Dog Attacked On Back Of Owners Ute.

:cry::cry: so awful.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/pet-dog-killed-by-stranger-in-alleged-case-of-animal-cruelty-20150515-gh2bpd.html

Date

May 15, 2015 - 12:16PM

FIRST ON 3AW: A dog has died after being struck in the head with a mallet, in what witnesses describe as a horrific case of animal cruelty.

Rahja, a border collie, was tied up in the back of a parked ute in Castlemaine when a man walking past hit the dog "with full force".

Rahja later suffered a brain haemorrhage and died.

Witness Jade Frost said the man claimed he had been bitten by the dog and was acting in self defence.

"I [saw] him walk past the dog, and the dog just sat their tied up," she told Neil Mitchell.

"I [saw] him reach into his car and pull out something bigger than a hammer - like a mallet - and with full force swing that into the dog's head.

"And at that point I ran over and said 'What are you doing?' and he claimed the dog had bitten him."

Ms Frost said she had not seen the dog bite the man.

"If he was able to safely get to his driver's seat, get into his car and get a weapon - how can that be self defence?" she said.

"I want to see this person charged."

Rahja was taken to Castlemaine veterinary clinic where he was initially treated by Yvette Berkeley.

Ms Berkeley said he was treated for a two inch open wound on his skull.

"I've seen a lot of things but not that," Ms Berkeley told Neil Mitchell.

After returning home to his owner, Rahja suffered a brain haemorrhage and died last night.

Police have interviewed a 50-year-old man from Harcourt over the incident.

They said he may face charges in relation to the Prevention of Cruelty Act, and urged other witnesses to come forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I wore a black & white ribbon yesterday in honour of Rahjas day. Reading Rahjas story on face book reduced me to an emotional mess. Just beyond tragic. The sheer horror of what poor Rahja was subjected to at the hands of this random monster is beyond belief. His poor owners grief would of been immeasurable. He rescued 8 months

previously ????

RIP gorgeous boy. Run free now. So sorry you had to cross paths with such evil...

I hope karma has his way every other day with the B#$t@+d who committed this horrific crime...