Maybe An Aussie? Advice?

Miru

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Aussies doing agility of all different energy levels and there are definitely similarities within lines! I can highly recommend Pawsitive Aussie Sheps - excellent breeder and trainer who will be 100% honest.

+1 if I was to get another Aussie I would be talking to Pawsitive, although I' m not sure Amanda has any litters planned at the moment but she was very helpful when I asked her for advice. :thumbsup:

I think what ever dog you get you need to factor out the other dogs & look at what you want/can offer a dog on its own,your dog irrespective of having "maybe" suitable playmates still needs to learn to live on its own & be happy with its own company otherwise you may set yourself up for failure or another hard work dog .

All the Aussies i have been around have had super natures & great with kids & bomb proof & happy to go off with who ever .

Thanks showdog, yeah I definitely want a dog to be ok with it's own company as well as the company of other dogs. I brought those up as an example of my daily life - being around these other dogs will be a fact of life for any dog I get. Of course, being other peoples' dogs, I can't rely on them being there forever. That's why I'm having a hard look at whether the energy levels and quick mind of an Aussie are something I can comfortably accommodate. I'm torn because I hear of a lot of Aussies who are more laid back (and know a few) who sound perfect for a companion but there's no guarantees. I guess keeping an open line with a good breeder will be my best bet.

I would have had you down as the perfect home for a Whippet. I don't often suggest my own breed but one would fit right into your lifestyle and they are more than happy to lay around in the house and do nothing, or be involved in whatever you want to do. Miss a walk and they don't care, miss a week and most will still happily hang around your feet. They are a little more challenging for the first 12 months but they pass the baby puppy stage and juvenile delinquent stage every quickly

There are some good websites that list the bad qualities about Aussies. If you google 'Why not to get an Australian Shepherd' they should come up. When I read those websites I actually read those "bad" things and thought 'I actually LOVE those things!'

I don't think people should get breeds just hoping to get 'the exception'. They do pop up, but again, they are working breeds. If you don't want to deal with working dog tendencies perhaps look elsewhere, or at least look at an adult dog with a temperament already set in.

WreckitWhippets suggestion sounds good! My Aussie would not deal with that situation very well for example :)

Edited by LisaCC

silentchild - Thanks!

LisaCC - I've read the websites laying out why not to get an Aussie and taken them under consideration. I do enjoy working dog tendencies, I see them every day in the border collies and kelpies at the horse property I go to and that's why I'm even considering them in the first place. I just want to be really sure before making a commitment.

WreckitWhippet - Thanks for the recommendation :)

Thank you everyone, I very much appreciate your time! I will talk to breeders, check them out at shows and take my time to make any decisions.

My Aussie Shep girl would be fine in your situation EXCEPT for possibly the destructive thing. She was definitely a destructo puppy, she was into everything and as she grew every day when I came home would be a new discovery in what she could reach, pull down and destroy :laugh:

She's three now and much better than she was but she is still super curious and into everything. I am always aware that anything she can get hold of is at risk of being destroyed. You can see her thought process too, it's curiosity, wanting to know what it is and what it does, not just destructiveness for fun. And she can open doors, cupboards, the fridge, the oven and figure out how to climb on things to reach further to so it's not just a matter of putting things up high.

I actually love her intelligence and watching her figure things out but she has cost me a bomb in things she's broken, and the house has to be set up to work around her.

Other than that she's pretty good, fine with other dogs but not obsessed with them, adooores people but can be very boisterous with them. Super trainable but quick to learn for herself too so I do have to be on my toes to be clear what I do and don't want from her.

She plays a lot with my other dogs but would be ok on her own as long as she was with me lots of the time. She wouldn't cope being outside separated from what was going on in the house but she's fine at home by herself for normal work hours or less.

Quinn is fine with an hour walk and/or off lead run around a day and would be fine missing a day here and there. As others have said with her it's more about the mental stimulation too so an hour walking through town meeting people and practicing training would satisfy her much more than an hour run.

I don't think you should discount them, just as you've said talk to people, meet their dogs, be honest with yourself and them about what you really want :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Everyone has given you fantastic information :)

I'm also one of those people who has an Aussie with issues.... My boy has issues meeting other dogs, and he is territorial at home, mostly to men, he'll bark a lot and be very aloof yet territorial towards any intruders. We're working on this, and making progress...

Despite those issues, I'd almost say I have the most chilled out Aussie ever! He would be absolutely happy with the lifestyle you've described. My boy is very content with a bit of training, and a romp with my Kelpie, and thats really it. Of course he loves doing other activities and is always up for them, but he's just as happy to chill out with the family :) He's very devoted to me, and seems to enjoy everything the same whether its laying around doing nothing, teaching new tricks or going hiking... if its with me, he's happy. He does love learning new tricks though, I love watching his mind tick over as he figures out what behaviour I want him to do :D

Definitely do your research on which line of dogs to go for (would also recommend Pawsitive, her dogs are gorgeous!).

Maybe I'm biased, but Aussies are just the best dogs ever! :thumbsup:

I haven't ever owned an aussie but I've got a couple of very good friends with them. I'm not sure they'd be content with that lifestyle. All the ones I know thrive with lots of mental and physical stimulation.

Plus all female Aussie's I've known have been very dominant and had to be managed carefully by experienced owners. I'm not saying you can't manage this- but you did say you wanted a dog requiring less work.

Personally I'd think a gun dog would suit you better than an Aussie.

I think I've been misunderstood - I'm not afraid of putting in hard work with a dog, it just took me some time to decide that yes I did want a dog again along with all the resultant issues I may have to face in its lifetime. I'm nervous of ending up with DestructoDog II but her problem was far and beyond issues of mischief/boredom/timidity/etc which I have no problem dealing with should they arise.

My main concern is making sure I can provide a happy life for whichever dog I end up with. If it turns out to not be an Aussie, I'll definitely look into other breeds so I'm glad people are making suggestions :) I'd just like to fully explore the possibility of an Aussie however, as I am a great admirer of the breed and working breed types in general. My heart is not so set on this breed to the point of ignoring warning signs that it should never be, so it's great hearing stories from everyone about theirs, good and bad.

Simply Grand - I was in stitches reading about your dog opening everything!

Miru, if you want to get a good idea if an aussie would suit you then the best thing is to go and meet some.

I see your in Victoria... I breed Aussies and run a training school up here in Wandong which is just north of melbourne.... I often have people come up to see the dogs and I am happy for you to come up and visit the dogs - see them in 'paddock condition' on our farm and see whether or not you think this is a breed for you. I rarely groom mine and have little issue with grooming, perhaps because mine are out and about charging around the farm, swimming in the dam and rolling around with each other.

Have to say I don't find these dogs particularly anxious they are really people focused and love to have some work to do... I often have 4-6 aussies lazing around the house and we have horses, goats etc.

Check the website and come up for a visit then you can decide for yourself.... www.alfoxton.com.au

If you like Aussies & want to own one & feel like you can cope with the lifestyle, why not? Any dog is a commitment and I think if you mention your situation to a breeder they could probably suggest a suitable puppy. Not all Aussies are the same - even by the same sire!! My two Aussies I've had, while very similar are different in many ways.