English Springer Spaniel Willow's Story :)

Willowlane

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay I finally got around to posting the professional photo taken while we were competing in Bungendore. I Just love it, shows off how gorgeous she is and how much she has grown up already :o

So my issue recently has been where to go to show????

5 weeks and no shows to go too mmmm not a good idea for a little puppy (and beginner handler) just learning the ropes to be out of practice for so long so were heading of to Canberra for the ACT Ladies Kennel Club Inc Championship Show on the 15th & 16th of August. Its will be lots of fun to be on the road again with mum and little one as she gets called at home and this time we will most likely camp to save some money, fingers crossed its not raining :laugh:

Then the idea is to compete at Campbelltown, Newcastle, the Spring Spectacular & New England Ladies KC at Gunnedah and then Hunter KC at Hillsborough.

Ive just gotten a job that has me working Monday/Wednesday/Fridays. So I cant compete Fridays but its a 7am start on Fridays and (I think) I finish by 1pm, so I can travel on fridays and the best thing is no weekend work so I can show every weekend if I wanted to...not that the budget would allow it but hopefully every 2nd weekend can be the norm :)

What I really need to get use to is doing one day shows on my own...how do you do it people??? gazebo up and down, tables, chairs, show gear bags, jackets, food, drink etc etc set up is ok but pack up is exhausting. Whats the secret to going on ones own? So far Iv'e always had a helper but eventually Im going to have to go it alone..........

So please I need some opinions! :D

There are lots of shows all over NSW so you have plenty to choose from. If you enter online they pretty much close the week before - good for lazy people like me.

I usually show alone - it's pretty easy to wheel your stuff across in a trolley, set up a gazebo etc. I try to pack light if it's just a single day show. At EP I'll sometimes sit under an awning so I don't need a gazebo.

Show wise I'm pretty much just entering the big ones - trying to curb my spending. So I'm only doing Sydney KC, the Ekka and then Spring Fair. Probably nothing after that until Melbourne Royal.

There are lots of shows all over NSW so you have plenty to choose from. If you enter online they pretty much close the week before - good for lazy people like me.I usually show alone - it's pretty easy to wheel your stuff across in a trolley, set up a gazebo etc. I try to pack light if it's just a single day show. At EP I'll sometimes sit under an awning so I don't need a gazebo. Show wise I'm pretty much just entering the big ones - trying to curb my spending. So I'm only doing Sydney KC, the Ekka and then Spring Fair. Probably nothing after that until Melbourne Royal.

Wow I would love to do EKKA and Melbourne Royal...What do you have to do to compete at Sydney Royal? That would be a dream come true!

For the horses you have to qualify: 7 wins at 7 different shows of a specific level in open competition. What is it for dogs?

Wow I would of thought you would of had to qualify but im use to horses where you have to qualify for everything.

Today Willow got a special treat, a tin of sardines :D and she loved them, licked the bowl clean hehe my grandmother would of been proud!

On the competition front I have us entered for ACT Ladies Day in 2 weeks then Campbelltown the week after that which is exciting, im missing being out at the shows.

I started a new job this week which unfortunately means no Friday competitions except the odd one here and there but I dont have to work any weekends ever so I can compete every weekend if I wanted to so that makes up for missing out on Fridays.

Sydney Royal is just like any other dog show BUT it can make or break your dogs temps,many a dog has left the grounds spooked by the surroundings so make sure your dog is bomb proof,most have there issues leaving when they have to walk out past the rides in side show alley & if its hot is the worse place possible to be .

Oooh... Lovely sardine breath!

I love how excited my boy gets when I pull out a tin, I hate the fishy kisses LOL!

I also find it interesting that you don't need to qualify for the royal show, I thought of it a bit like a final testing ground!

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time together.

You have chosen well, having show lessons with Luci Ellem. She is a brilliant teacher and many of us have her to thank for our success in the ring.

Keep enjoying your time in the ring with your gorgeous girl thumbsup1.gif

Another quick update of the comings and goings of Miss Willow.

Tomorrow were off for a lesson with Pam Rowles, she is only 45mins from us (30mins if I come stay at my parents like I have tonight) and is a lot closer than Luci Ellem who takes 1hr45mins just to get there one way. Unfortunately I also couldn't afford to keep going with Luci's lessons due to the cost :( Pam came highly recommended though so im really looking forward to seeing her take on things.

Some pictures tonight of Willie as her name has seemingly been shortened to, we tried not to due to the obviousnessess of it's boyish nature lol but it becomes her in a cute feminine way. She also gets Willzee if that sound makes sense ...basically 'Will' then the sound of a long 'z' Willzeeee hehehehe

Anyway I was home after work waiting for my partner to get home and decided to attempted to introduce Willie to Selfies.....Well Willie prefers kissies with mummy much more than selfies but I got one and it made it on to Facebook and onto Dogs Online so hello to anyone reading this as I suppose im not so anonymous anymore lol but here is my very rapidly growing girl and one very tired mum so please excuse how I look.

I have also attached a photo where she is flashing you her 'oh please mummy eyes'

and a photo with her with her room mate and adoptive sister Maple.

Enjoy :)

post-53328-0-63523400-1438937356_thumb.jpg

post-53328-0-42830600-1438937374_thumb.jpg

post-53328-0-61175900-1438937383_thumb.jpg

Today was grooming day, normally Sunday is grooming day but as we have a show on Saturday and Sunday and I dont know if I will get a chance to clip and trim her up before then so I thought I better do it today :).

This was my 3rd time clipping her up in a full show clip and im getting better/bolder although I dont know if thats a good thing, I even attacked her face/head with the clippers lol and before all you professionals shoot me down in arrows the bottom half looks amazing..... its just a shame about the top of her head lol. No no the thinning scissors evened everything out vaguely hehe well I guess I have to learn some how and trial and error is the best way or the only way in this case.

I still get a bit stuck with her feet also...I hate hate hate doing nails!!!!! and I always take off too much hair from between her toes but again I guess I just have to keep practicing. I was bound to stuff her head up at some stage!