Teach Dog To Honk Bike Horn

Roova

I bought a cute pink old style bike horn recently, the one with the rubber bulb at the end that you compress to make a noise.

Through shaping Poppy will put her mouth around the rubber bit but she won't squeeze down to make a sound. If I wait for 'more' she gets frustrated and paws at it or nudges with her nose and ultimately walks away. I've tried gently squeezing it myself to make a sound as she mouths it but it hasn't seemed to have helped.

Any suggestions on what to try to encourage a biting action? Thanks for any help :)

I bought a cute pink old style bike horn recently, the one with the rubber bulb at the end that you compress to make a noise.

Through shaping Poppy will put her mouth around the rubber bit but she won't squeeze down to make a sound. If I wait for 'more' she gets frustrated and paws at it or nudges with her nose and ultimately walks away. I've tried gently squeezing it myself to make a sound as she mouths it but it hasn't seemed to have helped.

Any suggestions on what to try to encourage a biting action? Thanks for any help :)

LOL.... reminds me of my friend who tried to show HER doofus how to use the doggy door.

She got STUCK half-way thro' the door.

Local Firies thought it the best job ever when they came to help.

(Her ever so daft Mum rang them. Thing was the friend was in shortie pyjamas that where rather revealing).

Benjie 'got' the door in the end. How? 'cos I stood on the other side & offered food. Labs of the world always 'do for food).

:flower:

hmm maybe if you keep making the honk when she's mouthing and then treat her she will associate the honk with a treat and try to make it honk herself

my dog would have ripped the squeeze off the horn at this point LOL

LOL!

All she's doing it making it slimy for me to touch. I think half the problem is the bulby bit is a bit large for her so I'll just have to practice the art of patience.

I went on an ebay spending frenzy recently and I have random items starting to turn up to use as tricks. I have a weeny basketball net turning up soon so I expect I'll be back asking questions about that one too. What was I thinking?

LOL!

All she's doing it making it slimy for me to touch. I think half the problem is the bulby bit is a bit large for her so I'll just have to practice the art of patience.

I went on an ebay spending frenzy recently and I have random items starting to turn up to use as tricks. I have a weeny basketball net turning up soon so I expect I'll be back asking questions about that one too. What was I thinking?

Um, maybe that you are a great Momma spoiling your ever so lovely puppy?

:flower:

I bell trained Luna quite early on... And then at about 6 months of age she figured out she could pull the bell off the hook and run around the house with it :rofl:

You've inspired me though, I'm going to have a look around at what items we can use for new tricks!

Don't forget the work place too lol!

Our spare work desk bell has been heaps of fun to muck around with. Poppy is meant to ring it once with a paw tap but she can ring it four times in a row when she tries hard. Cracks me up.

VM thank you, we both have so much fun! Well I'd like to think it's 'we' lol

VM thank you, we both have so much fun! Well I'd like to think it's 'we' lol

Been a long time belief/thought of mine that the human should have as much fun & enjoyment as the dog...

I thrive on reading posts about what goes on with others.

:heart: