Researching Human/dog Relationships

sheena

Hope it is OK to put this here :) A friend is conducting a small survey as a project for her HSC. It only takes about 5 minutes, if you can help.....here is a cut & paste of her original

post on FB :)

Hi everyone. Some of you know me and some of you don't, but either way, it would be a big help if you were able to fill out this questionnaire for my high school research project. I'm researching the human-dog relationship and would be very interested in your opinions. Thanks

Human/Dog Relationships

Edited by sheena

done.

PS being aware of the study behind this article - coloured some of my answers

https://positively.com/articles/fatal-dog-bites-share-common-factors/

Ie some of the questions seemed a bit superficial and a lot of my answers depend on the dog's living environment.

So I wrote rather a lot in the boxes.

BTW - a dog being given to someone whose mental illness involves abuse of animals - would not be a good thing, but otherwise, where both the dog and the human benefit - all good.

Glad someone is asking questions.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

done.

Ie some of the questions seemed a bit superficial and a lot of my answers depend on the dog's living environment.

BTW - a dog being given to someone whose mental illness involves abuse of animals - would not be a good thing, but otherwise, where both the dog and the human benefit - all good.

I will pass your comments on to her :)

Completed.

A lot of those I found hard to answer because yes or no generalises too much and doesn't cover all scenarios. Maybe an 'other' option with a comment box would have been good?

Edited by Roova

done.

Agreed with all that is said there. Seen some with mental illness do well with dogs, others who were made significantly worse by them. Unfortunately many choose dogs who have acute anxiety disorders and rather than help the person, it makes things a thousand times worse for them. A stable dog can be positive. Equally many can have a great deal of trouble looking after the dog, and that needs to be taken into account.

I know of 2 cases where people with mental health issues were supposedly given assistance dogs. While OK at the beginning, things got very out of control, both dogs eventually bit a child in a shopping centre, and both ended up being euthanized. It was a loss for both the human and the dog. The people concerned, laughed at what the dog did and while video surveillance showed it could have been prevented, they were not well enough to read the dogs signals. The dogs should never have been in the situations they were in, equally the individuals should never have been given the dogs. No dog is a robot, they all require a competent person to look after them, and if people are likely to have periods of being able to make informed decisions, then things can go very badly wrong.