Morning Sickness Medications

For those who might have read my thread about Danny and his reflux problems, you will know that nausea and throwing up continue to be a big problem. Worse than ever, actually, and in the past couple of months he has lost 500grams. :cry:

In the past week, most mornings have seen him regurgitate up to seven times in the first few hours of being up. Not vomitting, just mouth open and out it comes and he regurgitates most of his morning medications. I have tried medicating twice a day (it should be three times), but whether twice or thrice, the throwing up doesn't seem to change much. Some really bad days and some not so really bad. Never a day without throwing up.

From mid afternoon is a very different story and he is bright, takes his meds and most evenings has a decent sized meal.

And for those whose first response would be for me to go to the vet ------ we practically live there :( and we are now trying another medication in the Zantac-type suite to try to help the nausea.

However, it just occurred to me while contemplating another morning of 5 throws, that maybe a morning sickness type medication might work for him. I know totally different reasons for the nausea, but I am desperate.

Unfortunately, he does have a hiatus hernia as well, so he has mechanical problems as well, with not only has the nausea to deal with, but the hernia also.

Just thinking aloud and wondering whether anyone else has been through this. My vet, despite a few decades of practice, has never come across such an intransigent problem.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the first time you've tried zantac (or similar)? My son had an ulcer where he'd just vomit up food straight away and zantac, valium and some other kind of anxiety medication helped him get better.

Have you tried any ginger based products?, we have had success with Elevit morning sickness tablets and to a lesser extent blooms ginger calm

I don't know about these, Sunrij, but will definitely investigate, thank you.

I have to be careful and check anything out because he is on four different medications - all of which are supposed to work in with each other, but don't seem to be doing the job.

Sorry DDD. I didn't mean to upset you. Not everyone can take Zantac but I'm unsure about whether or not it affects dogs the same as it did with me.

No no, don't apologise. I am just upset that I may have been giving him a medicine that makes him sick when it is supposed to stop him being sick. :( :(

Just so hard to know what to do.

He is like two dogs: morning dog and afternoon/evening dog.

He is 16; I just want the time we have left to be better than this for him. :cry: :cry:

Sorry DDD. I didn't mean to upset you. Not everyone can take Zantac but I'm unsure about whether or not it affects dogs the same as it did with me.

No no, don't apologise. I am just upset that I may have been giving him a medicine that makes him sick when it is supposed to stop him being sick. :( :(

Just so hard to know what to do.

He is like two dogs: morning dog and afternoon/evening dog.

He is 16; I just want the time we have left to be better than this for him. :cry: :cry:

I know how that feels, wanting the time he has left to be as good for him as it can be. He looks such a sweet boy. I saw a pic on Facebook of him and immediately sent you a friend request. If it's the Zantac causing his nausea there are similar drugs the vet can prescribe that don't have that side effect, or hopefully not. It's trial and error with our dogs, if only they could tell us.

My 11yo Cavalier has congestive heart failure. He's been on meds each 12 hours every day for the past seven months and he's now ailing fairly quickly. I can see the deterioration happening. I want the time he has left to be good for him. He's my special boy, I can't imagine being without him.

He has had no evident problems with his medication but his gas would could strip paint from the walls so something is happening with his digestive system though it it doesn't appear to make him feel nauseous.(Can't say the same for me with his foul smelling wind).

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow about the Zantac and the nausea.

Did I say yes to being friends :laugh: I hope so. I've had a few requests of late from people I don't know obviously taken with my wit and sparkling personality LOL.

We are off to the vet now, because Danny was violently ill some time before 5am which was the time I woke to find him standing on the side of the bed wanting to be lifted down. I did this and found he'd been ill everywhere :( :(

I was so pleased with the amount of food he had eaten through the evening - but it was all brought up. :cry: :cry:

Poor little man, he is exhausted.

I've been texting the vet and he's asked me to bring Danny down so they can take more xrays. He doesn't think it is the medication.

Did I say yes to being friends :laugh: I hope so. I've had a few requests of late from people I don't know obviously taken with my wit and sparkling personality LOL.

We are off to the vet now, because Danny was violently ill some time before 5am which was the time I woke to find him standing on the side of the bed wanting to be lifted down. I did this and found he'd been ill everywhere :( :(

I was so pleased with the amount of food he had eaten through the evening - but it was all brought up. :cry: :cry:

Poor little man, he is exhausted.

I've been texting the vet and he's asked me to bring Danny down so they can take more xrays. He doesn't think it is the medication.

You did say yes, (I have my DOL name in brackets on my page). I don't know who most DOL folk are on Facebook.

Oh, poor little Danny being so sick early this morning. He's a very lucky boy he has you to take care of him :hug:

I'm no vet but I think Zantac should be considered to be a contributing factor to his vomiting at least until it's absolutely ruled out. There must be a similar drug the vet could prescribe instead, to see if the nausea/vomiting continues. I didn't know Zantac was causing my nausea until my daughter in law told me she had the same reaction. I stopped taking it immediately and the nausea ceased.

Wonder if you are still at home or already left?

Maybe ask the Vet if a drug called Propulsid or Cisapride could be considered. It allows quick passage of food thro' the system to reduce food 'sitting' & casuing nausea.

You know how humans eat & the undigested food 'sits' in our stomach & makes us feel poorly: can happen with dogs.

:(

& just a wee bit OT, Mylanta flattens me.... makes me chunder.

Sorry TMI

Edited by VizslaMomma

Thanks for all the suggestions. Danny is at the vets and we will see what, if anything, further xrays show. :( :(

He is such a little old man now. I had to park about a hundred yards away from the vets as their car park and street parking were full. We toddled along at a crawl and he obviously was a bit confused, but the funny thing is that he did a #2 on the footpath and it was fine and always has been through all of this.

VM, one of the meds Danny has been on from pretty well the beginning is Cisapride. I have it compounded, beef flavour, at the chemist. I also have the tablets (incorrect from SASH :( ) which he has been getting for the past few days because I was late in getting the repeat to the chemist - takes a couple of days.

Well my little boy is home having spent the day being spoilt and watching very intently everything that happened around him. Vet says, "He is very clingy." That's my boy. :love::love:

Looking at the xrays taken in October and then today, you would believe that Danny was vastly, hugely improved. So why is he throwing up so much? We just don't know. He definitely doesn't have megaesaphagus which has been suggested by a dear DOLer who read all through my other thread and this one in an effort to understand the problems and to help. So grateful - :thanks: Andrea. :thumbsup:

The vet took urine sample too because of his drinking, but there was absolutely nothing to show that his intake was above normal. Also he has bloods done twice in the past few months and there is nothing obvious showing up there.

So both the mystery and the medicine regime will stay the same although the Ranitidine (Zantac) has been changed to Famotidine. This latter will be compounded in liquid form and just the tiniest amount is needed, so that will be a relief. The Ranitidine tastes really horrible and Danny was having to endure this three times a day.

I've had Famotidine in tablet form for a few days and, up until this morning, I have been able to give that to him in some "plastic" cheesy spread which they all like so all get a little bit when Danny has his meds LOL. This is given only twice a day so that is a relief for Danny: two little bits of cheesy spread instead of three syringes full of horrible tasting liquid can't be all bad.

He is a tired old fellow this evening and his dinner, despite my entreaties for him eat something sustaining and nutritious, consisted of some icecream. :(

Everything crossed that his "morning sickness" won't appear tomorrow and he has a better day.