think it has something to do with potential recognition with the ANKC

Not quite - Almost . There are about 11 breeds which have been infused for various reasons over the past 15 years to bring it to where it is now

Quote from the parent club website Link

The primary purpose of the introduction of the Australian Cobberdog name, was to be able to identify dogs of a new breed, which has been developing and selected for specific temperament, traits and characteristics for more than a decade and a half by some breeders world wide of the (almost extinct) authentic Australian Labradoodles, which is erroneously seen by most as the same 'breed'.

Though the roots of the Australian Cobberdog will always be associated with the 'Labradoodle', the finished produce is a new breed, bred selectively by breeders who are interested in future generations and not just the litter on the ground, to get a healthy, identifiable and predictable breed of dog more reliably suited to Service, Therapy and Assistance work.

Edited by Steve

Yes, the Austalian Cobberdog is the breed being developed out of lab x poodles. I believe they are well down the track with development and are producing health tested dogs with consistent physical and temp characteristics, recorded pedigrees and are well past F1 lab to poodle crosses.

Way back there were labs x poodles but see my earlier post several other breeds have been infused for particular reasons - what they are breeding now isn't just a selection of descendants of poodle x lab.

Had a Lagotta recently come to stay with us at the kennel for a few weeks... first time I have had any first hand contact with this breed....

What a ripper of a dog... Looks everything like what the oodle people are trying to breed but this guy had the best temperament, fun and happy, mixed well with other dogs but unlike the general experience Ive had with most oodles.... this Lagotta was smart and relaxed......

Just seems that there are already breeds out there who have the traits desired without having to "develop" a new one...

Have to say the name 'cobber' has a certain cringe factor....

Had a Lagotta recently come to stay with us at the kennel for a few weeks... first time I have had any first hand contact with this breed....

What a ripper of a dog... Looks everything like what the oodle people are trying to breed but this guy had the best temperament, fun and happy, mixed well with other dogs but unlike the general experience Ive had with most oodles.... this Lagotta was smart and relaxed......

Just seems that there are already breeds out there who have the traits desired without having to "develop" a new one...

Have to say the name 'cobber' has a certain cringe factor....

Doesn't look to me like what the Cobberdog people are trying to breed. Have you met many MDBA registered Australian Cobberdogs ?

I was one of their greatest critics until I met them and saw what they have done and what they continue to try to achieve

.The Lagotto coat alone would take them backwards by miles.

All beside the point really,and I have no desire to promote or defend the new breed or any breed other than my own. That's the job of the parent club and breed clubs . I guess people decide they might want to develop a new breed for a variety of reasons including that they dont think there is already a breed which covers what they are aiming for. They have the right to give it a go still in this country and if they are fair dinkum about trying to one day bring what they are doing to a predictable breed and they are not just cross breeding for money and they fit our criteria we accept them as members just as we have done for over ten years - We are not the ANKC and part of our criteria isnt whether they are breeding recognised ANKC breeds - never has been.

So the answer to your question

I've just been told that the MDBA is a group that also accepts cross breed Breeders - oodles etc...

No, thats not true.

Edited by Steve

I have met Australian Cobberdogs and they are lovely dogs. They are very human focused, smart, their coat stays remarkably clean and they don't shed. This breed will in all likelihood be my next dog.

It is a good thing that people are breeding a dog that is a new breed. It doesn't hurt any breed or breeder currently breeding.

I would rather support breeders who are breeding towards a breed standard rather than breeding first crosses. Puppy buyers will get a pedigree of the pup's lineage with DNA test results. That is a good thing.

I have met Australian Cobberdogs and they are lovely dogs. They are very human focused, smart, their coat stays remarkably clean and they don't shed. This breed will in all likelihood be my next dog.

It is a good thing that people are breeding a dog that is a new breed. It doesn't hurt any breed or breeder currently breeding.

I would rather support breeders who are breeding towards a breed standard rather than breeding first crosses. Puppy buyers will get a pedigree of the pup's lineage with DNA test results. That is a good thing.

Have a look at lagottos.

Have a look at lagottos.

Sheridan Lagottos are not like Australian Cobberdogs -there are numerous differences.

Have a look at lagottos.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the thought.

I have looked into Lagotto's but they have been bred to work and their exercise requirements are much different than the Australian Cobberdog. They have been described as best fitting in with active families which we are not.

They are also a "nose" dog and not easily distracted when on the scent of something.

I am not sure the Lagotto and my family would be the best mix.

Have a look at lagottos.

I have looked into Lagotto's but they have been bred to work and their exercise requirements are much different than the Australian Cobberdog. They have been described as best fitting in with active families which we are not.

They are also a "nose" dog and not easily distracted when on the scent of something.

The oodle that you're looking at is cross between two very active retriever breeds.

Have a look at lagottos.

The oodle that you're looking at is cross between two very active retriever breeds.

I am not sure we are talking about the same dogs. Australian Cobberdogs aren't an oddle. Yes they had in their beginnings Labradors and Poodles but they have come a long way since then.

They aren't a first cross so they can't be compared to first crosses. I spent some time with them in Europe and they were very laid back and their temperament was amazing and I think they will suit my family.