Maybe An Aussie? Advice?

Miru

Miru, the number of times I've said to her "see, this is why I can't have nice things!" :mad :p And there are times when I'm stressed or tired and she gets into something she shouldn't and I want to scream, but generally I keep my sense of humour about it and she really is fun to have around.

She's also very caring towards me, if I am upset she will come over and touch me with her paws and lick me to try and calm me down.

I wouldn't change her for the world though, and as with any dog if you are committed and it's something you really want you make it work, and it's worth it :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 3 aussies now with a variety of temperaments but the one thing I would have to stress to anyone looking at an aussie is how much they love their people. I am a sheltie breeder and used to having a tribe of dogs follow me everywhere but all of my aussies have taken it a step further and want to be touching me. As I type this my current aussie Nova is wedged under the computer desk with her head on my foot. I would prefer a little more distance to be honest.

Otherwise it really is more about the individual dogs. My 3 aussies were all so different. Quest was a cruisy girl energy wise, great to live with but quite nervous. Reeve was just an absolute honey everywhere. Both of these dogs would take as little or much exercise as you offered and were happy to just be with you. My current girl Nova is a different story, very busy girl that needs her exercise or we all suffer for it. She has appointed herself jobs to do around the house. After the dogs have been fed she collects all the bowls for instance, she is also sheltie supervisor and breaks up any grumping. An absolute character but very full on

I met a whole of aussie sheps today at agility trials, spoke to their people (including Pawsitive, what a lovely person she is!) and asked all my questions... and my heart has been lost to them utterly. Now begins my research for a breeder :)

alpha bet - I'm pretty decided but I would still love to come and meet your dogs if I may? I'll email you

Thankyou everyone for your input!

Definitely go with the recommendations and advice with regards to breeders.

The right aussie from a good breeder could definitely suit you. My old aussie would have been fine in your situation.

I personally wouldn't get another aussie but she was a great dog and the right dog for that time of our lives.

I met a whole of aussie sheps today at agility trials, spoke to their people (including Pawsitive, what a lovely person she is!) and asked all my questions... and my heart has been lost to them utterly. Now begins my research for a breeder :)

alpha bet - I'm pretty decided but I would still love to come and meet your dogs if I may? I'll email you

Fantastic! Glad you made contact with Pawsitive - you would have seen a real variety of Aussie temperaments at that agility trial. I would have been there with my lot but my lass is expecting pups herself :)

Thanks so much everyone, I'm so excited!

The Spotted Devil - I did see different temperaments indeed and it was a great way to get a good overview of the breed. I'm really glad I went along :)

I'm sure you will be fine with an Aussie Miru. For all Luka's faults I have to say, I absolutely love him to bits. He is very special to me. Yes, there are days I wish He was more of a social butterfly but he is so loving and adorable when he is at home it makes up for all his 'issues'

Good luck with your search and keep us posted :D

HI Miru - Glad to hear that today was helpful for you :). I think everyone here has posted some really well rounded views of what an Aussie is/ can be like and I really like Lisa's (?) advice of thinking about what could be the 'worst' type of Aussie and could you live / manage that - worst on the realm of 'normal' - I don't think anyone goes through expecting to get a dog with serious behaviour issues and this can happen no matter the planning.

I think from what you are wanting - a male would be best for you and also be willing to take the word of the breeder - they shouldn't be afraid to turn around and say 'this one is not for you'. This is not against you as an owner, but because that particular puppy doesn't suit what you want - like I said to you today - this is extremely important to ME as a breeder (and most of the other breeders I know!) because we want a successful match from the start!

I forgot to pull Digger out for you to meet today but if you come to another comp you will have to meet Tahlia (Digger's mum)... she's a little... ummm... different to what you experienced today! Think Zara having a silly then times it by 100! She is an absolute people tart too :p

Oh and Silentchild - What day are you doing Dog lovers? Will I see you there? I'm doing Fri/Sat and then off to Ballarat for agility on Sunday :)...

Oh and Silentchild - What day are you doing Dog lovers? Will I see you there? I'm doing Fri/Sat and then off to Ballarat for agility on Sunday :)...

Hopefully I will see you!! I am doing Sat arvo and maybe Sunday as I have to take Breeze to her UWT session Sat morning - probably won't bring her to Dog Lovers tho!! Bit too full-on for her. Just the human this time. ;) Who are you bringing, Kinta?

Thanks LP, yeah I've decided a male will best suit me too. Differences between the sexes personality-wise was a question I brought up with the other people I was talking to today that you introduced me to (I'm sorry I'm so terrible at remembering names) and I'm glad your advice matches the gut feeling I'd already had. I'll definitely be following the advice of the breeder and won't take it personally if they decide there is not a pup for me in the litter. As much as I'm sorely missing a dog in my life, I'm content to wait for my sake, the dog's sake and the breeder's sake. Aussies are really something special and worth the wait.

Who's Digger LP? Boy aren't you going to have fun with the new H360 verbal :laugh:

Hahaha - Digger is Meg's boy - my prized Tahli baby :) Actually the 3rd pick of the litter, but seems to have the 'wow' factor and has surpassed his sisters as the 'pick'.. LOL

Yes - I heard about the new verbal - hmmm... that could be interesting for Meg!

Hopefully I will see you!! I am doing Sat arvo and maybe Sunday as I have to take Breeze to her UWT session Sat morning - probably won't bring her to Dog Lovers tho!! Bit too full-on for her. Just the human this time. ;) Who are you bringing, Kinta?

t is UWT? I'm not sure who I am bringing on what days but Ari will be supporting the Lowchens and Koda/Tahli will be sharing the Aussie role!