Non-Showing Dog Allowed To Come To Shows?

I went to my first show in April thinking you weren't allowed, but saw that some people did bring their (rather barky!) dogs along. As long as they don't disturb the competitors I think it should be fine. :)

Do you know anyone exhibiting? I'd check with them, but I would think it would be fine. I've taken my non showing dog to a show to meet up with her family before :)

I would check your states rules and regulations. You may find it may differ in each state.

In Qld. you sign a form to say what dogs you have at the show that are not entered.

I would check your states rules and regulations. You may find it may differ in each state.

In Qld. you sign a form to say what dogs you have at the show that are not entered.

I am in NSW too. We are allowed to take dogs on leashes to shows and keep them under control.

Once the puppies were 12 weeks I would take them to shows just for the variety & epxeriences.

Just need to keep the dog away from any dogs being shown to let dogs & handlers concentrate on the aim of the day.

With a great group of friends, it can be a lovely outing..

:D

Take your dogs....There is no way that people can actually really know what dogs are there or not... who has the time to check.... The other point is that with some shows if they are in public venues then other dogs can be there anyway....

• 4 weeks later...

No one cares, in NSW it's allowed. I take my little mixed breed dog sometimes if he's doing agility at the lower Dogs NSW fields on the same say as a show and apart from a couple of double takes trying to guess what breed he may be no one says anything.

I took my cattle dog x black and white spotty dog to a Rottweiler show at SACA one time.

I think there might have been a herding comp at the other end or I had some other reason to be at SACA but I put her on lead and went and checked out all the other dogs. I didn't let her say hello to another dog without permission.

I also took her round a dog show at Armidale NSW - despite her long tail, she did look well camouflaged with the stumpy tails - I'd love to have one of those dogs. Same thing - no greeting other dogs without permission (me or her).

It never occurred to me that I might not be allowed to do that. Nobody asked me to leave. I often go to agility or obedience comps when I'm not entered too. Most of those in Adelaide area are on council land anyway - the public can go through as long as they don't interfere with the actual competition.

I think there might be some objection if you were trying to do a "fine cotton" substitution with a dog you had entered, and swap for one you had not entered... but I think the regulars might notice.

• 2 months later...

When I travel I often have a non showing dog along with me. They are handled the same way as the dogs being shown (crated or penned in gazebo, hanging out in gazebo, walked on lead in the appropriate areas etc. Mine even get table time for a quick grooming session as they love it so much and they know that is what you do at a show lol!). the only real difference is they don't go in the ring. I make sure the dog is presented well (i.e. while they may not be as polished as the ones being shown, they are well groomed and clean) as all the dogs are 'on display' and a reflection of me both in and outside of the ring.

I once took my then 5 month old puppy along to a trial my older dog was entered in and got told off by the trial manager because I didn't ask permission first. I had wrongly assumed that if she was in her crate it wouldn't be a problem and because I had travelled 2 hours to get to the trial I had to leave her in the car alone while I competed and spent the rest of the day sitting with my two dogs in the back of the car.

Wow DD! I can't imagine that happening at an agility trial here!!!

hhmm yes, seemed a bit of an over reaction because the trial had a grand total of 10 dogs entered! They were just being pedantic (and some interclub politics too I imagine) but I guess it's a warning to anyone who might travel a long way to spectate with their dog- best to ask the trial manager so you know for sure.

Years ago I got in to the Royal Melbourne Show simply because I turned up with my 2 pet whippets on leads. I just went through the normal entrance but the bloke assumed I was showing them. It wasn't even whippet day. :laugh: They're alot stricter and more careful now.