Dog Walkers' Safety Event April 26 Stafford

mita

Notice in North-West News, Brisbane:

Dog owners and their pooches are invited to attend the official launch of Dogs on Patrol, hosted by Stafford Police & Neighbourhood Watch groups.

The new Qld Police Service initiative is being launched on April 26 from 3-5pm at Roy Harvey Park in Stafford and aims to promote dog walkers' personal safety.

Locals can pat a police pup, grab plenty of doggie treats (human treats, too) and come and collect a free Dogs on Patrol dog tag, then have it engraved for free.

There will be a free sausage sizzle.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful time, LG. Huge number of people & their dogs came. The police officers were flat out, with long lines of people, taking dogs' names & contact numbers ... then they engraved their 'Dogs on Patrol' collar tag with that info to be picked up after 15 minutes.

Lots to do .... free sausage sizzle & drinks, people happily waited in a long line. There were stalls of all kinds.... Kedron Vet staff had lovely doggie treats, AWL was there, so was Neighbourhood Watch, doggie clothing & leads. People had a great time just talking with each other & patting dogs (there's a fenced off-leash area on the spot, so some let their dogs play there). Police officers who weren't in the busy tag production line had a great time talking to people and their dogs. Their media unit was taking photos.

People were very happy to stay for the 2 hours... & as I said elsewhere it was great to see a GAP assessed, rehomed greyhound win a big donated prize in the lucky draw.

It was organised by the police in the Stafford Police District, with funding help from a Council Community fund.

I asked the police officer who thought of the initiative, if other Police Districts would now do one, too. She said it would depend on the Crime Prevention officer in each district .... they'd be the ones to ask in other areas. It's a brilliant idea & I think the police were surprised as well as delighted at the enormous response and how great all the people & dogs were. Didn't hear one doggie kerfuffle in the entire time!

My Tibbie girls are wearing their 'Dogs on Patrol' tags which have 'Qld Police Service Initiative' written on them. It occurred to me that's not a bad thing ...if some creep decides to steal them. Might think the police are specially watching over these dogs! :)